Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear muffler shield- is it needed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
As my rear trunk rust repair is almost done I have a question regarding the muffler heat shield under the trunk floor. I ended up cutting mine off to provide better access to the floor to weld in new metal. I tried to leave most of the factory "standoffs" in place as I thought I was going to make a new heatshield and install. But now that I think about it I'm thinking it's really not needed. What do you guys think? In my mind it's more weight and another item that can rust. Or are there alternatives?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Feb 18 2007, 03:05 PM) *

As my rear trunk rust repair is almost done I have a question regarding the muffler heat shield under the trunk floor. I ended up cutting mine off to provide better access to the floor to weld in new metal. I tried to leave most of the factory "standoffs" in place as I thought I was going to make a new heatshield and install. But now that I think about it I'm thinking it's really not needed. What do you guys think? In my mind it's more weight and another item that can rust. Or are there alternatives?

I think the engineers put it there to protect whatever is in the trunk from heat... ie. groceries, the fiberglass top, flowers, etc... If you keep this in mind & plan on using the car for everyday stuff you might want to keep it. Otherwise it is excess weight. cool_shades.gif
xitspd
What's a muffler shield? biggrin.gif Ha Ha!

Dan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.