Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mazda RX 7 Oil Cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLITS
I have been told by a budding engineer type that using the Mazda RX7 Oil Cooler with internal thermostat will require removal of the thermostat.

My question is WHY?

The thermostat bypasses the cooler until operating temp is reached, so what is the difference between the internal one and an external one?

Oh, cooler will be installed on the scavenge line of a /6 as if it makes any difference.

RON S.
Slits,

I am no expert on heat transfer,but I did acquire several xr7 coolers.

I cut one of them open for the same reason,and I found that the thermostat is a pretty big restriction if you cut it apart and look at it up close.

All the oil that passes thru it goes thru a hole less than 1/2" diameter.Also,every other tube has a aluminum strip thru it to slow oil flow even further.

I gutted mine and made removable end caps but I left the restriction strips still in the tubes.

If mine ever starts to run to hot,I will remove a few of the strips allowing more flow thru the cooler to help things out.

Also,if the oil is allowed to heat up to 180deg. up front at the cooler,how hot will it be up to back at the engine. idea.gif

here's some pics of my setup.

Ron
PRS914-6
I'm with Ron. This topic has been brought up before, that is where to mount the components of an oil system. I'm no expert but I like the thermostat mounted as close to the engine oil outlet as possible. That way you get the fastest response time after a hard run. Maybe I'm anal....

Click to view attachment
SLITS
Thanks Ron ..... your cutaway shows what I wanted to know.

Most of the thermostats on the market I see are 1/2" and as such would present a restriction anyway.

When I was looking for this cooler, I was actually wanting an early RX 4 / 7 without the thermostat, but for $26 I couldn't pass it up.

I see that you must have been talking to Trekkor and visiting Home Depot (reference is the 1/2" pipe elbows). biggrin.gif

The "strips" you mention are just for the purpose you described ..... to slow the fluid down allowing a longer contact time with the tube wall and in theory to enhance heat transfer. Same technology is used in many heat transfer devices.

It can also cause a breakup of laminar flow characteristics where the fluid molecules are attracted to the metal and form a barrier that doesn't move decreasing heat transfer of the flowing fluid ..... but that is just an interpolation on my part.
Aaron Cox
yup... what they/you said.

my thermo stat is basically at the engine...
circulate less cold oil all the way to the front on startup, and i believe that makes it warm up faster.....

how you is ronster?
burton73
This is today from the hole. The thermo says Trottman on top. I think it is a thermostat or just a nice connecter box. What you see the 3 blue AN’s going into. All there is, is braded stainless up to the factory GT cooler. The cooler has male fittings for the AN’s

Bob
SLITS
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Feb 19 2007, 02:18 PM) *

how you is ronster?

I be well ..... tanks .....

Crazyhippy
If you're gonna put a radiator up front, why not put some HP in the back??

Muahahahahaha.....
plymouth37
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Feb 19 2007, 06:36 PM) *

If you're gonna put a radiator up front, why not put some HP in the back??

Muahahahahaha.....

stirthepot.gif av-943.gif
kconway
Ron,
You blog says your done, your unloading that engine. Change of heart I hope.
Twystd1
Ronster...

I will reiterate what I said at Sharps... Toss the the little Mazda Bastid.
(Sell it to Howard. If it's really shiny.. he will buy it)

You can find a REAL cooler with the appropriate sized ends on it without the inherent restrictions of the RX-7 cooler easily.

Used is good.....

And you will still have to get it professionally ultra sonicly cleaned if it's used. Just like the Mazda cooler needs to be.

AND...... If'n ya run the cooler up front. I B thinking your oil temp problems will disappear.

I know you don't want to spend the bucks... or the time to do this.

OK....

Let me take you back to the old SCCA days when we were both running cars.

I remember that most of the DNFs that we all had......
Was when we cheaped out on one or two little things... And it came back to bite us in the ass......

This is another one of those times.... IMHO.

I B thinking you CAN swap sumpin out of your hoard to make a break even deal for all the goody's you need to do a complete front mounted cooler setup with a troutman T-Stat and all the goody's.

And if all of that doesn't work... No problems... Blame it on Eric or Aaron... I do.

I am here to help ya wrench it in if you ever ask... So ask dammit... I want an opportunity to give back.... Anyway your old and ugly... you need the help...

Claytonovich... East of Krackatoa
michel richard
FWIW, I used a Mazda cooler too. Here's a thread I had on the subject. I ended up cutting a whole end off, and having a new one welded on. You do need to make sure there's a baffle in the end between the two connection fittings, to make sure the oil is forced through the radiator and does not simpluy use a shortcut inside the "end box"

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=44825&hl=

Michel
Matt Romanowski
Why do we have such a fascination with Mazda's ability to cool oil?

I would say buy a Mocal, Setrab, whatever that is the right size, with the right AN fittings, with the right mounting tabs, with the right flow...

With all the money and time everyone spends on hacking together a Mazda unit, you could have a real one.
burton73
Why did they put an angle on the opposite end from the fittings? To make to oil flow easier? The real deal it came with my car but how much does it cost?

Bob
nein14
I recently scored a brand new RX-7 oil cooler, the drain plug when removed exposes the thermostat which can just be pulled out.

As far as it fitting in a GT shroud, the cooler is wider than the shroud and one hole is in the wrong place so I closed one of the side holes and put a new one on the top. Then split the fiberglass GT shroud down the middle and added a 2" piece of aluminum bent to the contour of the fiberglass and bonded the two 1/2's of the shroud to the aluminum and resined over the metal.

michel richard
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Feb 20 2007, 12:07 PM) *

Why do we have such a fascination with Mazda's ability to cool oil?

I would say buy a Mocal, Setrab, whatever that is the right size, with the right AN fittings, with the right mounting tabs, with the right flow...

With all the money and time everyone spends on hacking together a Mazda unit, you could have a real one.

The fascination with the Mazda cooler, IMHO, is because it is really really close to the right size (within a quarter inch or so, in most respects) it is the same type of construction as the original coolers, it is readily available for cheap and can be modified fairly easily.

No doubt it ends up being not much cheaper than buying a new one, but there are other advantages, as noted above.

Michel
Eric_Shea
And if all of that doesn't work... No problems... Blame it on Eric or Aaron... I do.

Wiener... dry.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 20 2007, 01:05 PM) *

Wiener... dry.gif

Porcupine Penis Dick
Twystd1
I am not a dick...

Well.. Ok ........ Maybe....

It's still not my fault........

C
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.