Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you have a EGT gauge?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I would like to install an EGT gauge on my 2.0. From what I've read, it seems most probes go within 6 inches of the exhaust valves on the header. I don't want to tap a hole in my stainless heat exchagers. My thoughts were to put the probe on the exhaust tubing that connects to the heat exchangers. I realize the exhaust is most likely cooler at that point, but should work OK??

Do they make an EGT probe that is a clamp on type so I could connect it closer to the heads?

Aaron Cox
anywhere but where they tell you to install it is inaccurate smile.gif

its just a hole and a tap. worst case you have it welded up if you dont like it.
craig downs
To get an accurate reading you need to be within the 6" range from the valve.
If you put it further down the exhaust will be cooler than up near the exhaust port.
computers4kids
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Feb 18 2007, 12:06 PM) *

anywhere but where they tell you to install it is inaccurate smile.gif

its just a hole and a tap. worst case you have it welded up if you dont like it.

I know...it's just the thought of drilling a hole in a perfect set of stainless exchangers is killing me.

QUOTE(craig downs @ Feb 18 2007, 02:04 PM) *

To get an accurate reading you need to be within the 6" range from the valve.
If you put it further down the exhaust will be cooler than up near the exhaust port.

That's what the gauge advertisements seem to be pointing towards.

I guess that means there is no EGT probe/sensor that just clamps on to an exhaust tube?
McMark
Drill the hole. wink.gif It's really not that big of a deal for a competent shop to repair/weld. Don't worry about it.
Jake Raby
I put mine a max of 3" from the valve...

every inch makes a difference!
Joseph Mills
Six inches from head is what I recall.

Just drill the tiny hole and be done with it! smile.gif

The info those gages provide is priceless.
computers4kids
Thanks for all the advice...I'm getting my sawzall-smiley.gif out, no I mean my ar15.gif drill!
Thanks again
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.