Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: advice on shipping big or heavy parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
OK all you parts dealers our there I have a question, I know what's new headbang.gif

When it comes to shipping big items what's the best
way to do it? In this case it would be a tail shift trans
also 5 mahle rims. I have a pallet for the trans, so would
you just strap in down, should I make a box cover for it?
how do you do it?

Thanks!
redshift
Pallet, use bailing wire, watch the mounts, don't leave any parts hangin off the edge.

Last time I shipped a transaxle, I made a cardboard shroud over the already wired transaxle, then wired that down too.

M
GWN7
You can wrap it (trans) in saran warp. Before strapping it to a pallet. To protect it from getting anything on it in transit.

Cardboard box for the rims. Put an extra layer of cardboard between them for protection.

Shipping by greyhound is fairly cheap. Sent a fiberglass hood from ND to Tenn for $28
Pnambic
Used Forward Air to get a transmission once. They did a decent job for a decent price. Though you need to be near a Forward Air "hub" to really take advantage of the cheaper prices. I know there's one here in Indy. I think there's one in Chicago too. Is there one near where you're sending it?
seanery
I used forward air to ship a full front & rear suspension from LA to WI. I got a pallet at Home Depot and used the above mentioned stretch wrap. No problems.

TAKE CASH with you to Forward Air. They don't take check or plastic.
3d914
I used FedEx Freight for an engine and trans. I made the pallets, plastic wrapped it to pallet, got a cost quote from their nearest office, they picked up. Too easy.

Do use check, as they prefer over too much cash.

Enjoy!
Joe Bob
Lift with your legs....back straight, drink AFTERWARDS....
redshift
AF may not take credit, but they may want plenty of references now.

Bring much ID and credit, security thingy.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.