Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket EFI for the 6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Johny Blackstain
I am aware of what Bosch has to offer in the ways of factory fuel injection systems, both MFI & all the EFIs, but I was curious if there was any info on an aftermarket fuel injection system for the 6 cylinder, air cooled engines? 9xauto sells one for the 4, w/ 4 individual injectors & 4 throttle bodies & ECU & I was wondering if there was a similar animal for the 6, w/ 6 individual throttle bodies? Thanks. cool_shades.gif
jmmotorsports
TWM makes i t b's for the six. You will need engine management also. Clewett Engineering has everything you need. www.clewett.com.

Jerry
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Feb 17 2007, 06:54 PM) *

TWM makes i t b's for the six. You will need engine management also. Clewett Engineering has everything you need. www.clewett.com.

Jerry

Why does everything I want cost so much money!! I wonder what kind of power you could get out of a 2.7 w/ 10.5 to 1 compression? They're beautiful & thanks for the tip. cool_shades.gif
azbill
Take a look at Emerald for about $1,000 or Megasquirt for about $500.

Bill
anthony
This guy has a pre-built Megasquirt kit:

http://www.bitzracing.com/products/index.html

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(anthony @ Feb 17 2007, 10:07 PM) *

confused24.gif Where are the throttle bodies? cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(azbill @ Feb 17 2007, 09:44 PM) *

Take a look at Emerald for about $1,000 or Megasquirt for about $500.

Bill

confused24.gif Forgive me, but what is Emerald? Thanks. cool_shades.gif
anthony
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Feb 17 2007, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(anthony @ Feb 17 2007, 10:07 PM) *

confused24.gif Where are the throttle bodies? cool_shades.gif

You don't need them. You use the CIS intake with this kit.

ottox914
www.sdsefi.com.

check out my install thread for a 4 cyl:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=53733&hl=

The sds will work with aftermarket ITB's, or any factory FI hardware. Well, not CIS, but any EFI hardware.

I thought it had a good balance of features for price, and support second to none.
rfuerst911sc
I have a 1983 - 911SC that one year ago I decided to remove the CIS and replace with ITB's and go EFI. I purchased TWM 3003 46MM throttle bodies,Megasquirt II ECU and all the bells and whistles. Last week I gave up on the EFI as I couldn't get it tuned properly even with the assistance of a local MS " guru ". It was very frustrating to have payed all that money ( aprox. $3000.00 ) and not be able to get it running correctly after a year of tuning. I removed all the EFI hardware this past Saturday and my mechanic has ordered the complete PMO carb kit and I have sent out my distributor to be recurved. My message to anyone going after market EFI make sure you have local support because chasing tuning ghosts via email is very difficult. Fortunately I was able to sell almost all the items I had so I recouped most of my cost but I lost a year of driving my car. I also have a 1975 - 914 that I just recently purchased as a roller and I will be going carbs on what ever engine I purchase. EFI is a great thing but I question if most of these smaller companies have the research $$$ that the OEM's do to work out all the bugs in software,sensors etc. In my case it was far from being plug and play and dyno time is $$$. Good luck to anyone that goes this route. I will say the link posted earlier in this thread for the Tbitz Racing EFI I have heard many success stories on 911's on the Pelican site. Tonys kit uses a MS ECU but he keeps the price low by useing the OEM CIS intake runners and airbox. He supplies injector bungs that slide in place in the CIS runners that allow the mounting of EFI injectors. His kit is well thought out and I know there are cars that have been running his system for 2 years plus. beerchug.gif
Dominic
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Feb 17 2007, 04:33 PM) *

I am aware of what Bosch has to offer in the ways of factory fuel injection systems, both MFI & all the EFIs, but I was curious if there was any info on an aftermarket fuel injection system for the 6 cylinder, air cooled engines? 9xauto sells one for the 4, w/ 4 individual injectors & 4 throttle bodies & ECU & I was wondering if there was a similar animal for the 6, w/ 6 individual throttle bodies? Thanks. cool_shades.gif

Check out EBAY for a used Electromotive TEC II systems, you can also find the trigger wheel and pulley for 911 engines. Here are some links.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Electromoti...sspagenameZWDVW
TimT
We are a Haltech distributor, E6X is around $1300 now then to that you have to add( if you want to use crankfire) or you can use the dist if you want to simplify the install.

coil packs hardware etc= $1000
throttle bodies= $1200

you up around $3500 now justy in hardware, installation and tuning is extra. We have a few dozen EFI cars that we have built and maintain. Sorry if I come off as flipant, but the installs and tuning are pretty easy.

I have never tuned a megasquirt so I am not comfortable talking about that. Off the shelf name brand systems are pretty reliable.

Id stay away from theh Tecs.... software is a headache BTDT
SDS is a great system for a DIYer
Haltech is great
Link is great
Motec is great $$

Im going to build a megasquirt system this winter and install on mypersonal car to see what thats all about

700 hp cupcar with Haltech E11

636 hp with Haltech F9

375 Hp with Tec 1

The lates madness, HP to be announced, Haltech E6X

Haltechs... we really like this system as you can tell

Johny Blackstain
Thanks to all of you. As usual, there is no real plug & play w/ the older 6. I'm running Webbers & am very familiar w/ what a pain in the ass they are. dry.gif I already have crankfire ignition & love it. Not having a distributor in the engine bay is cool & saves space. I was hoping to upgrade the fuel delivery system as the ignition had already been upgraded. Obviously it's expensive hardware & I did not factor in tuning time/$ as well. Live w/ the Webbers & re-read my Webber manual. cool_shades.gif
TimT
If you already have crankfire, you can use a fuel only ECU like the Haltech F10, however you leave a bit on the table since you cant really match the advance curve to the fuel load sites. I take it you have a Electromotive HPX ignition?

Id recommend getting a full ECU though, one that controls spark and fuel. then each load site can be tuned for correct ful and max power

Webers are great.. I dont think they are a PIA at all...pretty much set and forget...

I used them for years on my car

Also I forgot to mention you need new fuel pump(s) for EFI and the plumbing to install.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(TimT @ Feb 18 2007, 04:48 PM) *

If you already have crankfire, you can use a fuel only ECU like the Haltech F10, however you leave a bit on the table since you cant really match the advance curve to the fuel load sites. I take it you have a Electromotive HPX ignition?

Id recommend getting a full ECU though, one that controls spark and fuel. then each load site can be tuned for correct ful and max power

Webers are great.. I dont think they are a PIA at all...pretty much set and forget...

I used them for years on my car

Also I forgot to mention you need new fuel pump(s) for EFI and the plumbing to install.

Yes, I do have the Electromotive HPX ignition. The PIA is the "setting" part... something I have'nt done in a while & those engine bays get more & more uncomfortable. Man I need a lift. Been spoiled working at my friends body shop & using his. Anyway, after setting you can forget them ... for a while at least. Have to remember to use stabilizer every time. They go bad when you let them sit w/out something to keep the gas from turning into shellac. cool_shades.gif
ottox914
Options: you could sell your current crankfired ignition and go with the full boat SDS or other systems that combine fuel and spark, or, SDS, and maybe some others offer a fuel only system, which would be a snap to install. SDS will even custom fabricate your harness lengths, just measure things out carefully, and your harness really WILL be plug and play. I had messed around with a home brew kit for nearly a year, (year of missed driving), and thought I was saving a few bucks by doing so. In retrospect, spending the $$$ on the SDS was what I should have done. I do believe I got MORE than I paid for, with the ease of install, tuning, and most of all, support. Just buy a calling card for Canada, and you're set. They even speak english, well sort of, eh?
Johny Blackstain
unsure.gif Who or what is SDS? Thanks. cool_shades.gif
jd74914
Simple Digital Systems.
ottox914
You can find them here:

www.sdsefi.com

heck of site, lots to read and learn.
Mark Henry
I don't care what system you end up with...but reading everything on the SDS site is good advice.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 19 2007, 11:07 AM) *

I don't care what system you end up with...but reading everything on the SDS site is good advice.

Thank you all. beerchug.gif I'm not sure what to consider at this point. It's not so much a quest for power but a quest for smooth, reliable power, w/ little or no maintenance. I like building & repairing, not maintaining at this stage of my life. Not the ultimate but damned nice anyway. I was telling George Hussey how I'd like to build an engine out of a 78 bus... yes, a hydro cam. No more adjusting valves, a big bore kit (2.4), dual plug 2.0 heads & ITB fuel injection w/ coil packs/ignition. A high powered, low maintenance engine. In thinking of that 4, I realized that a six pack of ITB's should be on something w/ a hydro cam as well, one of the later, larger engines. That of course leads to one thinking of a 915, the tranny that belongs in the 916 in the 1st place. Too much $ to build the "916RSR", my personal concept/favorite teener. I think I'll just dream for now & putz around w/ some rust repair & coming up w/ a steel roof & paint scheme. cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.