Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alter-ego tires for a bone stock CW 914/4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
I have no plans for a CW event this year & need tires. My CW tires are mounted on painted (gorgeous) steel wheels and are 28 years old (2000 miles). I'll replace these separately with somehing from Cocker.

Question here is - what should I put on my deep dish chromies for street driving? Last set on them was A008R's, and they were fantastic.

So, I'm looking for input since, as you can see, I've not bought tires in a while.

These are my considerations:

Wear - don't care.
Stickiness - care a lot.
Confidence value - must be high.
Autocross - maybe, but probably not. Spirited driving = lots.
Looks - not really important.

So, what would the shoes recommend?
ws91420
Yoko AS430 good road tire H rated good ride all season directional tread
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 19 2007, 10:56 PM) *

I have no plans for a CW event this year & need tires. My CW tires are mounted on painted (gorgeous) steel wheels and are 28 years old (2000 miles). I'll replace these separately with somehing from Cocker.

Question here is - what should I put on my deep dish chromies for street driving? Last set on them was A008R's, and they were fantastic.

So, I'm looking for input since, as you can see, I've not bought tires in a while.

Wear - don't care.
Stickiness - care a lot.

So, what would the shoes recommend

Just bought a set of Bridgestones in a semi perf. tire for a couple of my Audis, and I LOVE them. This is a much bigger and heavier car tho....200 turbo and 200 turbo Quattro.
On my teener, I am driving on a Firestone Firehawk that's about 10 years old and still VERY sticky for semi-spirited, but non-DE use.
On another Audi, an old 4000S I have a set of Yokohama 550's and I could not believe the transformation that made in the cars tossability on fast, curvy, road use. Had a totally different line thru the off camber , decreasing radius sweepers than my friends 944 or his 914- 2.0, but I tell you, they GRIP at 9/10s driving. Yoko's are all very good ....and quiet too. Wear like crap.......

Summing it up....anything that seems like it has little to no tread blocks, with long open grooves running with the pattern, in today's modern Japanese technology, has my first look. There is some VERY good stuff out there. Even Dunlop and Michelin are coming around to look better every year.

Good Luck !!!! driving.gif

mrgreenjeans
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 19 2007, 10:07 PM) *

Wear - don't care.
Stickiness - care a lot.

Just bought a set of Bridgestones in a semi perf. tire for a couple of my Audis, and I LOVE them. This is a much bigger and heavier car tho....200 turbo and 200 turbo Quattro.
On my teener, I am driving on a Firestone Firehawk that's about 10 years old and still VERY sticky for semi-spirited, but non-DE use.
On another Audi, an old 4000S I have a set of Yokohama 550's and I could not believe the transformation that made in the cars tossability on fast, curvy, road use. Had a totally different line thru the off camber , decreasing radius sweepers than my friends 944 or his 914- 2.0, but I tell you, they GRIP at 9/10s driving. Yoko's are all very good ....and quiet too. Wear like crap.......

Summing it up....anything that seems like it has little to no tread blocks, with long open grooves running with the pattern, in today's modern Japanese technology, has my first look. There is some VERY good stuff out there. Even Dunlop and Michelin are coming around to look better every year.

mrgreenjeans

I put a set of Dunlo SP4000's on my wife's Passat 2 years ago. Don't think they'll wear well, but boy do they grip "on that car". Little noisy, but I don't play the radio in the 914, so who cares? Input?
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 19 2007, 11:16 PM) *

QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 19 2007, 10:07 PM) *

Wear - don't care.
Stickiness - care a lot.

mrgreenjeans

I put a set of Dunlo SP4000's on my wife's Passat 2 years ago. Don't think they'll wear well, but boy do they grip "on that car". Little noisy, but I don't play the radio in the 914, so who cares? Input?

My M030 944 NA came with Dumb-flops , back in 84. Granted there have been leaps and bounds in technology since then, but have the good ol boys over Euro way, come to grips with it all , or are they still following the line like Goodyear does here ?
So....am a little sour in the mouth after THAT experience. Gave a whole new meaning to the term scared sh*tless, when finding they would not grip on turn in, nor dispense with water, nor brake well. Kind of like riding on hockey pucks....made in 1929. Will not go in that direction for a long while-----

Meanwhile, back to the subject at hand: you LIKE your Dunlops on the Passat ---and that's a very good handling car. Sweet in fact. Almost makes a guy grimace a little crawling into the teener, after riding in one.....( oh, but they are still so sweet and lovable grouphug.gif ) SOOOO, I digress....., if they have now found a compound in which to make a tire that seems to emit just a small amount of noise, compared to the elephants wailing I heard at speeds above 50 mph in the 44, then maybe they have also found a tread compound that ACTUALLY likes to get up close and personal with an asphalt surface without repelling said vehicle.

This is good.

Best wishes on the buy of your tire choice. Now , you only have to worry about the tire mounting procedure, and the 16 year old tire manager's son who thinks he knows how to operate the machine after Unca' Bucky's showed him how.....

mrgreenjeans
Ferg
I have a set of these coming this week for my car.

Falken Azenis 615

I read good things about the first generation, and also hearing good things about these. The only negative I hear is rain performance... Um yeah, like I drive my car in the rain blink.gif laugh.gif

Ferg
Aaron Cox
falkens are a pretty gnarly tire... wore mine out in sub 8000 miles, and a few AX's....

for a GOOD street tire, i use yokohama AVS ES 100's. very nicely priced, stick great! do ok in the rain (falkens are SCARY in the wet)
Eric_Shea
Ho, ho, ho... Pat wants big-ole-tires for his car.

Next it will be:

Vinyl graphics.
20" spinners.
Tail.
Stinger exhaust.
Engine transplant.
Name change to; Pat Paulos or Pat Zois
Butt crack avatar.
Bunny ears.
Boobs, boobs and more boobs.
Admin status.
And last but not least... (drum roll please)

The ability and willingness to close and lock threads the minute his hyperactive thyroid sends his estrogen levels through the removable hard top! w00t.gif

It's all downhill from here gang...
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 20 2007, 08:35 PM) *

Ho, ho, ho... Pat wants big-ole-tires for his car.

Next it will be:

Vinyl graphics.
20" spinners.
Tail.
Stinger exhaust.
Engine transplant.
Name change to; Pat Paulos or Pat Zois
Butt crack avatar.
Bunny ears.
Boobs, boobs and more boobs.
Admin status.
And last but not least... (drum roll please)

The ability and willingness to close and lock threads the minute his hyperactive thyroid sends his estrogen levels through the removable hard top! w00t.gif

It's all downhill from here gang...

Now just hold on a minute! I didn't say I wanted "big-ole-tires", just something that fills out the fenders & sticks. That's why I loved my A008R's (which still reside on my '73 T). Ima put em on da chromies - fa da street. Word!

Can you get spinners for 15 inch wheels?

No vinyl, no tail, no monster motor (at least on this 914).

Butt crack avatar? ummmm, no.

Admin status - see butt crack avatar.

Boobs? Well, you neeb to keep abreast of these things.

Close & lock threads? And miss stuff like this? Hardly.

BTW Eric - you're blocked ! Just kidding! You could easily overpower me anyway.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.