Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh, Reman 1.7 longblock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenporsche
I have tried the search funtion and I must not know what to ask for!! Does anyone know where I can get a Fresh reman'ed 1.7 longblock to rebuild my stock engine on? and how much should it cost? any input appriciated!! sad.gif
jd74914
Why do you need one? Why not just have your existing case (or another used case) checked out and line bored if necessary. The use new P&cs.
G e o r g e
your question is a little confusing a long block is basically the whole engine, less the external parts.... is this what you are looking for?
McMark
Because all the parts are the same when building these engines building a stock 1.7 motor is within a few hundred dollars of building a 2056. It's a common misconception that displacement = $ on stockish rebuilds. The only difference between a 1.7 build and a 2056 build is the size of the pistons and which crank you have in your hand to put in the case. If you really need a 1.7 for competitive purposes (AX or Concours) then you need to turn to the usual suspects for a quality rebuilt motor.
warrenporsche
I am keeping my stock FI. I just want to get all the bearings replaced and make sure the case is true before I put it back in A well known guy here in atlanta who shall remain nameless has quoted me $4500.oo to go through my longblock and freshen it up before re-install. so I am just looking for a more practical source I suppose. If I cannot get it done cheaper than that, the I will just have to do it myself I guess. I figured someone in this community might do that type of thing.
Chris Pincetich
agree.gif
It's kinda frustrating in that sense, because if it was cheap to rebuild the 1.7 I would...it makes more sense to go big with a little more planning and $$.

Mark- would a 2056 with Raby cam, Djet, and and 1.7 heads be a bad idea? The 2.0 heads or rebuild bigger heads are a big $$$ obstacle. I'm thinking that this combo, wiht the right cam could produce good low end torque, good mpg, and perform well below 6k rpm.

2.0 heads cost more than a running, complete 1.7 dry.gif

I'm putting together my list of little 914 bits to email to you today beerchug.gif
warrenporsche
Umm, I don't want to come off as a CW but I really just want a fresh, solid 1.7 like the car would have had new. I guess I can do it myself and have a machine shop do all the really detailed stuff, will I need any special tools to do this at home? besides the run of the mill mechanic's tools?
r_towle
Try Bob at Boston Engine Exchange.
Try google to find him.
Rich
anthony
QUOTE(warrenporsche @ Feb 20 2007, 09:03 AM) *

but I really just want a fresh, solid 1.7 like the car would have had new.

Why a 1.7 though when you can get a lot more power using a few modern ideas (cam/valvetrain)? You leave a monstrous amount of torque on the table.

IPB Image

If you want to do it yourself, check out Aircooledtechnology's kits. The 2056 is affordable and gives you a lot of bang for the buck.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/home.php?cat=308
blitZ
I recently refreshed my own 2.0, it was a good educational project as I learned a lot about my car. I went with 96mm p/c and a Raby cam. You might want to consider the same. The engine will look the same, but have needed extra power. I'll be happy to take you for a spin, might change your mind.
anthony
At least do a 1911 with a better cam. You should be able to freshen your whole engine into a 1911 for less than $2000.
warrenporsche
The 1911 sounds like a viable option, does anyone sell a kit with all the bearings, seals, whatever in one box ( minus the p/c)?
blitZ
QUOTE(warrenporsche @ Feb 20 2007, 03:54 PM) *

The 1911 sounds like a viable option, does anyone sell a kit with all the bearings, seals, whatever in one box ( minus the p/c)?

You can get a engine gasket/seal kit, I believe bearings are typically seperate.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(warrenporsche @ Feb 20 2007, 12:54 PM) *

No, finding the parts to rebuild a 1700 is pretty easy. The domed pistons are really hard to locate but Pelican Parts listed them recently.

Building a 1911 using the 1700 heads is ok if you have the heads rebuilt with bigger valves (42x36) and use the 9550 cam. You'll make good power with this combo.
warrenporsche
I have found a company called importmotor.com that I have contacted about sending me one, it will be around $1800 because I will be keeping my oringial motor- I cannot bare to part with it as a core! It may seem a little silly that I don't want to go through the bottom end right now, but I would REALLY like to keep this resto down to ONE year and get back to driving the thing!! I guess I thought this would be a pretty common item that falls outta trees since VW guys come across thiers so easy, If I get the motor from these folks I will let you all know how it runs
G e o r g e
i would do a search on Import motor on here and pelican and old club site. you might find that your 1800$ is going to be wasted............... headbang.gif
Al Meredith
Warren, I PMed you Al
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.