Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I know talk of Armrests and Cupholders is heresy, but....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Heckler
I saw this on a car being auctioned on eBay... I've already contacted the seller, and they don't know where it came from since it was already in the car when they purchased it...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Anybody have a clue where it came from, and where you might find one today?

Thanks!,
Dave
Crazyhippy
Looks like the "center console" sold for bench seat pick-up's. JC witney should carry them, Walmart might have them too.

BJH
TROJANMAN

you could probably pick up a gun rack while you're at it laugh.gif
highways
I'm pretty sure that's the unit that went into the 914 police cars. The cup holders are for coffee and the other thing is for 1/2 dozen donuts. It's very special edition.

dog.gif busted_cop.gif
GaroldShaffer
If you don't use your ash tray then try what I did. works great and is up out of the way of the shifter and vent controls.

My cup holder thread
mrgreenjeans
Kinda fits like a saddle on a sow. sad.gif

Now you know why Ferry didn't install them when the car was new......WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DRIVING THEM. NOT GOING ON A PICNIC IN THEM. The picnic comes together , AFTER you get where you are going, hopefully after a spirited and satisfying run thru woods, or on a curvy road, or dicing amongst traffic.

ALL of which should occur with out a stupid can of coke under your right shifting elbow....Ever see one of these installed in a Daytona Prototype ? Or a DE car, or for that matter in ANY 911 before the mid to late 90's when it became vogue to Americanize the European sports car...............

Porsche...... all the cars ever made are Porsche race cars. Some more than others

The drink rack drunk.gif belongs in Granny's Chrysler CSUV.

And this PO should be ar15.gif for desecrating the heritage.....

Sorry for the rant, but I just barf.gif on this crappy sort of lineage desecration.
McMark
Yes a cup holder is the ultimate desecration. rolleyes.gif av-943.gif

Apparently you haven't seen some of the abominations that come up on eBay occasionally. barf.gif
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 21 2007, 01:21 AM) *

Yes a cup holder is the ultimate desecration. rolleyes.gif av-943.gif

Apparently you haven't seen some of the abominations that come up on eBay occasionally. barf.gif
stirthepot.gif

I have ----and I totally agree......

When the Germans come to America for some of our Parades, they are amazed with the liberties we take with 'their' cars. I'm afraid in many ways they are secretly laughing behind our backs. Especially when they drive some of our American cars with all the 'luxury' features built in to accomodate our tastes.

And then we have the wonderful 'Bling' odyssey on Speed where they take perfectly good , AND freakin' brand new, quarter to half million dollar cars, and put the stoopidist Chit in them, so some gangsta QB from an NFL team , can show his homies, he's not only super rich but sooper dum.

Loser dudes, they need to have a remedial class in the art of Sports Car appreciation, administered rectally by the ghosts of Ferdinad and Enzo.......

Then, hold a drawing for one of us to win the keys for the car, after they've taken them away. Amurican Justice, Vigilante style......
Crazyhippy
I actually drive my car... 775miles to moab, and a cupholder would have been really nice. I'm doing 800 miles to Albequerque in the early summer, and will have one for that trip.

Appreciate your lack of cup holders all you want, i'll appreciate the car by driving it.

BJH
So.Cal.914
I married my cup holder. biggrin.gif
John
I thought cup holders were not allowed in cars in Germany.

I don't know this for a fact (maybe some German resident could chime in), but a local Porsche salesman told a group of us this at a DE event where they had some cars on display.

They coaxed me into a new 911 and my only gripe (other than the price) was "no cup holder".
jim_hoyland
Ultimate desacretion: cup with warmer?
r_towle
I dont think that cup holders are illegal in germany, just frowned upon.

Germans (residing in germany) take driving very seriously.
You really dont want someone drinking a cup of coffee going 120-160mph on the highway, do you?

BMW now has cup holders.
Mercedes now has cup holders.
VW and Audi have cup holders.
Porsche is just being stubborn, and cant figure out where to put them.

Rich
mikelsr
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 23 2007, 04:54 PM) *

Porsche is just being stubborn, and cant figure out where to put them.

Rich

Or know how to make them. The cup holders in my Boxster suck. We put a lot of miles on the Boxster and having cup holders are a nice option (if they would work).
blitZ
Too much extra weight.
dekman
Howard has cup holders! bye1.gif
Heckler
I fully agree that cup holders shouldn't be regularly used; however, there are times that I go on longer drives and it sure would be nice to have a place to put whatever I'm drinking so that I don't have to stop driving (other than to let out the cumulative liquids I've consumed blink.gif, which I try to coordinate with fuel stops)...

This particular one having an armrest as well was just interesting...

I'll just keep my eyes open for alternatives...

Thanks!
mudfoot76
I have one of those center armrest/cupholders. Don't worry, I take it out for DE and A/X activity, but when I'm on a cruise (esp. when the gf is riding shotgun), the center cupholder is nice for keeping a soda or water bottle. Mine fits better, but then my car interior is stripped down and with the aftermarket race seats, there is no elbow interference when shifting. As it sits in that yellow car, I might have just as much disdain others are sharing right now.

Garold's idea for modifying the ashtray is brilliant. Check it out if you haven't already.

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Mar 22 2007, 05:58 AM) *

Garold's idea for modifying the ashtray is brilliant. Check it out if you haven't already.

agree.gif biggrin.gif thumb3d.gif

dflesburg
Real men hold thier whiskey bottle between thier legs!
Tobra
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Mar 22 2007, 02:14 PM) *

Real men hold thier whiskey bottle between thier legs!

I tend to put my coffe there too, have had enough kids already.

I tend to spill stuff in my cup holder in the integra, and it won't toss me around nearly as hard in the turns. I hear what you are saying about long drives though. Why not get one of those ones that hang on the door?
Elliot Cannon
I have one on each side.
Elliot Cannon
Unfolds when in use.
Heckler
While it's an interesting solution, I don't care for the ashtray modification as I'd rather not have it up in my sightline. The cupholders on the doors are interesting, but I'm trying not ot put any holes where i don't have holes already (from show perspective)...

Thanks!
flesburg
A German fellow told me there are no cup holders in german cars because it is illegal to drink ANYTHING while driving (or eat anything or talk on cell phones, or play with girls knees or . . . anything else fun). He said because "beer would find its way into any container and so they just outlawed drinking anything period and do not put in container holders for that reason.

We will not be far behind. I heard they are going to outlaw cigarette lighters in Kalifonnia. How will I be able to plug in my radar detector or my cell phone????? Next will be cup holders. So, we will be way ahead of the time.
pfierb
This
Heckler
QUOTE(pfierb @ Mar 28 2007, 06:20 PM) *

This

"This" what?? biggrin.gif
krazykonrad
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 20 2007, 08:50 PM) *

Kinda fits like a saddle on a sow. sad.gif

Now you know why Ferry didn't install them when the car was new......WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DRIVING THEM. NOT GOING ON A PICNIC IN THEM. The picnic comes together , AFTER you get where you are going, hopefully after a spirited and satisfying run thru woods, or on a curvy road, or dicing amongst traffic.

ALL of which should occur with out a stupid can of coke under your right shifting elbow....Ever see one of these installed in a Daytona Prototype ? Or a DE car, or for that matter in ANY 911 before the mid to late 90's when it became vogue to Americanize the European sports car...............

Porsche...... all the cars ever made are Porsche race cars. Some more than others

The drink rack drunk.gif belongs in Granny's Chrysler CSUV.

And this PO should be ar15.gif for desecrating the heritage.....

Well said!
Konrad

Sorry for the rant, but I just barf.gif on this crappy sort of lineage desecration.

pfierb
QUOTE(Heckler @ Mar 28 2007, 10:16 PM) *

QUOTE(pfierb @ Mar 28 2007, 06:20 PM) *

This

"This" what?? biggrin.gif

Tried to include a few pictures of my cup holder set up but couldn't attach the pictures thought I deleted the message.
pfierb
this is what I was trying to post
woobn8r
Who would have thunk this topic to be so passionate!!!

When I was endurance racing, we always had a water bottle/tube set up for the driver...so there goes the "NO Drinks in a Race car" argument...

When I was 16, I think everybody learned to drive with a beer bottle between their legs...it might have even been on the drivers test up here in Canada way back then....I can't remember...Our beer bottles were short stubby ones back then too....some of us could even heel and toe with it....(try that with a 3-speed column shift) Certainly not apropriate in the last 2 - 3 decades though...

I don't buy the coffee thing...long trip or not, a REAL coffee drinker has his own travel mug which will not fit in any "holder" due to volume. If your coffee is that small it can fit in a dinky cup in a holder...you can probably do without...although if you could hook up a heated travel mug with a tube or IV that might work...

Water bottles come with a cap...snap or screw, take your choice, but it can sit on the seat beside you if you are not driving "spiritedly"...if you are, you can wedge it somewhere (use your imagination)...hopefully not under the pedals...

Kidding aside, I am not of the belief that europeans frown on cup holders...their towns are just closer and their trips shorter...so they are not needed.

Also our 914s are older cars that require some level of skill and/or attention to drive...unlike more modern luxo cars that have power assist everything, driving aids and air bags for when you fall asleep of boredom. Point being cup holders ARE apropriate for modern luxo cars...As for sports cars...I'm not sure why mine even has a radio.

I agree that I wouldnt want to introduce new holes to my 914 for a cup holder...but there are some ingenious solutions posted here, and I for one wouldn't hold it against anyone for personalizing their car....after all the car should be driven and enjoyed...if it takes a cup holder to choose the sports car ride into work, then... POWER to ya!
pfierb
QUOTE(pfierb @ Mar 29 2007, 09:38 AM) *

Need help with posting pictures that I took......keep getting "file to large" message have tried everything any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks here it is
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(pfierb @ Mar 29 2007, 07:20 AM) *

QUOTE(pfierb @ Mar 29 2007, 09:38 AM) *

Need help with posting pictures that I took......keep getting "file to large" message have tried everything any suggestions would be appreciated.

Check this link under the FAQ page here.

Image resizer
Howard
Travel without my favorite beverage? Cupholder insert from 95-00 Nissan Maxima. Pardon the dirty, haven't cleaned car since Route 66.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.