Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cracks in the longs...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
This is my second crack discovery. Same place. This one is very early and is only 1" long and easily welded. Lucky to catch it now before it gets really bad.
McMark
Another one, cleaned up for welding. You can clearly see the crack here.
jgara962
Thanks for catching this and patching her up! clap56.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 20 2007, 11:54 AM) *

This is my second crack discovery. Same place. This one is very early and is only 1" long and easily welded. Lucky to catch it now before it gets really bad.

How does the outside under the black rocker panel look?
John
I have seen nearly identical cracks in the middle of the longs like that (both drivers side and passenger side.

I think there must be a stress concentration near that location.

I remember reading a long time ago in an old UpFixin that this was an area that should have the cage attached to (in a caged car). (They had a car on a sort of a vibration machine to determine node points/chassis weak points for a cage installation)

This is also another good reason to do the Engman (or similar) inner long reinforcement. The floor in the area just below this area can also begin to tear.

just my $0.02
jimkelly
sawzall-smiley.gif

do i smell a sawzall party coming on : )

jim
jgara962
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 20 2007, 02:16 PM) *

sawzall-smiley.gif

jim

huh.gif icon8.gif

No.

highways
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Feb 20 2007, 02:42 PM) *

sawzall-smiley.gif

jim

huh.gif icon8.gif

No.

He sure nipped that in the bud!
tooth.gif
jgara962
QUOTE(highways @ Feb 20 2007, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Feb 20 2007, 02:42 PM) *

sawzall-smiley.gif

jim

huh.gif icon8.gif

No.

He sure nipped that in the bud!
tooth.gif

A 1" crack and Jim is haulin' out the sawzall! biggrin.gif
Van914
Mark,
Mine cracked in the same place. Now I have a Safety Device Cage and don't worry about the flex.
Van914
PinetreePorsche
McMark: Just curious--is this a daily user, an autocross car, a track car, or what--what kind of stresses does it see? How big (hp, tx) and heavy (4, 6, or 8) is the motor? So the rest of us will know whether to get out the magnifying glass.
jgara962
QUOTE(PinetreePorsche @ Feb 21 2007, 03:46 AM) *

McMark: Just curious--is this a daily user, an autocross car, a track car, or what--what kind of stresses does it see? How big (hp, tx) and heavy (4, 6, or 8) is the motor? So the rest of us will know whether to get out the magnifying glass.

I purchased the car from another club member almost two years ago. He used it regularly and I suspect it also saw its share of track time at PCA events. Since purchasing it, I've only driven it maybe 5,000 miles and one autox. It has 2.0/4 in it.
McMark
QUOTE(Van914 @ Feb 21 2007, 02:13 AM) *

Mark,
Mine cracked in the same place. Now I have a Safety Device Cage and don't worry about the flex.
Van914

The other one I've seen in person was a much larger crack, and was in a track car with a cage. ohmy.gif

It's still worth keeping a close eye on this area in a track car. Street cars probably won't ever see a problem there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.