Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Aircards
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Last November I cancelled my home internet and bought an Aircard. I was travelling with the circus and planned on returning this year. Since then I've used it from time to time with varying results. Some cities have been pretty good and some have sucked, but I've been able to connect everywhere it's just slow in places like Columbia, SC.

Right now I'm sitting in the back of our rental car SUV driving from Atlanta to Knoxville. I'm getting some of the best throughput I've had since I bought it. And while I've used it while on location this is the first time I've used it while travelling down the freeway. I gotta say it's cool.

Being able to check email and 914World.com is really nice.

I'm probably gonna upgrade to Vista when Sony sends me my free copy but I'm concerned about drivers. I've read that the OS is new from the Kernel up and most drivers from XP will not work. I also recently found out that Sierra recently discontinued support for my card, the 580 (Sprint Version). I wonder if I'll be able to get Vista drivers for it.

Anyone else concerned? Know the answer? etc...
cooltimes
QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 20 2007, 11:16 AM) *

Last November I cancelled my home internet and bought an Aircard. I was travelling with the circus and planned on returning this year. Since then I've used it from time to time with varying results. Some cities have been pretty good and some have sucked, but I've been able to connect everywhere it's just slow in places like Columbia, SC.

Right now I'm sitting in the back of our rental car SUV driving from Atlanta to Knoxville. I'm getting some of the best throughput I've had since I bought it. And while I've used it while on location this is the first time I've used it while travelling down the freeway. I gotta say it's cool.

Being able to check email and 914World.com is really nice.

I'm probably gonna upgrade to Vista when Sony sends me my free copy but I'm concerned about drivers. I've read that the OS is new from the Kernel up and most drivers from XP will not work. I also recently found out that Sierra recently discontinued support for my card, the 580 (Sprint Version). I wonder if I'll be able to get Vista drivers for it.

Anyone else concerned? Know the answer? etc...

http://www.sierrawireless.com/product/prod...dows_vista.aspx

Editing from above link at 12:31 pm CST
Says End of Life is 2008 after I went back and read more than their opening page.
Sorry about the waste I made in haste but sure contradicts their opening page telling what they support and in fact won't very soon.
Heeltoe914
Yes the fact that you can connect anywhere anytime is great I uses mine on job sites very othen and when going down the highway my girl loves it.
SGB
I'll bet most of us old codgers saw this coming a long time ago. I know I sure did. Next is "cable TV", which will eventually be user specific- take it with you, watch it where you are- on your phone or laptop or TV...
KaptKaos
QUOTE(SGB @ Feb 20 2007, 05:51 PM) *

I'll bet most of us old codgers saw this coming a long time ago. I know I sure did. Next is "cable TV", which will eventually be user specific- take it with you, watch it where you are- on your phone or laptop or TV...

You're a little late to that party biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
I did a project for the city of phoenix to test out 3 different aircards. We built a GIS and stopped every 2 miles in a perfect grid around the city limits to capture speed and bandwith. Pretty neat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.