Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teflon spray
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
Through discussion with some coatings shops and engineers I've been given the name and source of an oil shedding teflon coating that comes in an aerosol can.

For treating the crankshaft journals (1-2mil) and thicker on the rest of the crankshafts and rods. Spray on, polish with chemwipe after it dries. compatible with motor oil.

The chemical engineer I spoke with also races Austin Sprites and uses it on his crank and bearings when building. He is an engineer at this company, they also sell dry film lubricant products and services for more money, and he specifically recomended this aerosol teflon product instead of treating the bearings with the dry film process.

We had a really good 30min. conversation about Austin engines and cars, so I'm feeling like he was being a cool and offering some free info.

Minimum order is a 10 can case.
anyone else maybe interested in trying it out?
I'd like a can to play with.
approx. $30 a can, maybe a few bucks less.

(total cost would be split evenly by the way,
zero interest in it for me other than not having to buy a whole case for myself.)

benefits according to him are for protection on startup, combined with engine honey, on the journals.
Treating the rest of the crank and rods is the typical "oil shedding" coating people pay money for.
Nothing sticks to teflon, and on non abrading surfaces the teflon coating doesn't come off and is temp. rated for engine internals.
Cant think of anything other info that might be of interest... other than he has experience with cryo treated cranks wearing quicker than nitrided cranks which I thought was interesting.
SGB
beer.gif

just watching right now.....
Dave_Darling
In the past, I would have been calling BS on this as fast and loud as I could. In general, you have to treat the base material carefully and then bake the Teflon on at a rather high temperature. That's the only way it stayed on.

Now? They may have come up with a way to make it stick... Maybe. I'm curious, but not curious enough to try it out on my own car.

--DD
Twystd1
PTFE in my oil.....

No thanks......

C
brer
PTFE in your oil....
I bet its already in there.

thermosetting resin types you are familiar with dave, according to the specs, operate up to 650 degrees.
aerosol type low molecular weight dry film that i have been looking into is good to 450. Resins are more of a permanent thing.

I think most people would agree with clayton, for lack of any information on it.
no biggie.
McMark
I'd be in for a can to play with. Step 1: do some testing with a 1.7 crank and a bucket of oil. wink.gif
brer
bucket of diesel oil. smile.gif

I'm going to ask for a sample.
Maybe I'll send it to McMark for testing once i've lubed my skateboard bearings.
McMark
Sounds good.

I'll pay for shipping. Now where did I put that $5 bill. wink.gif
brer
FWIW i've emailed the gent I spoke with.

"product does not have a binding agent. When dried it is pure PTFE in a
low molecular weight form. This means it is 'wax like' in nature and
adheres like a wax. It has a melting point around 600 deg F and the heat in
your engine will not effect it.

The PTFE solids that are detrimental to an engine are the high molecular
weight PTFE products. They tend to act as a sludge. I have seen no
negative aspects to using this in an engine. I even added the same PTFE we
use as an oil additive in an engine once to see if it would be
useful. It caused no damage what-so-ever to the engine. I saw no
improvements either so I dropped the idea.

The only surface preparation required for the application is a good
degreasing. It will bond better to a clean surface."
McMark
But more importantly, do we get a free can? wink.gif
Eric_Shea
Spoken like a true 914 owner lol3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.