Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 pertronix ignition system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
proto31
Has anyone ever installed a pertronix magnetic points system in a 6 clynder setup with the stock CD unit? I just purchased the pertronix system and tried installing it yesterday. It didn't seem to work. The instruction (which were not specific to this car at all, it had more references to boat motors than to cars) said to connect the red wire to the positive side of the coil and the black to the negative side of the coil. I thought that it would make sense to attach the red to the wire that came from the CD unit. This is the wire that orignally went to the stock points. I attached the black wire to the ground side of the coil. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Thanks,

Dan
Allan
I installed one with the stock cd box and it worked fine. I can't remember how I wired it and I now have an MSD box so I can't go look.

Are you positive it's the right pertronix?

I don't think the paperwork I got with mine said anything about boat motors. huh.gif
proto31
It appears to the the right one for the car, i think that the instruction were generic...

Dan
QUOTE(Headrage @ Feb 20 2007, 01:19 PM) *

I installed one with the stock cd box and it worked fine. I can't remember how I wired it and I now have an MSD box so I can't go look.

Are you positive it's the right pertronix?

I don't think the paperwork I got with mine said anything about boat motors. huh.gif

highways
Why are you messing with that already? Car seemed to work fine a week ago. I remember I messed around with electronic ignition once (I think it was pertronics) but anyway I remember it had the same wiring and lots of directions for boats. It was a POS. Car ran much better once I gave up on it and went back to original distro and fixed what was wrong in the first place- trigger contact.

As far as I can recall, Porsche didn't make many boats. The ones that they did make rusted out before the dealerships could sell them. So that's probably why you ended up with highly valuable Pertronics parts.

poke.gif
IronHillRestorations
You have to get power to the "hot lead" of the pertronix. Since it's a CD system there isn't enough power in the distributor contact points (like a regular coil system) to power the pertronix unit. Call the company they are very helpful
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.