Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: end play
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
41ghost
when installing a flywheel you are suppose to check for how much endplay there is. how do you adjust the endplay after you measure it? or do you just get whatever it is.
craig downs
You use a combination of three flywheel shims to get it to .006 end play
41ghost
where do these shims go ?
Allan
QUOTE(41ghost @ Feb 18 2007, 08:37 AM) *

where do these shims go ?

Between the flywheel and the crank IIRC and .006 is a little excessive. I would shoot for closer to .003 - .004.
Borderline
I believe the spec is .004", however in Jake's video they shoot for .005".

You need a dial indicator to measure the crank movement. remove all the shims and measure the end play (in my case .044"). take that number and subtract the .005" (.044-.005=.039). Buy three shims from Jake that add up to .039'. They're about $10 each.
Dave_Darling
You put the flywheel on with a couple of shims, then measure the play. Pull the flywheel off, figure out what combination of three shims gives you the spec play, and install those. (You usually wind up having to order them and wait for a while in the middle...) Use your old flywheel hardware when you do the measurement (and yes, torque the bolts to spec!) and the new hardware when you inhstall the flywheel "for real".

--DD
Aaron Cox
why is it 3 shims though?

if you can get .005 with 2 shims, why not?

i know the answer is 3 shims, just curious why...
41ghost
if you are already at .044 how do you get to .005 buy adding shims. i also am at around .045 with no shims and figure i need less endplay , how do i get less buy adding shims?
Bleyseng
You must do the measuring without the rear seal in and no inner O ring flywheel seal.

if you are at .044 now, buy 3 .013 shims=.039 so .044-.039=.005

There are three shims cuz the inner and outer rub/spin against the rear main bearing or the flywheel while the center shim spins against them. Prefect harmony!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.