Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tiptronic in 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shadygrady
I recently bought a 1990 911 with the 3.6 and tiptronic. I love driving it and came up with a crazy idea. I want to put one in my street 914. Has anyone done this? I want to mate it to a 3.6. Is the tiptronic in a boxter the same as the one in my 911? If so, it would not need the gears flipped. Any help with this dream would be appreciated.
DanT
IIRC a 1990 C2 tip is a 4 speed, in a Boxster they are 5 speed.
you would need the ECU, computer for the tranny and all the sensors.

I believe the tip uses speed sensors from the ABS, speedometer, yaw and G sensors and several other things I cant think of right now. And since the ECU for your 3.6 is different than the ECU in a tip Boxster I don't know if the two components could even communicate with each other.

I am sure, like most things, it could be done but it would be a computer programmers nitemare.... smile.gif
Rouser
QUOTE(shadygrady @ Feb 18 2007, 12:06 AM) *

I recently bought a 1990 911 with the 3.6 and tiptronic. I love driving it and came up with a crazy idea. I want to put one in my street 914. Has anyone done this? I want to mate it to a 3.6. Is the tiptronic in a boxter the same as the one in my 911? If so, it would not need the gears flipped. Any help with this dream would be appreciated.

Nope, hasn't been done by anyone here (we just go out and buy a Boxster if we want a miid-engine w/slushbox).

A mod like that requires an open-wallet policy (we tend to be CSOB's), a ton of engineering (ergo, the open-wallet policy), and if you're not doing all the work yourself, did I mention the open-wallet policy?

Cheaper to buy a Boxster; Porsche already did all the R&D for ya.
Steve
I have a TIP in my 993 and looked into converting it back to a manual. It's huge bucks since the tip is tied into everything.
There was a guy in San Diego that converted a 914 to an auto using an Audi trans.
It is doable, however I agree with the other posts. A four speed in a 914 would suck unless you have some massive six behind it.
fall-apart-dave
There is a doable way of doing it, much cheaper than re-engineering something...

Take the box, lump, ECU, the whole dangleberry shebang from a car that has a physically similar sized set to what you have and slam that in there. Sure, it'll need some chopping, welding, cussing, and some creativity... But it wouldn't be any different from doing what someone I know did when he converted his Mitsubishi FTO to 4wd with an Evolution lump and box. How many guys out there have shoehorned something stupid into their 914's? Even I'm looking at a Subaru Karmann Ghia right now as my next project, in the meantime have founda how-to on fitting a 911 box to my bug so that I have 5 gears instead of 4!
alpha434
Guys.

Mendeola.
type47
grasshopper (barry fuller, maybe bf, jr) researched this about 6 mo ago. you might contact him about what he knows. if i remember, he wanted a 914 w/auto for his mom.
3.6 johndeer 914
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 18 2007, 10:47 AM) *

I have a TIP in my 993 and looked into converting it back to a manual. It's huge bucks since the tip is tied into everything.
There was a guy in San Diego that converted a 914 to an auto using an Audi trans.
It is doable, however I agree with the other posts. A four speed in a 914 would suck unless you have some massive six behind it.

I think he said he wanted to mate the tiptronic to a 3.6 six so he would have a massive six. In my 3.6 manual, I only use gears 2-5. Isn't the tiptronic in the 1990 C2 the same as the Audi? Can the gear be flipped?
Twystd1
I think you could use a SPORTO box and not have to worry about all the wiring issues.

I know where a sporto is with a mag cased 2.0 SIX attached to it.
ALL for about 3500 bucks. Engine SUPPOSEDLY just gone through. Has Weber 40s.

Comes with a 911 flared body, 911 seats, gauges and front end.

It's in SoCal. I know where it's stashed.

Just a thought.....

Clayton
Brando
It would be easier to transfer the whole package from a boxster to a 914. Dunno why you would want a sliptronic though...
shadygrady
Thanks for the replies. Buying a Boxter may be cheaper over the long haul, but I like 914's. That's why I have 3 of them. One of them needs an engine and tranny. I already bought a 3.6 for it and was planning to get an adapter from Kennedy to use a 901. Then I came upon this C2 with the tiptronic. The auto is fun and very practical when you get stuck in traffic. The 3.6 does very well with the 4 speed auto in the 964, so in a lighter 914, I figure it would do well. I would drive the 964 tail dragger everywhere, but you can't fit 2 sets of golf clubs and your luggage in it like you can the 914.

As for cost, I too am a CSOB. My best friend is a Porsche mechanic and likes to tackle projects like this if I can get the parts. If someone had already done it, we didn't want to reinvent the wheel. From what I gather from your posts, I need a tiptronic from a C2 like my 3.6 with the ECU, and the computer for the tranny. What all sensors go with the tiptronic? Also, I wonder about flipping the gears in the tranny. 4 reverses and one forward would be a problem.

Thanks again,
cnavarro
QUOTE(shadygrady @ Feb 19 2007, 06:49 PM) *

I would drive the 964 tail dragger everywhere, but you can't fit 2 sets of golf clubs and your luggage in it like you can the 914.

That's my biggest gripe. The trunk is worthless. And mine is a cab with a baby seat in the back, so no room there either. So much for grocery getter :-)
IronHillRestorations
While not as much luggage capacity as a 914, the Boxster can accept two sets of golf clubs (partially removed from small bags) and enough luggage for two for a weekend.

I learned how to drive on a manual shift, a 914 was my only car from 1978 to 1990, and I still love my Tip Boxster. Yes there is a little loss of HP over the manual, but surprising as some may find it, my "package" has not decreased in size!

I had a '91 C2 with the Tip and it was OK, but the '00 and newer automatics are much much better.

The selling point for the Tips, for me anyway, was riding with some of the factory drivers at the Weissach test track and the fastest driver was driving a Tip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.