Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bus racer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
Check out the video: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/57f304e...8810103e543.htm

Powered by a 993 twin turbo motor, and obviously he knows how to drive.

Here's their web page: www.race-taxi.ch

Roughly translated version
PinetreePorsche
WOW! Esp. with those tires, how's he do that? and without tipping over on the corners. Couldn't work out the German on the site, but it's a 993 twin-turbo 3.6 l making it go. Wonder about the brakes, too--says the weight is 1600 kg--thats near 3400 pounds--about the weight of the 993! Big bucks and mucho time... and mucho fun. Wish it could come to a track near me. I
had several Splitties, but 40 to 53 horse. Drove a 40-horse from Boston to Guatemala and back---well, most of the way back--threw a rod in PA, had to have a friend (a real friend!) bring a motor down for a swap to get home to bean-town. Boy was it sloooooow on the road. But it had a great bed in the back, and I got lucky and found a lady at a New Mixico campsite wanting to go to Guatemala (I had thought I was just going to Mexico city!), so we went all the way together. Good luck, good times. Lousy car.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 18 2007, 09:44 PM) *

Check out the video: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/57f304e...8810103e543.htm

Powered by a 993 twin turbo motor, and obviously he knows how to drive.

Here's their web page: www.race-taxi.ch

Roughly translated version

Toooooo fun. How'd you like seeing this guy come up your tail at DE with a whole boot load of brakes coming on at the last marker ?

Love the sound of the tires under load...both while braking and drifting.

Gotta be a whole twin turbo from like the floor pans up, welded to the bottom of that Splitter. Its got the scoots for sure..............

thumb3d.gif
The thing ROCKS
Rand
Roughly translated...

Technical data:

* Type: VOLKSWAGEN T1 (Split Window) 1962
* Engine: air-cooled light alloy six cylinder of Porsche (993 Bi - turbo)
* Capacity: 3.600 ccm
* Achievement: Original 408 HP of later approx. 500 HP
* Transmission: Mechanical six-gearbox type 996 GT3 with cable assembly.
* Brake assembly: ventilated and punched disks, original Porsche 993 Bi - turbo with EXP.
* Chassis: in front and in the back independent suspension with elevator adjustable shock struts. Adjustable stabilizers.
* Steering element: Power steering by Porsche (993 Bi - turbo).
* Wheels: Three-part BBS racing rims (8.5J x 18 in front and 10J x 18 in the back)
* Weight: Approx. 1600 kg.

Definitely some good suspension work to keep the body roll down on that thing!

If you just want to go in a straight line, this one's your ticket. Here are a couple pics from the archives for old time's sake...
BenT
Maybe I can clarify that translation a bit. I don't read or speak German but I know a little bit about VW vans.

This Swiss fellow essentially took a T1 bus and married the body to a stripped down T3 chassis. Then he put all the Porsche goodies on that. The Sinclecab (same platform as a Vanagon) had it's body removed leaving only the pan and suspension pieces. AS you can see in his webpage, he then split (no pun intended) the early bus and use only the sheetmetal to cover the chassis. Porsche powered Vanagons are fairly common in the racing circuits in Gemany. Here's a rundown on VW bus types.

54-67 T1 Type II (split window referring to windshield unlike rear window on bugs)
68-79 T2 Type II (cmmonly called bay window or bread loaf vans)
80-92 T3 Type II (we call these Vanagons in the US. made until 2002 in RSA)
93-03 T4 Type II (we cal them Eurovans in the US)
03-05 T5 Type II (VW did not send this model to the US)

BenT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.