Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: new 40" Samsung LCD TV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
This is a brand new set that I got on 01/12/07

When it works right I love it with about the only thing wrong is the cheap stock speakers. This is not an issue because I use my stereo for sound anyways.

BUT I'm getting pixels stuck open already and since my internet research tells me this is a precursor of dead pixels and the panel is not repareable I'm quite concerned. We're talking thousands of pixils
I've had this TV less than 5 weeks and already almost 2 weeks have been in the shop.

This is my claim on the Samsung site so far...I'm making a paper trail...

*02/18/2007 //11:14:53 //
The complaint about this new TV was that horizontal lines of pixel’s were getting “stuck open  on different areas of the screen, ranging from approximately 1.5 inches to 9 inches in length. Thi
s has happened several times on different areas of the screen. Source (BEV, or DVD) didn’t matter
and to only way to get rid of line (once stuck open) was to turn TV off/on.

I talked to Ashley
at Samsung on 01/29/07 and opened this file but elected to contact Kawartha TV for service. They tol
d me that their service man, Andy, was on holidays and they didn’t pick up TV until 02/10/07.
On
02/14/07 Andy told me that he could not get the TV to do the issue and I informed him that I had ta
ken photos (digital camera) of the last event. He asked me to email the photos to him, which I did.
I still have photos if needed.

On 02/17/07 I again phoned him, he said he got the photos and he s
aid that he didn’t know what was causing this issue. He advised me that he had sent the photo’s
to Samsung and was waiting for a reply.

I want either a repair (in writing), replacement or refund. Do you think this is out of line?
Has any other LED TV owners had the same issues?
Mark Henry
Unfortunetly I only thought of taking pic's during the the last event...but at least I have these pic's to back me up.
Brando
Refund!

I thought Samsun had a 0-dead-pixel policy for LCD display devices... Or was that Phillips?
stepuptotheMike
Not out of line at all. Get a new unit or get the money back.

-Mike
Mark Henry
Squeaky wheel gets oiled.

Phoned the dealer who said Samsung had yet to get back to him and suggested that I phone them direct, which I did. After getting transferred a few times I got the tech rep that took my info (I already had a file open) then said that he would phone the dealer and get back to me. In about 10min he called back and said he was recommending panel or TV replacement. He also said panels were on backorder and expensive to replace, so I will most likely get a new set. This still has to go through the management paperwork, but said he will rush it and I should have an answer in 2-3 days.

In this case a paper trail and especially the photos did the trick, as this is an intermittent problem.

As long as I have no issues with the replacement set I’ll be happy with Samsung.

I’ll update this once I have my TV back, hopefully before the weekend.
seanery
Mark, Samsung is one of the largest panel manufacturers. I suspect you'll have better luck with the new one.
914rrr
Get your money back, and buy the flat screen we just purchased during Christmas. It is at Sam's Club. Phillips 42" LCD. It is even cheaper now for $1249. We love it! No problems, great picture!
cooltimes
I am curious.
Where did you buy the TV?
You have only owned it just over 30 days and you can't return it?
If so, warn us as to where, so we don't buy ANYTHING there.

Mike

Mark Henry
No I'm happy with the TV and the dealer. Free P/U and return on the TV and I'm way out in the country. The dealer is not a big box outfit and gave me a way better deal than Future Shop or Best Buy. Both of them have real piss poor reps on service around here.

I think things would have got done, just I wanted my set back ASAP and needed to give the dealer and Samsung a little prod to get things rolling faster. The dealer was waiting on Samsung and could only go through their dealer network for approval. It was the dealer's recommendation to phone Samsung to give them the personal prodding.

As long as the issue is fixed it is an awesome HDTV. My mom is in the market so if it is new in the box I may upgrade to a 1080p set and she will take this one. We'll have to see if a deal can be worked out.

We don't have Sam's club and Canadian Costco's selection sucked big time and was if anything more money.

I did a crap load of research and tire kicking...didn't really want the money back and start over. If I do upgrade to 1080p I already have a set and price in mind.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.