Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slots in Windshield Frame
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tyler
It's a little late to ask now and maybe I don't want to know since I just put the seal on, but anyway.
Looking at the top, backside of the windshield frame there a about a 3" slot on each side about 8" in from the end. I tried to get them in a picture.
Anyone know what they're for?

John
I'm not sure what they are there for, but there are black rectangular plugs that insert into those holes prior to the windshield seal installation.

I could take a pic tonight.
majkos
LOL biggrin.gif
You guys are silly!

They're for ski racks!

Slide front bar into thoses slots and the back bar bolts to underneath the Targa bar

I've bought my first 914 for sole purpose to get to the ski area faster(and DID!)
Great car in the snow!
SirAndy
QUOTE(majkos @ Feb 19 2007, 09:43 AM) *

LOL biggrin.gif
You guys are silly!

They're for ski racks!

Slide front bar into thoses slots and the back bar bolts to underneath the Targa bar

I've bought my first 914 for sole purpose to get to the ski area faster(and DID!)
Great car in the snow!

agree.gif
Aaron Cox
hmmm.....

eric has the ski rack i gave him, but that picked up the bumper and the targa....

not the front.

must be two kinds?
Rand
QUOTE(majkos @ Feb 19 2007, 09:43 AM) *

Great car in the snow!

Anyone have pics of this config? Is the top still removable with that setup? What does it look like at the back of the top/targa/hoop.... ?

This winter I found out my 914 was more squirrelly on the snow/ice than all my other cars. I guess it's the way my suspension geometry is set up.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 24 2007, 07:44 PM) *

Anyone have pics of this config?

Click to view attachment
johnlush
I have the rack but no pictures. After the tab goes in the slot there's a rubber tipped set screw that keeps it in place. The rear is a hoop that attaches to the mounting points under the targa bar. The top can be removed with them in place. Skis are kept in place with red leather straps - very stylish! Yes, two different styles - this one the skis mount in a horizontal position, the other version is the "rocket launcher" type where the rear mount attaches to the tow hook in the rear bumper.
Rand
Hi Andy. Thanks for the pic. smile.gif

So the bar at the top of the photo is the rear part (I assume)... Looks like it does leave room for the roof to come back/off.... (Yeah, yeah, I know, who takes the top off in the winter..... Besides me? haha)
Rand
QUOTE(johnlush @ Feb 24 2007, 08:01 PM) *

I have the rack but no pictures. After the tab goes in the slot there's a rubber tipped set screw that keeps it in place. The rear is a hoop that attaches to the mounting points under the targa bar. The top can be removed with them in place. Skis are kept in place with red leather straps - very stylish! Yes, two different styles - this one the skis mount in a horizontal position, the other version is the "rocket launcher" type where the rear mount attaches to the tow hook in the rear bumper.

Thanks John... I missed your post before my last reply. Pretty slick setup.
davep
Here is one rack in stainless steel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
degreeoff
thats amazing....I would have NEVER guessed....
Hammy
Are you guys all joking? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Hammy @ Feb 24 2007, 10:36 PM) *

Are you guys all joking? confused24.gif

nope ...

tyler
I thought you were all joking. These days I don't think anyone would pull the $1,200 windshield seal back to make the attachment. What do you suppose keeps the water out of the windshield frame? Seems like there should have been rubber plugs in there.
Hammy
Are Germans really into skiing or something? biggrin.gif Out of all the things on this car, why would they take the time to design a ski rack attachment into it? Innaresting.
scotty b
So in order to get to the slopes with your skis in the dead of winter with a -10 deg windchill you have to go topless?? WTF.gif No thanks I'll take the Suburban laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
I have one of each ski rack now. wink.gif
davep
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 25 2007, 12:25 PM) *

So in order to get to the slopes with your skis in the dead of winter with a -10 deg windchill you have to go topless?

No need, the roof will still fit. It is very tight though, so the rubber had better be in good shape. Besides, are you a wuss? biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 25 2007, 12:25 PM) *

So in order to get to the slopes with your skis in the dead of winter with a -10 deg windchill you have to go topless?? WTF.gif No thanks I'll take the Suburban laugh.gif

naaa, fit's with the top on ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
Hammy

naaa, fit's with the top on ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

That is so cool.....
Did they come with the car? Or available from the factory? Dealer? Aftermarket?
Eric_Shea
Besides, are you a wuss? biggrin.gif

Canuck's... lol3.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 25 2007, 04:12 PM) *

Besides, are you a wuss? biggrin.gif

Canuck's... lol3.gif

What the left coast gang really needs instead are surfboard racks- I used to have one for my Bugeye from KY!!!! biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
Nice rack !!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.