Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vac advance dizzy help - carb compatability
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fall-apart-dave
Can anyone help me out here... Having trouble finding a good dizzy for my 914 / T4 motor. Have a vac advance, but have ditched the old carbs.

Can a vac advance be made to work with IDF / DRLA / HPMX carbs? They don't (or don't seem to) have provision for a vac advance. Porting the manifolds aint any good I'm told, it'll suck too hard... Has anyone ever managed to get it working? Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks

Dave
So.Cal.914
Hi Dave , I've used vac off the base of the carb/manifold on many cars for years

on different projects but I still think with the engine you are talking about building

you should consider a centrifugal advance dizzy. The Mallory unilite is, I heard

a very good unit. The Bosch dizzy for a vw or the early porsche will also work.
Bleyseng
The stock 914 dizzy with the trigger points will work fine if you have that. Its vac and centrifical adv.
jr91472
Because I didn't want to spend the $ on the Mallory, I follow the advice of a long time Porsche and 914 mechanic here in Dallas.

He said that the stock dizzy that came with the 1.8L L-jet had an advance curve "best suited" (not perfect) for a car with carbs. P/N 022-905-205 AA (or AB). It took some time but I eventually found one. Works great, no noticable lag off idle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.