Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 31 year-old tire and wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Porsche Rescue
My 80K mile '76 came to me with aftermarket alloys which were installed as a $250 dealer option when the car was new. They are pretty ugly now and I am switching to stock steel "sport" wheels. The dealer at least did it right and provided an alloy spare. It is 31 years new. If the 4 on the ground looked as good I would leave them on. The tire is a Continental 165 HR 15 which has clearly never been used. It still has the little mold "nubs" and a yellow stripe around the circumference of the tread. I would say it has never been on the ground except I installed it today to hold the car up while I do the wheel/tire swap.
The car also came with a dealer option of a "deluxe shift knob" at $6.95. It is the common black leather one with the Porsche crest. Couldn't buy a nice original 5-speed knob for 10 times that today!
Porsche Rescue
Here's the car with the wheels I am removing. Any doubt why?

edit: well they don't look too bad in the pic. Guess corrosion doesn't show in a digital pic! Center caps say Shelby.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Feb 18 2007, 11:50 PM) *

Here's the car with the wheels I am removing. Any doubt why?

edit: well they don't look too bad in the pic. Guess corrosion doesn't show in a digital pic! Center caps say Shelby.

Pretty cool...what do you plan to do with the retired units ?

And what are you going with on the refit ?

Not a bad looking car...what year ? And hows it equipped?
type4org
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 19 2007, 01:05 AM) *

There is no lack of takers for ugly wheels on 914s, I would not be worried poke.gif

jd74914
QUOTE(type4org @ Feb 19 2007, 03:30 AM) *

QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 19 2007, 01:05 AM) *

There is no lack of takers for ugly wheels on 914s, I would not be worried poke.gif

So, how much for those wheels laugh.gif
Porsche Rescue
Car was one family owned until I got it last fall. Sold new in San Antonio (no catalyst).
Has console, no sway bars, standard 2.0.
I think I will hold on to the wheels since they came new with the car. As I said, 4 of them are very worn/corroded.
When I get the wheels changed and do a bit more detailing I will post some pics. Interior is near perfect, black and gray plaid seat inserts. Radio delete which is rare. Surprised the dealer got the buyer for wheels and a shift knob but no radio. Only factory options listed on the sticker are intermittant wipers and tinted glass.
Porsche Rescue
Got her done. Back to stock. I feel better now.

edit: except for the trim rings (when I was a teenager we called them "beauty rings").
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Feb 19 2007, 08:13 PM) *

Lookin' good & the right color.

What about the trim rings on the wheels - were those a dealer option of the period?

Car looks soooo much better.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Feb 19 2007, 09:13 PM) *

edit: except for the trim rings (when I was a teenager we called them "beauty rings").

Primo !!!

mine did not have the chrome rings, and altho, I have seen them about, not so sold on the look or the originality. One loses too much of the wide flange showing to the world and makes the already skinny wheel and tire look narrower.....imho

Nice ride. in Fact beautiful !!! clap56.gif

Use the old wheels about the house, like winding up the garden hose, or mounting them on posts, to use as shop stools. Or, melt them in a fire and use the al. ashes to sprinkle on the lawn....I dunno if it would be good for anything, but you'd be rid of the ugly buggers............imho

mrgreenjeans
Porsche Rescue
"mine did not have the chrome rings, and altho, I have seen them about, not so sold on the look or the originality. One loses too much of the wide flange showing to the world and makes the already skinny wheel and tire look narrower.....imho"

I hear you. I kinda like a little shiny "bling", but they would look good without the rings too. They aren't the rings I wanted. Got them online. Thought I was getting the deeper looking "squared off" ones like on a Camaro Rallye wheel from the 70's.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Feb 20 2007, 12:40 AM) *

"mine did not have the chrome rings, and altho, I have seen them about, not so sold on the look or the originality. One loses too much of the wide flange showing to the world and makes the already skinny wheel and tire look narrower.....imho"

I hear you. I kinda like a little shiny "bling", but they would look good without the rings too. They aren't the rings I wanted. Got them online. Thought I was getting the deeper looking "squared off" ones like on a Camaro Rallye wheel from the 70's.

I am really shocked, that as many of our car came with these steelie cross style mag, that they are seen so very little. Most people have opted for another look. I cannot say the steel wheels weather the best, as the silver paint seems a little vulnerable to the elements, but after the rims are cleaned up or painted, they look pretty trick. I love the comparo of seeing them by a car with Mahles, or Pedrinis, or my personal favorite, : the Fuchs. Gives a real live lookie see at what one could have back in the mid seventies. And variety is always a good thing.......

mrgreenjeans
914werke
Jim those are hideous! icon8.gif
Porsche Rescue
Whadaya mean! They are OE and you're a CW!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.