Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headers and heaters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FEF
Forgive my ignorance. While I'm not new to vehicluar mods, I'm finding that the 914 is a bit different.

I couldn't help but notice the header thread that's a few pages back. It shows a number of pictures of some sweet headers that I may not be able to live without. The one I like mose is the Tangerine Header.

As with any vehicle build, one must ask what the vehicle will be used for. In my case, it's a daily driver so defrosting and heating is fairly important. The question is, are there any headers that can have good strong heating?

What header would you all recommend for someone that wants a quality unit that will later support, perhaps, a big bore kit, while still maintaning acceptable defrosting. I'm trying to buy stuff that I can grow into. I'm not afraid to spend $1000 on the good stuff, if I don't have to do it twice.

Thanks in advance
3d914
I could be wrong on this, but I don't believe there are any headers (short of custom) that include the "heater boxes" required for the 914's to get heat into the cockpit.

Good luck,
Joe Bob
Headers replace heater boxes......Bursch makes an extractor system that bolts to the heater boxes and gives a scavenging effect that improves performance on cars that had the later systems that had cat pipes....but I have told that the stock 73-74 HEs with the stock muffler works the best if you need heat.
Bleyseng
Stock SSI units with a Bursch or Triad is gud and has heat. No header unit so far has heat.
Geoff welder.gif
Joe Bob
SSIs are stainless copies of the 73-74 Heater boxes.....aka HEs or heat exchangers....
FEF
I suppose another option might be a gas heater from an old VW bus. I think they had a gas fired heater, maybe made by Webasto or Espar? I have a diesel fired unit in my U1100. Given my experiance with Webasto and Espar, they will do VERY well in this application.

In theory, one could use any pipe they wanted and add a gas fired HE for heat and defroster. I'll have to look into this a bit more. Since I plan to cut out some of my trunk, there should be plenty of room for things like this.

Right now, I'm thinking something like THIS might be the ticket. That is the diesel version, but it's equilivent in specs to the gas unit. The more I think about it, I like the idea of a seperate heater unit a lot.
Dave_Darling
I think the original heaters on the Bugs and Buses were Webasto or Eberspacher. From what I have read, they are somewhat non-trivial to hook up to a 914 reasonably.

Some people have used electrical heaters. From the sound of it, they can usually defrost a window but they won't heat the cabin very well without putting a huge drain on the battery.

The rumor mill has mentioned something about Chris at Tangerine possibly making a revised version of his header that has some heat-exchanger ducting wrapped around part of it.

But right now, if you need heat then you need SSIs.

--DD
ChrisFoley
As a matter of fact I was working on the second and third prototypes of my heat exchanger/muff today. The first one ships out this week with the header I built it for.
Here's another pic of the first prototype:
r_towle
I was gonna say, Chris makes em with heat now!!!!! boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

Now i'll get one,,,gotta get the frost off the winshield in the morning...

Chris your pic isnt there???

Rich
DuckRyder
Picture no worky,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
FEF
HUMmmmmmmm

So I can get a Tangerine header with the heater box on it???????

That sounds just too easy.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(FEF @ Nov 24 2003, 06:55 PM)
HUMmmmmmmm

So I can get a Tangerine header with the heater box on it???????

That sounds just too easy.

Not only that, but you can install/remove the heater by yourself without much work. You could buy the header and heater separately and they will still fit together easily. smile.gif No smash.gif
DuckRyder
Dammit, This car has got to leave my garage or I will be broke.................................................... chair.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.