Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: before the ice age...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
I haven't been able to work on the car for almost 3 weeks.....

here are some pics of some things I worked on in January before the ice age...

The last one is my system I invented for a removable front licence bracket, I have this on my mustang cobra, it works like a receiver hitch....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

wbergtho
Yeah...I don't see much evidence of "global warming" where I live either. idea.gif It's kinda hard to get things done when hell is freezing over!
highways
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Feb 20 2007, 06:58 AM) *

Yeah...I don't see much evidence of "global warming" where I live either. idea.gif It's kinda hard to get things done when hell is freezing over!

Global warming just makes the extremes more extreme- including the cold, because there is more energy trapped in the system. So yes, you are seeing it. Geeze, I sound like a broken record. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

whip[1].gif

So.Cal.914
In the late 70's there was a simular warning (scare) on the news coming from

the same people, PHD's, that we were heading into a ice age. Not holding my

breath.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 20 2007, 08:23 PM) *

breath.

If I were you, I'd be holding MY breath! Just wrapped up a gorgeous South Philly dinner of pasta, "gravy", homemade wine & prosciutto & peppers.

I'll be spreading enough methane soon to melt BOTH the poles!
drewvw

I'm just happy we have 4 seasons again.

I agree that while global warming is a problem, nobody really knows for sure what the hell is going on. A lot of it is standard operating procedure for an active planet.
Eric_Shea
Thanks for that Pat... huh.gif

What lines are you using on that oil system?
wbergtho

breath.
Many years ago people once believed the Earth was flat. There was a consensus on that matter. Just because there seems to be a consensus that gobal warming is going to kill us all (including the Polar bears)....doesn't mean it actually exists. All indicators now actually still predict another ice age. What do I personally believe? Hell, I'd like to believe global warming actually exists because I'd run out and immediately buy a semi truck load of hair spray and explode the stuff off into the atmosphere to create a Hawaii like climate in Wisconsin! w00t.gif
dflesburg
What lines?

1" and 3/4" steel braded teflon line.
eric914
The car looks really nice smile.gif Have you had a chance to test the through the hood vent for the cooler?

For the reality on climate change (the new code word for global warming) just look as far as its main poster child Al Gore. If he really believed in what he was selling he would have given up the privet jet and his Limo a lone time ago and would be driving an electric car recharged from a solar array on top of his house.

If you really want to stump a global warming scientist ask them what the total amount of CO2 there is in the atmosphere and how much mankind is adding per year.

Then ask 10 more and see is there is a consensus. Is the science is there the numbers should be within 10% or so of each other.

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 20 2007, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 20 2007, 08:23 PM) *

breath.

If I were you, I'd be holding MY breath! Just wrapped up a gorgeous South Philly dinner of pasta, "gravy", homemade wine & prosciutto & peppers.

I'll be spreading enough methane soon to melt BOTH the poles!

Is that what that smell is? I thought it was the bodies in my basement. ph34r.gif
Eric_Shea
What lines?

1" and 3/4" steel braded teflon line.

By whom?
John
Eric,

I think that is from Discount Hydraulic Hose.

They sell the hose and the hose ends. The ends are steel not aluminum, but they have a nice selection of fittings/ends. I told him about it from when I did my oil lines.

just my $0.02
dflesburg
I told him about it from when I did my oil lines.

indeed,

"If I have seen further than others it is because I stood on the shoulders of Giants." A. Einstein.

NOBODY LIKED my battery cut off switch? I thought it was cool.
Eric_Shea

Nope. Sorry. We all took a vote and the consensus is... NOT COOL biggrin.gif

OK, ok... everything is cool. We're just jealous. Thanks for the link John. I know jack about this stuff and I have to get plumbing soon. Part of my put it together before I tear it apart to paint it project.

So... I'z got one of them fancy aluminum tanks and an RX7 cooler and an original 911 thermostat. Probably more bizaarr hose fittings than Clayton's last "event". Where do I start?
John

Where do I start?

A good place to start is the beginning.
pfierb
QUOTE(eric914 @ Feb 21 2007, 09:44 AM) *

The car looks really nice smile.gif Have you had a chance to test the through the hood vent for the cooler?

For the reality on climate change (the new code word for global warming) just look as far as its main poster child Al Gore. If he really believed in what he was selling he would have given up the privet jet and his Limo a lone time ago and would be driving an electric car recharged from a solar array on top of his house.

If you really want to stump a global warming scientist ask them what the total amount of CO2 there is in the atmosphere and how much mankind is adding per year.

Then ask 10 more and see is there is a consensus. Is the science is there the numbers should be within 10% or so of each other.

Isn't he the same guy that invented the internet?
John
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 21 2007, 12:55 PM) *

Nope. Sorry. We all took a vote and the consensus is... NOT COOL biggrin.gif

OK, ok... everything is cool. We're just jealous. Thanks for the link John. I know jack about this stuff and I have to get plumbing soon. Part of my put it together before I tear it apart to paint it project.

So... I'z got one of them fancy aluminum tanks and an RX7 cooler and an original 911 thermostat. Probably more bizaarr hose fittings than Clayton's last "event". Where do I start?

I would start by getting a real oil cooler (a new one with proper fittings). I would do the same with the thermostat.

This would at least get rid of SOME of the fitting fiasco.

If you want to keep your old used mis-matched components, I would start by welding proper fittings onto the RX7 cooler (the Japanese fittings are oddball). You can find adapters for the 911 thermostat, but I still think you would be ahead by buying a new one.

Next decide exactly how you will plumb it with oil filter and all in mind. (method to drain the tank, method to vent the tank, method to vent the engine, unions near the engine for engine removal, etc.)

Count up the required fittings, guess at the total hose you will need, take a deep breath and place the hose/fittings order. If you are lucky, you will only need to place 2-3 orders before you are done.

The "AN" fittings are interchangeable with JIC 37 degree fittings. The AN is a Army-Navy specification and it seems that all "AN" fittings are anodized aluminum. The industrial hydraulic fittings (JIC - Joint Industrial Counsel) are typically brass or plated steel. The fittings are measured by - (dash) sizes.

The - (dash) sizing is in increments of 1/16" and are nominal sizes. For instance, a -16 hose is listed as a 1" hose, but in reality the ID is 7/8", and a -12 hose is listed as 3/4", but in reality is 5/8" ID.

I hope this helps a little.

Good luck.
Eric_Shea
You forgot to double tape the bottom of the box wink.gif

I've gone round and round about the RX7 and I've heard from others with literally the same engine stating that it works and works well. I'm not going to put my engine at risk with a $40 cooler so if it bears out, it will be replaced.

I guess my application would be to have the thermostat back by the engine. I feel that is best for an immediate temp situation with the engine. Once the thermostat opens the lines and the cooler can help act to cool the engine oil. I thought the Posche factory cooler would be superior. What would you suggest?

Oil filter is on the tank. This is one of the GPR aluminum tanks. I believe it has a drain plug in the tank. If not, same old 914-6 style of draining wacko.gif

Sizes? I think this is what's confusing me.

John
You forgot to double tape the bottom of the box

Good point, but that's another story...

There is no real problem with RX7 coolers per se, but they have some attributes that would prevent me from trying another one:

1. Mine was used and that in itself gives me the creeps. (never again on my engine)

2. The fittings are Japanese metric fittings not easily adapted (at least by American hydraulic hose suppliers) which is why I suggest switching the fittings to JIC/AN fittings.

3. The 911 thermostat is ok, but again the fittings are non standard (at least in the USA). You can get adapters to adapt the metric threads to standard (JIC/AN) fittings, but IMHO, you would save money by buying a standard MOCAL thermostat that already has JIC/AN fittings integrated into the body of it.

You can locate the thermostat wherever you like. Mine is in the front. It bypasses the cooler loop and feeds the warm oil back to the tank (also front mounted in my car). I have had no issues with my setup in the 14 or so years that our track car has been plumbed this way, so I did my street car the exact same way. I may have thought differently if I had gone with a factory style tank, but at the time I did my conversion, they seemed to be unavailable until I had already bought my round tank. There are pros and cons both ways. It comes down to how you want your car to turn out. As long as the plumbing is well thought out and executed, there should be no problems.

If you are running a high rev (over 7,000 RPM) engine, I would consider going larger than -16 for the oil feed line and also consider anti-collapse springs for that line.

Is your GPR tank configured with -AN fittings or is it factory? I have no experience with these tanks. Sometimes I wish I would have waited, but the feeling quickly passes.

I think a member here makes those aluminum tanks... They should know what size the fittings are. (DWD tank?)

just my $0.02
dflesburg

? WTF ? - please elaborate.
SLITS
So, we're gonna rehash the RX7 cooler krap.

It is SOLIDLY built as opposed to some of the Long/Tru Cool krap I have bought. We ran one, without thermostat, on the race car with 180 psig startup pressure ..... 15 years no failure and it was used from a salvage yard. Yeh, we ran cleaner through it initially and everytime we blew an engine. Sorry, to cheap to go for the ultrasonic stuff (and no, contaminants in the cooler didn't blow the engines).

I can spend $200+ on Mocal or whatever plus hose and fittings. I spent $26 on the cooler .... that gives me about $174 to spend on cleaning / testing and fitting fittings. I think that will cover it.

It's aluminum ..... having fittings welded on ain't brain surgery. Maybe I can go to Home Depot and get some fittings and rethread them to Jap specifications. biggrin.gif

As far as where to mount the thermo ..... I'm still toying with using the stock Mazda one just because it's there. I know I can buy an "inline" thermo for $49 off the net. As far as the long run to the front with cold oil ...... so you idle the engine a little longer for the temp to come up or you just drive it and it will come up faster .....the system ain't gonna blow up at least in my envelope of experience.

I feel better now.

John
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 22 2007, 11:34 AM) *

So, we're gonna rehash the RX7 cooler krap.

It is SOLIDLY built as opposed to some of the Long/Tru Cool krap I have bought. We ran one, without thermostat, on the race car with 180 psig startup pressure ..... 15 years no failure and it was used from a salvage yard. Yeh, we ran cleaner through it initially and everytime we blew an engine. Sorry, to cheap to go for the ultrasonic stuff (and no, contaminants in the cooler didn't blow the engines).

I can spend $200+ on Mocal or whatever plus hose and fittings. I spent $26 on the cooler .... that gives me about $174 to spend on cleaning / testing and fitting fittings. I think that will cover it.

It's aluminum ..... having fittings welded on ain't brain surgery. Maybe I can go to Home Depot and get some fittings and rethread them to Jap specifications. biggrin.gif

As far as where to mount the thermo ..... I'm still toying with using the stock Mazda one just because it's there. I know I can buy an "inline" thermo for $49 off the net. As far as the long run to the front with cold oil ...... so you idle the engine a little longer for the temp to come up or you just drive it and it will come up faster .....the system ain't gonna blow up at least in my envelope of experience.

I feel better now.

Touchy.

I didn't think I was bashing the cooler. Ours was ok while it lasted. I just prefer not to use one again.

? WTF ? - please elaborate.

That is an inside thing between Eric and me. Please don't ask.

Eric_Shea
Tape - Inside joke that John usually never fails to mention. I hope Pop's got satisfactory results at the bank (please say yes).

Cooler - My concern is not the construction or the fittings but the "dash' size lines. I do have a 2.5 that loves to rev around or above 7k. It won't even wake up until 4k. I wanted to make sure it's not restrictive. I heard from another teener running the same engine and cooler that "it's been fine". That's my only concern.

Thermostat - Am I weird here (careful how you answer that dry.gif )? I'm thinking, if the engine gets hot, there's a short line to the thermostat to relay that message. If the thermostat is all the way up front (and I've seen some really cool cars that way Marvs3.6 etc.) then it may take a while for the thermostat to get that message... no? confused24.gif

So, once the engine says "I'm hot" the thermostat opens up and:

a ) uses the existing lines to help cool.
b ) uses the front cooler to help cool.

confused24.gif
John
Well the line size may be of concern depending on who you ask. The most critical line is the GRAVITY FEED line to the engine (enters just below the engine mounted cooler). This is also considered a suction hose. There are hose suppliers that sell a spring that prevents hose collapse (some go inside, some are external). The external spring wraps around the hose keeping the hose round and preventing it from collapsing. For the Gravity feed (suction) line on an engine that runs high RPM or moves a bunch of oil (3.6), I would recommend using an anti-collapse spring. (It's cheap insurance and can't hurt.)

I have always used -12 (3/4" nominal {5/8" actual ID}) and have not had a problem. Some have run 4-cyl cars with -10 lines (5/8" nominal {1/2" actual ID}), but I think that may be marginal. (in my opinion)

Thermostat (again, my opinion)

The engine warms the oil and the oil circulates. When hot oil reaches the thermostat, the thermostat opens allowing HOT oil to pass through the oil cooler.

Moving the thermostat to the front simply gives the engine a larger volume of cold oil to heat up. Once that volume gets hot, the thermostat opens allowing oil to flow through the cooler (also increasing the oil volume for the engine). Either way, the thermostat works the same.

With a smaller initial volume of oil, the rear mounted thermostat would open before a front mounted thermostat, but I believe that since both plumbing schemes would have virtually the same total volume of oil, they would both reach temperature equilibrium at the same time. One opens the thermostat sooner, the other later.

Remember, if the thermostat is rear mounted, the engine oil reaches temperature, the thermostat opens and the tank will receive a bigger dose of cold oil. It's more involved than just saying one is better than the other.

(Disclaimer)
These are my opinions and I am entitled to them.
Please let me know reasoning behind any disagreement, otherwise ignore them if you want.

just my $0.02

P.S. Did I ever mention that I really like the spell check? When did that happen?

Bro, sorry to hijack your thread. (It's kind of rude and I apologize)

Post more pics to bring this thread back on topic!!!!!!!!!
Eric_Shea
Ooooooooops... we (I) did do a major job of hijacking.

Sorry. sad.gif

You've got spellcheck??
SLITS
QUOTE(John @ Feb 22 2007, 01:23 PM) *

Touchy.

Sorry .... still PMSing from yesterday.

I guess I need a Mydol.
drewvw
go have some blue cheese SLITS, that always makes me feel better.....
John
You've got spellcheck??

Yes spell check.

Simply type something in wrong, it gets a red underscore letting you know it is wrong. It only shows up in the reply window, so I assume it is a feature that was turned on by one of the kind admins.

However I did just update to Firefox 2.0.0.1 and that may be it. I don't know, but it works for me here at home as well as at work....
dflesburg
so much for my thread...

cant work on the car Saturday, not due to weather, but its PINEWOOD Derby Day...

John
Pics!

Post pics! Pics of the nephews.....

and more pics of your car. I know you took one or two.

hijacked.gif

You can hijack your own thread. Everyone else is.

silver914.jpg
drewvw
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Feb 23 2007, 01:26 PM) *

so much for my thread...

cant work on the car Saturday, not due to weather, but its PINEWOOD Derby Day...

lol....if it makes you feel better i really enjoyed it.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.