Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Track Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
orcadigital
I have been running Victoracers the last several seasons with good success. I recently changed pressures drastically (running 48 to 50 hot) with good success as well, and have now found out that Kumho has discontinued the 205/50-15 size.

So now i am stuck going to a new tire, and not sure where to go. I am on a budget, and Hoosiers are not in the realm of possibility. I have been told the wear on the Ecsta's are closer to Hoosier levels, and i really need something that will last.

The 2 options i have been pointed to are the Toyo Proxes, and the Avons. The Toyos i am told are about .5 a second slower then the victos, but longer life. I can live with that, as there is a lot more then half a second to be found in my driving skill. The Avons i have heard mixed info on, everything from the best thing since sliced bread, to not worth it at all.

With my current wheels (Julian Racing 15x6) i cant run a 225 without flares (not an option for my class), so i am stuck with a 205 size. Car weighs in at 2356, stock 2L, nothing too fancy. It is a dedicated track car. I do 3 to 4 autocrosses a year, 4 to 6 DE's (if we'd stop losing our tracks, would be more), and plan to do 3 club races this year. Hot temp performance and longevity are my major concerns, as well as something that can run well with the limited camber adjustment on a stock 914.

Any thoughts?
914forme
I am looking at Hanook F200s slicks right now, will last for the 25-30 auto-xes I do, and a couple of auto-x schools. I am looking at the c70 compound. they have a c-30 that will not burn out as fast due to heat.

I have a buddy with a heavy E36 M3 that will be running a set of Nitto NT-01s They are supposed to be close to the Victoracers. He is running them because that is what his sponser wants him to run. But free tires are good tires. I will report back with his runs, and see how he does. He is in the same Auto-x class as I am this year. So it could be interesting, thou I think slicks and suspension and lightness will beat HP and moderate tires any-day.

From what I can tell driving them the little I have, is they stick, and when you get to the end the limit, the go above with out a dramatic snap. Just kinda slide off, will have to see how they do at an auto-x or DE.
DanT
tire rack still shows victors in 205 available and they still show them on the Kumho USA website....
I am going to try Nitto NT01s this year after a year on Victors...I have heard the Nittos stick as good or better than the victors. A little more tire noise but very good wear..
the nittos appear to be a pretty good value now.

$133 from Discount tire direct...and free shipping.
brant
grant,

which 3 Club races?

I'm guessing: miller, heartland, pueblo?
or is vegas in your plans?

also 1 other tire option that I think comes in a 205
(double check me on this...)

greg johnson is running the hoosier spec tire they make for spec miata's
its cheaper and a harder compound than the R6 style hoosiers.
lasts as long as the avons.
he also runs avons too, so give him and call for the side by side comparison.

plus pay alot more attention to peoples opinions that use tires on similar cars and similar weight of cars.

I built that 89 944 turboS car and played with tires on it.
It sucked on kumhos, but was great on the old yokohamas
I ran the exact same yoko's and kumhos on my black 914 and had the Opposite results.

so cars that weigh significantly more (like a 944 or a bmw) mean nothing when compaired to how a 914 will do with a particular tire.

see if you can pick up some kumho's since you can rotate them into your stock. I'll still sell you those 2 used ones I have for 20 bucks total if you want them as practice tires.

brant
orcadigital
Brant,

The 2 races that are more certain are Pueblo (of course) and actually planning on Road America. I have some family out there, and Dan Mayer might run out there with his 944, so we might provide a support system for us slow cars. smile.gif For the third, its kind of in the air, but Vegas, Kansas, or Texas. Depends on the state of the car, finances, and time off of work. I'd like to hit Miller, but i am vaguely thinking about alternating Road America and Miller each year, just because those 2, as well as Pueblo are all in a row, and would be a huge stretch to hit all 3. Road America is where my dad used to race, so it would be a lot of fun to go there.

For tires, Eurosport is where i got the recommendation for the Avon's, and their wear experience has been incredible (as in good). Graeme was the one who originally got me into the Victos, and he was the recommendation on the Toyo's.

I have talked to Tire Rack, and at last check, they only had like 11 205's left in stock (was maybe a month back), and had no plans on getting more in, per Kumho.

Are the Hanook's and Nitto's DOT tires? I cant run a true slick for well anything i run in, which is why iask the question.

I have i think 6 Victo's right now, but as it is really a dead end option, i want to move into something else. I will use up what i have, but i dont want to spend another 2 years working out tire setups either.

Anyone know the camber requirements for the various tires? Victos called for a degree and a half, which was basically impossible to dial in to a stock 914 without offset balljoints (dont ask my current camber, simply put, its not the 1.5 degree, and its not correct either). It is info i have to get from Kumho directly, and not sure what others have found out.

Brant, Ron Maxwell is running some Yokohamas, and i am meeting Hugh tomarrow and will see what hes running. I have some time to decide still, but this is all new. Any idea on the Hoosier cost for those spec tires?
brant
Grant,

road america would be awesome.
you should do it.

(I've never been) but how many chances in your life time will you get to try something like that... and your dad will no doubt get to relive some amazing memories as well. Seems like a win-win

regarding tires.
even if they phase out the 205 victoracers.
If it were me, I'd probably stick with what you know as long as you can

just because you switch brands, doesn't mean they won't phase those out also next year. You could put a lot of learning and time into the change and then have it yanked out from under you

heck, back when we used to run bfg's and 008r's they would change the compound every year anyways. you have to adjust annually. No way to guarantee they won't change the compound on the avons next year. If it were me, I'd buy up some of those victoracers while they are still available and then you have one less thing to worry about for this season anyways. if your going to learn a new tire, you just as well learn it next year. None of the tires your considereing are going to really be faster anyways.

how much does graeme's car weigh
I honestly can't remember, isn't he driving the boxter?
non teeners (with vastly different weights) don't mean as much
so the experience of ron is probably a lot more transferrable than the experience of graeme. I will tell you that the A032r hard compound is slower than the victoracer on a teener (but faster on a 944Turbo). at least a second slower!

sorry I don't remember what greg johnson told me the price was on the spec hoosier. I think real compairable, but don't remember exactly.

I think regarding alignment you'll have to talk to the reps for each brand.
and then fine tune with seat of the pants or a pyrometer.

brant

914forme
The Hanooks come in a DOT approved version also in a 205/50-15 with a C30 or a C50 compound. Hanook Z211s or the Z214s that come in a c70, c50, and c30. The c ratings are the oposite of the standard UTOGs used, so a C70 has the lowest temp range, 50 is a step up, and c30 is the highest.

The F2000 is a pure race slick
yarin
I found a great deal on the Hankook Z-211 Tires, they are on clearance for $95 each all over the net.

My only concern is the compound. The C30 and C50 are available, tire in general has been discontinued.

C30 (hard track compound)
C50 (medium track compound)
C70 (soft autox compound)

Can I expect any grip out of the C50 on autoX? There is a local tireshop that distributes Kumho and Hankook, i'll see what R compounds they can get me.

Thanks!

yarin
I WON I WON I WON!!

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

(4) Used for one weekend.. Hoosier 205/50/15 A6 tires.. $272 shipped!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=290084407640

If you look at this guy's history he must do some serious track/autox events. All the tires he sells have either 4 or 8 heat cycles on them.

BTW - what do most people define as a heat cycle? A day of racing? A track session?

Coming from 6 year old BFG R1s these are certainly going to be a treat! beerchug.gif

jhadler
I'm a little confused by that ebay ad. They claim they're "A6" Hoosiers, not "R6". Given that they mention use at Runoffs, I'd guess they were used for qualifying??? A6 is the autox compound tire, R6 is the road race compound.

They look like they saw track time.

As for "heat cycle". It means just that. A run up to temperature, and back down. The more times the tire is heated up and cooled down, the harder the rubber compound will become.

4 heat cycles is still good for a Hoosier. Those tires will stay sticky for you for a good many more cycles. The tires look to be in very good shape too. Lots of tread, and not too much OPR (other people's rubber) buildup (a good indicator of track use or use at the Solo2 Nationals).

Nice find!!

-Josh2
yarin
They were run on a 2006 Miata SSB. So maybe run offs weren't autocross. Who knows. They do look good, i'll find out when I get them.

Can't wait to test them out... after connecting my driveshafts of course smile.gif
grantsfo
Yes the Nitto and Hankooks are DOT approved tires
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.