Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best carbs for a 1.7 stock motor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fall-apart-dave
What are the best choice of carbs for a stock 1.7 lump? I was looking at IDFs or DRLA's, but not sure which size is best. Hearing mixed thoughts, some say 40's, others 36's... Any help out there?
Aaron Cox
DRLA 36's....

or you could run single barrel ICT's or ask joe sharp, he is running solexes on linda's 1.7
Trevorg7
I've got dual Weber 34ict's on mine. Run great, efficent, but not a lot of power.

T
So.Cal.914
Are you going to keep it a 1.7? Do you have any plans to build a 1911?

If yes to the second Q, I would get 40's. If yes to the first, what Aaron said.
fall-apart-dave
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 16 2007, 01:47 PM) *

Are you going to keep it a 1.7? Do you have any plans to build a 1911?

If yes to the second Q, I would get 40's. If yes to the first, what Aaron said.

Power wanted. Plan is to build a monster in the end. Still planning that though! Want to be able to use it now (fuel not an issue) but for it to cope later on in life!
gregrobbins
Run 94mm or 96mm pistons, Raby 9550 or Web 86A cam and 40mm Webers or MegaSquirt fuel injection.

If you run carbs with a stock cam, you won't be too happy.
toon1
why in the world would you go with carbs!!?? stay with the F.I. happy11.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
Ok, this is just my personal experience.

I started with dual 40mm webers.
They work, but I ended up at 28mm vents to get it ti run anywhere near decent in the idle circuit...

It still was to a certain extent on or off with those carbs.

If you got 36mm webers, the range would be better, the transition circuit would be a bit more tunable, and overall I think that you might like driving it a bit more.

Now, Dells versus Webers.
Dell 40's = weber 44's
Dell 44's = weber 48's

The Dells flow more than the webers.
So be careful buying 40mm dells to replace those 44 webers, cause you will land in the same spot.
If you go for 40's get webers.

Rich
fall-apart-dave
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 16 2007, 08:02 PM) *

Ok, this is just my personal experience.

I started with dual 40mm webers.
They work, but I ended up at 28mm vents to get it ti run anywhere near decent in the idle circuit...

It still was to a certain extent on or off with those carbs.

If you got 36mm webers, the range would be better, the transition circuit would be a bit more tunable, and overall I think that you might like driving it a bit more.

Now, Dells versus Webers.
Dell 40's = weber 44's
Dell 44's = weber 48's

The Dells flow more than the webers.
So be careful buying 40mm dells to replace those 44 webers, cause you will land in the same spot.
If you go for 40's get webers.

Rich

36's are the way forward then! I got carbs, so I'm keeping carbs. May inject later, for now though carbs.
r_towle
All of that was answering the original question...STOCK 1.7 motor.
If you plan to go bigger, have a different cam, or any head work done...the 36mm may be to small after that...

Rich
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I have run both on my 1.7 . The 34's get increditably good milage , ( high 30's)

but runs out of steam way to early. It will run 80mph all day,but takes a 1/2 a day to get there. Go to the 40's give up some millage for upper end power,passing on freeway and such. Sound better to. If you go to a 2.0 or bigger just rejet. Dave slap.gif
jr91472
For what it is worth, I am running a 1.8L (with 1.7 heads) and a mild, but carb friendly cam.

My Dell 40's with 32mm vents idle and run great. I have considered trying out 30mm vents just to see if they would be any better, but haven't gotten around to it. The Dells really flow well driving.gif

beer.gif
Grelber
JR: Just think how good it'll run when you build that 2270. biggrin.gif
jr91472
QUOTE(Grelber @ Feb 18 2007, 03:48 PM) *

JR: Just think how good it'll run when you build that 2270. biggrin.gif

STOP IT!!!! ar15.gif
Grelber
biggrin.gif
fall-apart-dave
QUOTE(Grelber @ Feb 18 2007, 05:54 PM) *

biggrin.gif

So if I were to go for 40's (Dell or IDF) what would you guys reccomend I jet and vent at? 32mm vents with what jets (never even opened a carb before so this'll be fun!)
jr91472
QUOTE(fall-apart-dave @ Feb 19 2007, 03:12 AM) *

biggrin.gif

So if I were to go for 40's (Dell or IDF) what would you guys reccomend I jet and vent at? 32mm vents with what jets (never even opened a carb before so this'll be fun!)

Like the others have said, consider your long term plans for the motor so you only have to buy carbs once.

FWIW: My Dell 40's are setup:

idles 55
main 140
air 180
emu .2
pump jet 35

I also replaced my 050 dizzy with a stock 009 and a Crane Allen Fireball ignition. This allowed me to connect the vac advance to the carb and has had the most dramatic impact on performance than anything else I have done. I hear Mallory's are even better.

Also, if you go with Dell's, familiarize yourself with CB Performance. They have been the only place I have found that consistently carries parts for Dells.

good luck and keep us posted.
fall-apart-dave
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Feb 19 2007, 06:55 AM) *

QUOTE(fall-apart-dave @ Feb 19 2007, 03:12 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Like the others have said, consider your long term plans for the motor so you only have to buy carbs once.

FWIW: My Dell 40's are setup:

idles 55
main 140
air 180
emu .2
pump jet 35

I also replaced my 050 dizzy with a stock 009 and a Crane Allen Fireball ignition. This allowed me to connect the vac advance to the carb and has had the most dramatic impact on performance than anything else I have done. I hear Mallory's are even better.

Also, if you go with Dell's, familiarize yourself with CB Performance. They have been the only place I have found that consistently carries parts for Dells.

good luck and keep us posted.

What cam do you run and where did you get it from? I have a vac advance dizzy already, just trying to find a way of connecting it up.
jr91472
QUOTE(fall-apart-dave @ Feb 19 2007, 07:02 AM) *

What cam do you run and where did you get it from? I have a vac advance dizzy already, just trying to find a way of connecting it up.

confused24.gif
I had the engine rebuilt about 20 years and 20k miles ago. That is when I lost my FI chair.gif and at that time didn't know enough about motors to ask too many questions. It is NOT super aggressive, very drivable for street and a/x.

Plenty of other good and informed suggestions here though (Raby, webcam, etc).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.