Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion or 911 Targa?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BK911
I've changed my mind almost every day, sometimes several times a day. One day I am doing a -6 conversion, the next I am selling and picking up an early 911 Targa.

I have about 5k in my 914. Add the $'s for a -6 conversion, 5 lug, fuchs and brakes, and I am about $15k out of pocket. I can pick up a decent 911T Targa for that.

I think both body styles are funky looking enough to make them look awesome. So looks are even. $'s are close enough to be even. 914 should have the performance, but the 911 should have the resale.

What would you do?

beerchug.gif
markb
911 targas are NOISY!! The Cap'n has an SC targa for sale that I got to drive to & from GAF this last year. I drove down with the top off, and it was a LOT noisier than a 914, and drove home with the top on, and I swear it was even noisier. I've heard from 911 targa owners that they are noisy even with new seals, and everything adjusted correctly. They leak worse than a 914.
Just my .02, stay with building a /6. You'll be happier in the long run.
anthony
I kept looking for the right 914-6 and it never came. I thought about doing a big six conversion but when I added it up it never made sense. I wasn't even seriously looking for a 911 when my '81 911SC came along. It was a killer deal and when I do the math it made more sense to me than a conversion or a $25K 914-6.

Don't let any naysayers sway you. A 911 is fun to drive and can be driven very fast with some training. A 914 by comparison is easy to drive with little training.

I'm glad I have both cars even though sometimes it's tough devoting enough time to both.
markb
To add to the above, I loved my 82 SC, but it wasn't a targa. To me, one of each (914 & 911-not targa) is the way to go.
SLITS
Elebens are parts donors for conversions!
markb
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 15 2007, 05:18 PM) *

Elebens are parts donors for conversions!

agree.gif chairfall.gif
iamchappy
If it was me, without question it would be the 914 but thats me.
BK911
A lot of good opinions here. It may come down to flipping a coin.

Hey, guess what I just noticed? The skin color is L63K, willow green. That's the color of my 914! It must be a sign. So problem solved, keep the 914.

biggrin.gif
markb
QUOTE(BK911 @ Feb 15 2007, 05:45 PM) *

Hey, guess what I just noticed? The skin color is L63K, willow green. That's the color of my 914! It must be a sign. So problem solved, keep the 914.

biggrin.gif

I wish I could make my decisions so easily. smile.gif
BK911
I'm sure I'll change my mind again. I need a life!
bondo
You could do a little of each.. Sell the 914, add $10k, and buy a completed /6 conversion. biggrin.gif
jd74914
My Dad had a 914 in the 70s/80s. He always wanted a '69 911E Targa. Maybe 3 years ago he bought a '71 911E Targa that had been imported from Germany (it has all of the German decals and the metric gauges). He really likes the 911 and its all he ever wanted, but now he's been thinking about 914s for commuter cars. He says that the cars both seem very similar for him. We don't AX, but just like the open air feel with the Porsche sound. smile.gif

So anyways, I agree with Royce . . . a little of both is the best laugh.gif
degreeoff
I KNOW I will get a early 911 as soon as I am done with my six....and buy a plane....One will be mine......one will be mine.....one will be mine
Brando
Go with the conversion.

In the end, you'll be happier.

The Targa 'Parts Donor' won't handle as well as a modified 914-6, nor be as quick (acceleration) without having spent the cost of a 914-6 conversion in suspension mods. Then there's performance mods (easiest is to swap in a much larger engine or rebuild [$$$$$]))... Best investment would be the 914 for fun factor. But if you're looking to get money out of either car in the longrun, a properly-done six conversion should fetch to close a 911 targa.
BK911
I am slightly leaning towards keeping the 914. I'm still not sure about the conversion though. The conversion parts are ridiculously expensive. The heat exchangers alone are almost as much as I paid for my entire car! Then the oil tank and lines? I am almost ready to sell my kidney too.
brp914
I have both 914-6 and 911 targa (which does not leak). Each has its role. The 911 is great for weekend trips cuz you can stash a cooler and whatnot in back, and rides a little softer. There is probably more windnoise than a 914 since the top is not fiberglass like a 914. But you can get hardtops for them on ebay. As for converting a 914 to -6, my guess is a lot of the time and money will go down the drain on resale, whereas with a early 911 you only pay for how much you use it up.
GeorgeRud
I've also had both, though my 911 targa was more than happy to leak (directly on your left thigh from the corner). I agree that the 911 rides smoother, and the small back seat area was helpful when my kids were small, but I eventually sold it and kept the 914-6. Now, as my hips and knees are getting older and not as happy to get out of the lowered 914-6, I'm reconsidering whether to get another targa or cabriolet.

Both are fun, but the 914 has been a lot more fun to drive in my opinion.
Cruzing
I have not driven my 914/6 yet, hopefully soon, I have driven 911's there very good also. my costs was $10,000 out the door expense so far, poorman's conversion project, so the question is which one will satisfy your driving needs, I choose 914/6, let ya know when I get it on the road, very soon too... smile.gif
jim912928
I have both....love both and won't give up either!...both of mine leak alittle but hey...the tops are always off! You'll find a targa noisier with the top off only at higher speeds as wind get's trapped in that big back window area. For me (and I've had 911 coupes also)...I love the targa for the open air (i had a cab also and I just don't like the looks of the entire softtop).
*kennyd*914
I completely understand where your head is regarding the conversion or the 911. I'm going to look at a conversion in 3 weeks (with the intention of picking up one complete vs having the work done). If the /6 isn't up to par, I will go with the "Project 911" and keep my 914 as the summer shopping cart.
PRS914-6
I have a nice 911 for sale. See my signature. Great car, lots of compliments whever it goes. I'm selling it to fund my 914 3.6 project.

The 911 just does not have enough HP for me. I don't like the way 911's handle either. You have to stay on top of the throttle or you may see behind you.

You will never get all your money out of a conversion but personally I don't care since it's a once in my life dream car. A 911 that is decent will hold it's value. A 914-6 will be more fun to drive. The 911 will be a more comfortable daily driver.

Now it's your decision......
Michael N
I have had both. If I ever did a 911 again I would not get a targa. Everything seemed to streach and flex on the car when cornering.
Justinp71
Definitley a 914-6, you can blow past them and they never see it coming, Complete wolf in a sheeps clothing. Most people have no idea of the value of a 914-6 when they see it in a lot so they won't mess with it either.

Also no offense but you don't have the potential to look like a pumpous prick, like most people judge 911 owners.

The only thing that 911s have on 914-6's are some creature comforts...
BK911
I forgot to mention that I have an early 911 coupe and have owned several early 911 targas. So I am familar with the differences. I wanted to get others opinions to see if I was alone in my thinking.

The original plan was to get an open air 4 cylinder beater. But now it's just not fast enough, so maybe an open air 6 cylinder beater is the ticket.

I may just hop up the 4. How much power can I get out of the 1.7 and still retain the original fuel injection? Or at least original looking fuel injection?

Justin: Exactly what I was thinking, more of the sleeper look.
jd74914
If you already have a longhood, my vote would be to build a nice and quick /6.

One of each is always good laugh.gif
woobn8r
I have had several early 911 coupes my most recent (a '72 S) was 2nd in the peoples choice at Hershey 2002....Great cars to own and drive...

I wouldn't own a 911 Targa.

I am doing my 914 as I have always wanted an open top. IMHO it's the only way to go if you want an open top.
So.Cal.914
There are people that love their 911's and it would not matter to them what

you have done to your 914. It could be superior to there 911 in every way

and that would make them hate it even more. I like 911's, I think they are

great cars. What else would we use as donors, what else would posers use as

a leaning post? No I really do like them but I like the handling of a mid-engine

car over an assdrag...er I mean a 911.
xitspd
I own an original 75 Carrera (except addition composite front and rear bumpers and front RS oil cooler) and a not so original 70 914-6. I would not mind selling the Carrera, but the teener is part of the family tree!

Dan
SLITS
Since Porsche spent many years and engineering hours to TRY to make an assdragger handle like a mid engine car ...... well, that might tell you something.

And Eleben is a true VW .....
burton73
I had a 79 Targa same color combo as my 86 Cab shown with full Cork leather with a fresh targa top that did not leak. My Cab I only drive when it is a sunny day and I want to put the top down. The new 914-6 will be the same color as shown on the 916. I have had more fun in 914 cars than other Porsche cars. I love them all but a 914 with some real power handles like nothing else and forgives the times that I have gone too fast on the curves and had to get my foot out of the gas. Now I do not know how to race on a track but I have my fun and I can go much faster with a 914 with power than I can with any of the 911s that I have had in the turns. The sound of the 6 is what I want to hear and I believe the resale for the real deal will be there because like real estate they are not making anymore. O, I like blue cars.

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.