Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine dying when excellerating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
When I excellerate for example from 2nd to third the engine seems to cut out and then dies. I thought it was an electrical problem or the FP relay; I cleaned the relay board throughly as suggested by the fourm and also installed new relays. Today I drove the car down the street and it died again and the same thing happened. When the car came to rest I turned the key, the FP ran and the car start and I drove it home in a slow 2nd gear. Any one have a glue? maybe some valve or elect. sending unit of some kind. Any suggestion would help. Mike
So.Cal.914
Hows your fuel filter?
Air_Cooled_Nut
Start the car and let idle. Gently press on the gas pedal until the engine is nearing red-line. If you can't get the gas pedal to the 1/2 way point without the engine dieing/dropping rpm then the advance mechanisim is failing or your FI trigger points are bad.

The only reason I know this is that it happened to a curstomer's car recently. I swapped out the dizzy and the engine was fine after that smile.gif

Naturally, it is assumed the valves are adjusted, the dizzy points are properly set and working, and the spark plugs are gapped and have good wires biggrin.gif
Brando
What year and injection system?

Check for vacuum leaks?
xperu
QUOTE(Brando @ Feb 19 2007, 12:42 PM) *

What year and injection system?

Check for vacuum leaks?e

I will try all of your suggestions, The injection I beleive it's the original and the fuel filter is about six months old with only about 1000 mi, but the gas could be dirty.
I did have an electronic ignition installed about 2 month ago???

Thanks everyone, this is a great site Mike
Brando
Okay, what year is your car and what displacement is it?

If you say 'stock injection system' it could be two different kinds. You gotta be specific as they measure air and meter fuel differently.
xperu
QUOTE(Brando @ Feb 19 2007, 08:07 PM) *

Okay, what year is your car and what displacement is it?

If you say 'stock injection system' it could be two different kinds. You gotta be specific as they measure air and meter fuel differently.

Yes, sorry I should have been more spacific. The car is a 1973 1.7 Fuel Injected all original except the electronic ignition. Thanks for your help I am completely frustrated by it. This time of the year in the Houston area is the best time to have this car on the road. Mike
Brando
Here are a few possibilities:

Vacuum leaks (check all of your rubber lines).

Manifold Pressure Sensor failing.

Distributor components might be failing (Points, condensor, trigger points, vacuum advance pot).
PinetreePorsche
How can I get my car to excellerate?--It's real good (the 914s all were good--its the mid-engine design), but it doesn't excel--has a few rust spots, and runs rough when cold. Maybe to excellerate, I need to put a 6 in--even conversions are pricey--must be excel-lent.
Air_Cooled_Nut
accelerate = to move or go faster; increase in speed.
Also accel. (abbreviation); acceleration
excellerate = not a real word.

www.dictionary.com (a good site) has a neat plug-in at http://www.cleverkeys.com/ck.html?p=features&os=windows for checking spelling, definitions and thesaurus wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.