Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does anyone know this 914-6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwjames
I found this 914-6 for sale at JEM Motor Corp. in Hollywood, CA.

Link: http://www.jemmotorcorp.com/detail.aspx?iid=1157046

It looks like they are asking $30K, but also have some kind of online auction for it. Claims to be an original 50,000 mile car. Not sure that I'm liking the door kick plates and such on a high priced six.

Does anyone know anything about this car and the company selling it?
Porsche Rescue
Can't answer your question but my .02. Odo may say 40K but I doubt that very much. The late style passenger seat bothers me more than the kick plates. I don't see $30k there, maybe $20.
dlo914
good catch on the late style passenger seat! i didnt even see that one.
Pat Garvey
Several things come to mind when trying to judge a NICE car like this, at a $30k price.

Number one - we have no idea what the undercarriage looks like. It is a California car, but that doesn't mean there aren't some problems - though I'd expect them to be minimal.

Number two - the car is apparently being brokered. That means profit for 2 parties. Doesn't mean there isn't wiggle room in the price, but it still seems high. And here are some reasons for my saying that:

The backpad is from a '72 or later 914.
The seats are also - basketweave on both.
The belt on tha pass side is competition. I don't even see a belt for the drivers' side.
The steering wheel is unoriginal.
Aftermarket kick & scuff plates on both doors. Not a major issue, since both are period aftermarket pieces.
The engine ompartment is dirty & the air cleaner appears to need refinishing.
The front spare tire cover is absolutely filthy & probably can't be cleaned.
Gas tank appears to need refinishing.
Filthy rear boot carpet (and we don't know what's underneath).
The Fuchs wheels appear to be 14", which isn't bogus - just not desireable.

However, the car does have the VIN. The car is very nice topside. It is NOT a piece of junk - far from it!

I think 30 is way too much, but 20 would be too little. The things that need to be taken car of and/or retrofitted to make this an "original" 914/6 are not all that costly. It's a worthy 914/6.
KaptKaos
Didn't the earlier cars have a big vent in the middle of the dash, on top for the defroster? I could be wrong, but I thought I had seen that too.
Porsche Rescue
Only the early 4's had the center vent. It was fresh air only I believe.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Feb 19 2007, 09:18 PM) *

Didn't the earlier cars have a big vent in the middle of the dash, on top for the defroster? I could be wrong, but I thought I had seen that too.

Yep, you are correct. Missed that one.

Sure would like to see the bellypan.
ws91420
Did the sixes have a hand throttle? Thought I read that somewhere.
Porsche Rescue
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Feb 19 2007, 06:55 PM) *

Did the sixes have a hand throttle? Thought I read that somewhere.

Yes, but no center dash vent.
So.Cal.914

Did the 6's have a 150 mph speedo? No rain tray, and the other things mentioned

above. Plus the body and paint look to good when compaired to the trunks, how

much bondo is it supporting?

ws91420
Did it replace the heater lever or were there two levers on sixes? This one only has one.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Feb 19 2007, 10:02 PM) *

Did it replace the heater lever or were there two levers on sixes? This one only has one.

I you look closely you'll the a piece of the hand throttle. Cold start would be impossible without it on the early 911 engines.
rwjames
I noticed a few of the obvious issues, but not all this. Somebody also told me they thought this car went unsold on ebay a while back with a high bid around $24,500.

Anyway, I think they are pretty ambitious at $30K.

It sounds like nobody from the club is familiar with this car.

Thanks for the info.
jagalyn
QUOTE(rwjames @ Feb 20 2007, 06:08 PM) *

I noticed a few of the obvious issues, but not all this. Somebody also told me they thought this car went unsold on ebay a while back with a high bid around $24,500.

Anyway, I think they are pretty ambitious at $30K.

It sounds like nobody from the club is familiar with this car.

Thanks for the info.

I know this car. Broker is handling this for free because of a relationship. The owner is firm and will not sell for 1 penny less. He is aboslutely firm and doesn't need to sell. Car has been driven very little last 10 years. Trunks and engine compartment do not look as good as the exterior. Non original seats, seat belts, steering wheel, tail lights. Dent in the front bumper. Scrape on the bottom of the front valance. Diamond plate punctures in original door panels and carpeting.
911quest
Didn't you just sell a yellow 914/6? biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 19 2007, 07:07 PM) *

I you look closely you'll the a piece of the hand throttle.

Check the picture taken through the open passenger's side door. The hand throttle is clearly visible, just aft of the center console. Little lever with a black plastic knob on it.

Damn Flash Player won't let me link directly to the picture... sad.gif

--DD
Gustl
you're talking about this one? cool.gif

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Gustl @ Feb 20 2007, 09:35 PM) *

I bow to you, oh master of Flash image capture! pray.gif

(Yes, that's the one! See the lever between the center console and the gear shift lever?)

--DD
Gustl
Flash is a mystery to me - I just took a screenshot and saved tha JPG biggrin.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Porsche Rescue
That's "center deposit" to you Mr. Darling.
Mike D.
I inspected the car several months ago. It's clean, some mods, leaks oil, typical..little surface rust under battery if I remember correctly. Otherwise very clean.
I just don't think it's worth 30K, Modified too much CW, and/or not enough for hot rod. they guy I talked to at JEM said in was on consignment and he didn't know anything about the car
rwjames
QUOTE(911quest @ Feb 20 2007, 09:22 PM) *

Didn't you just sell a yellow 914/6? biggrin.gif

I had a yellow six about 3-1/2 years ago, but I had to sell it to move far enough south so I could drive a 914 year round. But the white 1.7 you bought is the one that bit me and almost killed me.

I do have the option to buy my old yellow six back some day, but I'm waiting for it to be in running condition.

poke.gif
rwjames
QUOTE(Gustl @ Feb 20 2007, 11:35 PM) *

Gustl,

This is the link I sent you earlier this week on the yellow car. It looks like a decent car, but it sounds like they want too much for it.

I'm still waiting to see what happens on the Tangerine six and hope to work something out on that car.

Rich
Gustl
Yepp, I saved all the pics when it was on eBay

seems to be a nice car, but the tangerine looks much better
so - good luck with the tangerine one!!

wavey.gif Gustl
911quest
we will have it running by the next time you get up here rolleyes.gif
horizontally-opposed
10,000-rpm tach, anyone? blink.gif

I'd sure like to know the story/reasoning behind that. Seems a wee bit odd for a "2.0-liter flat six, 110 hp." poke.gif

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 22 2007, 09:14 PM) *

10,000-rpm tach, anyone? blink.gif

I'd sure like to know the story/reasoning behind that. Seems a wee bit odd for a "2.0-liter flat six, 110 hp." poke.gif

agree.gif & a 180mph speedo?!! WTF.gif cool_shades.gif
911quest
Hey Rich this is for you the guy that bought it goes by zimms on this site
rwjames
That was my very first 914. That's also the car that almost killed me.
Seven 914's and a 914-6 later and here I am.

Get the six together and I'll be on may way North this weekend to drive it.

driving.gif beerchug.gif
Porsche Rescue
QUOTE(911quest @ Feb 22 2007, 06:34 PM) *

Hey Rich this is for you the guy that bought it goes by zimms on this site

Anyone know where I can get trim rings like on the white car? I bought some online thinking they were the deep "squared off" style as shown but received more shallow rounded style.
911quest
[quote name='rwjames' date='Feb 22 2007, 07:18 PM' post='866436']
That was my very first 914. That's also the car that almost killed me.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.