Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Left turns only?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
So.Cal.914
I have read that some of you are not fans of nascar. I was in Daytona this

summer, stopped by and sacrifised a small animal at the foot of the marque

at the track. Anyone else a fan of muscle car racing
Allan
I'll watch bits and pieces of it but definitely have a hard time watching an entire race. I liked the Craftsman trucks when they would come to town and race the 1/2 mile track.

The wife loves it though so I sometimes have to do things I normally wouldn't...
rhodyguy
those guys at speed can sure talk a bunch and not say too much. hehe. the footage of the *old timers* throwin' down on the infield is great. with the new season starting we won't get as much luge and monster truck racing.

k
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 18 2007, 01:12 PM) *

Anything with wheels on and a motor that makes it go fast is good stuff in my book..........

'cept they need to leave half the commentating booth out of the picture.

Reminds me of what occurs when one mates with a cousin too many times in one's family tree. The gene pool becomes not only infected........it becomes degenerate.

OK. enogh on those poor shleps... ( they daddies all ran lightnin' back in the day.....so am sure that some probably got "spilled" a little along the trip and caused some disproportionate brain damage. ) Cousin Daisy Belle looked even better when they came home at 3 in the morning and couldn't tell if it was her or sheeplove.gif
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 18 2007, 01:31 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 18 2007, 01:12 PM) *

Anything with wheels on and a motor that makes it go fast is good stuff in my book..........

'cept they need to leave half the commentating booth out of the picture.

Reminds me of what occurs when one mates with a cousin too many times in one's family tree. The gene pool becomes not only infected........it becomes degenerate.

OK. enogh on those poor shleps... ( they daddies all ran lightnin' back in the day.....so am sure that some probably got "spilled" a little along the trip and caused some disproportionate brain damage. ) Cousin Daisy Belle looked even better when they came home at 3 in the morning and couldn't tell if it was her or sheeplove.gif

Also the same thing can happen if you go round too many times to the right or left.......the spermazoa gets the G-force treatment and everything becomes miscombobulated.

Seems I heard Buddy Bakers daddy tell some news man that one time....' drooley.gif
sumpn to that effect.........
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 18 2007, 09:36 AM) *

Also the same thing can happen if you go round too many times to the right or left.......the spermazoa gets the G-force treatment and everything becomes miscombobulated.

Seems I heard Buddy Bakers daddy tell some news man that one time....' drooley.gif

So what your saying is Daytona is one Giant centrefuge? That does explain

a few things. av-943.gif
Lou W
Yeh, I'll be watching it, I took the day off for the race. Id like to see Mikey win this one with Toyota. ph34r.gif

That Craftsman Truck Race Friday was awesome. driving.gif
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 18 2007, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 18 2007, 09:36 AM) *

So what your saying is Daytona is one Giant centrefuge? That does explain

a few things. av-943.gif

WE were just there in Daytona for the Rolex 24 and spent another 3 weeks touring Fla. ( keep a car down there just to get away a few times a year, like Rennsport, Sebring, some of the Audi and Porsche club races, as well as the 24 hours.)
Saw so much History and cool drivers, and technology spaced out to the max, its just all overload....... can't get enough. But, not really into this Nascar group and the massively exorbitant pricing Nascar pulls on its fans, nor the crowded atmosphere.

And we went on a tour of the Nasa Space Center on Merrit Island, and in the tour is a Centrifuge. Stinkin' one cool ride. After you get out, sit and gather your senses and amuse yourself with watching all the rest come away, looking like they are ready to spew......tooo funny.

I truly believe the centrifuge deal is a gimme in the explanation some of these yokels talk like they do, and never really get alot said.

But I gotta give them credit, those boys sure can drive !!!!! driving.gif
mrgreenejans
DerekKim
Uh oh they're onto us! Quickly somebody turn right!

I enjoy the crashes... those are always fun. I like watching a few minutes sometimes but not a full race.
So.Cal.914
Great race, and a Kali boy takes the checkered flag smilie_pokal.gif
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 18 2007, 08:32 PM) *

Best Nascar race I've seen in years....Harvick by what...3 feet over Mark Martin !! Yee haw...ride 'em cowboy !!!!

And the Dude that crosses the finish on his roof ----AND on Fire !!!! Love it.

The automotive version of football , but playing with others running with scissors, and doing it on 4 wheels !!!!

Gotta love that finish..... a memorable Daytona 500 to say the least.

beer.gif

mrgreenjeans
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 18 2007, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 18 2007, 08:32 PM) *

Best Nascar race I've seen in years....Harvick by what...3 feet over Mark Martin !! Yee haw...ride 'em cowboy !!!!

And the Dude that crosses the finish on his roof ----AND on Fire !!!! Love it.

The automotive version of football , but playing with others running with scissors, and doing it on 4 wheels !!!!

Gotta love that finish..... a memorable Daytona 500 to say the least.

beer.gif

mrgreenjeans

av-943.gif Amen
tracks914
Typical WWF NASCAR style ending. The rules to throw the yellow are....when ever they feel like it. (Actually they all have GPS transponders and the yellows are to be thrown at the first sign of an incident, this would have given the race to Mark but...) By all other NASCAR rules the victory should have been Marks but being so close to the finish line they decided to hold on for some reason. I can't wait to see how they explain it!!
boxstr
The yellow flag wasn't thrown becasue it would not have really helped Martin or Harvick since they were in front of the wreck, let them race to the finish.

People will piss and moan becasue of no yellow, just like they would if they had thrown the yellow. I think it was a fair way to let the race finish.

Hello f a weekend for Harvick, Busch race winner and Nextel winner. I bet he gets some tonight. wub.gif
CCLINNASCARNOTMYCAR
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(boxstr @ Feb 18 2007, 07:20 PM) *

The yellow flag wasn't thrown becasue it would not have really helped Martin or Harvick since they were in front of the wreck, let them race to the finish.

People will piss and moan becasue of no yellow, just like they would if they had thrown the yellow. I think it was a fair way to let the race finish.

Hello f a weekend for Harvick, Busch race winner and Nextel winner. I bet he gets some tonight. wub.gif
CCLINNASCARNOTMYCAR

agree.gif That's Racing...
Lou W
QUOTE(boxstr @ Feb 18 2007, 09:20 PM) *

CCLINNASCARNOTMYCAR

agree.gif let em race ph34r.gif

They had plenty of room to slow down before they would be driving through the accident mess, the wreck had no effect on Martin losing.

It was a good race and a great finish.

Tony said the crash kinda scared him, very similar hit that Senior had.
Crazyhippy
Bar none, the Nascar guys are the best RACERS out there. The Open wheel guys are better drivers however.

I dont agree w/ the call on the last lap, shouuld have gone yellow, then green white checker... let the 1st 2 race, and keep the guy racing for 7th safe...

If you want to go around in circles, try a sprint car in the dirt biggrin.gif

BJH
alpha434
I don't agree that Nascar is any good at all. Racers included.

But DAMN that was one incredible race. All I watched was the last few laps. But boy. Those were the highlights!
DanT
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Feb 18 2007, 10:13 PM) *

But DAMN that was one incredible race. All I watched was the last few laps. But boy. Those were the highlights!

well the F1/cart guy didn't do too well...
Steve Kinser didnt do so well years ago when he tried either.

....I find F1 to be boring, IRL isn't much better....about the only racing I watch anymore is ALMS or a little of the good ol boys at least they have passing and some excitement, instead of single file.
alpha434
I don't want to get into it. People have different tastes, that's all. I can appreciate that.

But a lot of the tracks in CO are closed because "NASCAR" is what the locals think is going on.

Those guys are entertaining, but would you want it happening down the street? More specifically, would your wife? Women are 70 percent more likely to complain. And if they don't understand what's really happening... BAM!! Our tracks are closed.
DanT
Chris,
I guess I don't understand what you are saying...really.
not arguing....

confused24.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Feb 19 2007, 12:28 AM) *

I don't want to get into it. People have different tastes, that's all. I can appreciate that.

But a lot of the tracks in CO are closed because "NASCAR" is what the locals think is going on.

Those guys are entertaining, but would you want it happening down the street? More specifically, would your wife? Women are 70 percent more likely to complain. And if they don't understand what's really happening... BAM!! Our tracks are closed.

confused24.gif
So.Cal.914

QUOTE(alpha434 @ Feb 19 2007, 12:28 AM) *

blink.gif
Lou W
Sooo,

Are women more likley to complain 70% of the time?

Are 70% of all women more likley to complain?

Are 70% of all women more likley to complain 70% of the time?

What is the likleyhood that your wife would complain 70% of the time?

Or is there a 70% chance that your wife complain?

Or is there a 70% chance that your wife would complain 70% of the time?

blink.gif

BTW: Jeff Gordon jumped in a F1 car for practice and did quite well. ph34r.gif

So.Cal.914
I think I got it, 70 year old entertaining women are more likely to have tracks

and taste differently then ones that complain like...my...wife? huh.gif
URY914
I say shorten the race to 100 laps. No yellow flags, no pit stops, no rules.

Let 'em race. biggrin.gif
Eddie Williams
I have to admit that I was not much of a fan either. I'd rather watch open wheel or sportscar racing anyday. That was until I won a trip last year to the BoA 500 in Charlotte. We got the VIP treatment for the weekend, schmoozed in the Toyota chalet, we even had BBQ lunch with Darrell Waltrip and family, at his offices. On Busch night, we drove around the track with two drivers in the back of my truck during drivers intros. After watching the races, I can honestly say, I have a new found respect for the "motorsport" side of it.

I'm going the wrong way into turn 2!
Click to view attachment

Me, Stevie and Dearrell, and my wife.
Click to view attachment
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 19 2007, 02:18 AM) *

QUOTE(alpha434 @ Feb 18 2007, 10:13 PM) *

well the F1/cart guy didn't do too well...
Steve Kinser didnt do so well years ago when he tried either.

....I find F1 to be boring, IRL isn't much better....about the only racing I watch anymore is ALMS or a little of the good ol boys at least they have passing and some excitement, instead of single file.

Just have to say...while at the Daytona 24 this past month, alot of the drivers in Nascar were there in the thick of it with the protoype cars mixing it up rather well.

Listened to a few of them talk, in their pit areas, to fans and reporters, and some were grinning and just plain enthused to be driving a ROAD course , and with a whole different style of car , track, race, using a different method of planning -skill.
Go to the Autoweek article following the race weekend and see what the reporter had to say about the Nascar drivers level of enthusiasm for driving another car.

Sure was fun to see them there ....for sure.
PinetreePorsche
My 15 yr old happened to tape the end of the race--good re-runs. And we had picked up Talladega Nights at Blockbuster for him to watch on the President's day school's off today. Sure does look like the car sliding upside-down across the finish line was an outtake from the movie! Good TV, if edited down to highlights, and this one maybe the best ever.
Allan
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 18 2007, 04:32 PM) *

and a Kali boy takes the checkered flag smilie_pokal.gif

Bakersfield ROCKS!!!! yellowsleep[1].gif
Bartlett 914
Normally I'm not a NASCAR fan but I watched the race. Glad I did. I thought the end drama was pretty cool. I'm glad they didn't finish the race with the yellow flag. It was cool to let them race it out to the end.
byndbad914
I used to go to a lot of races in Saugus, Bakersfield and El Cajon back thru the 90s as I had a buddy that was really into it and it was a great way to spend a day haning out.

Watching it on TV loses it for me a bit. Personally I luv the pits so I would volunteer pit crew for a lot of races for guys just to 1. get a paid pass in biggrin.gif and 2. I love the sound and the vibration of the cars. There is nothing, and IMHO absolutely NOTHING like the sound of a serious small block idling at 1350-1500rpm. I could listen to that all day - in fact I sat in my garage letting my car run yesterday for about 20 minutes to just warm up and cycle it, but that sound...

I was busy prepping the car for a hopeful track day next Saturday (if the weather holds here in CO) so I missed the race. Saw highlights on Speed (which is essentially NASCAR channel happy11.gif ) and the end was pretty amazing. My mom flew out to watch it with friends, so she had an exciting race for sure.

The whole yellow flag thing will probably be an issue for a few days, and that is a hard call and I echo what another member said - it isn't the front guys, but the 7th place racers that had to fight through that and risk their car and maybe even lost it because there was no flag to stop the racing back in the pack. I would have hated it to end giving away first place as he openly admitted that he couldn't have won without the aero help of the guy behind him (at least right at the end on Speed he was talking and watching the monitor and stated "I lost my pusher... yeah, I see it now... there he goes... I couldn't have done it alone, I needed my pusher" or words to that extent. One thing, he is more than gracious and a good person IMO to be able to admit that without whining and bitching like a lot of the new pretty boy racers would and crying about the flag and wanting to win on a "gimme".
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Feb 19 2007, 04:37 PM) *

I used to go to a lot of races in Saugus, Bakersfield and El Cajon back thru the 90s as I had a buddy that was really into it and it was a great way to spend a day haning out.

Watching it on TV loses it for me a bit. Personally I luv the pits so I would volunteer pit crew for a lot of races for guys just to 1. get a paid pass in biggrin.gif and 2. I love the sound and the vibration of the cars. There is nothing, and IMHO absolutely NOTHING like the sound of a serious small block idling at 1350-1500rpm. I could listen to that all day - in fact I sat in my garage letting my car run yesterday for about 20 minutes to just warm up and cycle it, but that sound...

I was busy prepping the car for a hopeful track day next Saturday (if the weather holds here in CO) so I missed the race. Saw highlights on Speed (which is essentially NASCAR channel happy11.gif ) and the end was pretty amazing. My mom flew out to watch it with friends, so she had an exciting race for sure.

The whole yellow flag thing will probably be an issue for a few days, and that is a hard call and I echo what another member said - it isn't the front guys, but the 7th place racers that had to fight through that and risk their car and maybe even lost it because there was no flag to stop the racing back in the pack. I would have hated it to end giving away first place as he openly admitted that he couldn't have won without the aero help of the guy behind him (at least right at the end on Speed he was talking and watching the monitor and stated "I lost my pusher... yeah, I see it now... there he goes... I couldn't have done it alone, I needed my pusher" or words to that extent. One thing, he is more than gracious and a good person IMO to be able to admit that without whining and bitching like a lot of the new pretty boy racers would and crying about the flag and wanting to win on a "gimme".

I truly believe in both Martin and Harvick, we see some of the most sportsman/like conduct, Nascar has to offer, in way of style, and personality. Couldn't have gone to two better drivers....the One-two finish the way it did. I think if Martin had won by the same distance, Harvick would have been just as gracious in his support of him.
cool race at the end flag.gif
mrgreenjeans
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Feb 19 2007, 12:37 PM) *

The whole yellow flag thing will probably be an issue for a few days, and that is a hard call and I echo what another member said - it isn't the front guys, but the 7th place racers that had to fight through that and risk their car and maybe even lost it because there was no flag to stop the racing back in the pack.

Where the last crash started I doubt very much, at 180+ mph that a yellow

would have changed much except maybe the winner. Those guys were charging

for the finish line like a bunch of potheads with the munchies after the last

piece of pizza.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.