Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fastest motor removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
OK,
Stock FI system,,,who is the fastest..

This includes no setup time at all.

Walk in the garage...start.
How long till its out of the car, on the dolly/floor.
My best time was 45 min...but I took a few breaks for cigs...
I bet I could do it in 30 min...with no cigs...
And If there was money involved...probably less...like 15-20 min...
Rich
Twystd1
Remind me NEVER to race YOU...!!!!!!!!

C
wbergtho
That's pretty fast Rich...But I'm wondering why are you so good at taking your engine in & out? biggrin.gif (just razzing ya) I got really good at taking my transaxle in & out of my car due to a never ending supply of clutch problems on my V-8 car. At one point I realized I could probably challenge anyone on the face of the Earth to remove a 930 gearbox the fastest and then I stopped and realized again that this is nothing really to be proud of...If I was a genius mechanic/fabricator...I would have done it once and had a perfectly reliable & functioning set up the first time. But we all know the world is an imperfect place and these things happen. aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
With or without a Sawsall... happy11.gif That's pretty fast Rich.
Dave_Darling
I don't know about just removal, but I can have the drivetrain out, up on my "work stand" (AKA creatively placed cinder blocks and wood) and completely stripped with the heads off in about 4 hours, single-handed. And, if one buddy of mine is telling the truth, swearing the whole time without repeating myself once.

Something about three dropped valve seats in a couple thousand miles makes ya a little bit grumpy, y'know?

--DD
PinetreePorsche
I haven't looked at a Guiness book lately, but in the early 80's they had records for the quickest removal (??and re-install??) of a VW bug motor. I think a 4-man team was allowed. A shop (something Brothers, I think) S. of Boston had the record,at 97 seconds, for a while. The "do" was a big media event--lots of folks, cameras, etc.
SLITS
34 minutes** .........

Overhead lift, rolling table, air gun ......

**includes ciggy break & short BS session.
ClayPerrine
Supposed to leave for the MUSR on Thursday morning. Drove it into the garage on a Monday after work, exhaust stud pulled and the head blew a hole from the combustion chamber into the exhaust stud hole. Had the LH head in my hand in 30 minutes. Had the head to the machine shop while still warm from running. The machine shop fixed the head, and had it back to me Tuesday evening. I put the car back together and drove it around the block Wednesday afternoon. Drove it to Arkansas on Thursday, and it was the most trouble free trip I have ever had in a 914. It has not had the heads off since.

Of course this was using my lift and all my air tools.
type47
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 21 2007, 06:03 AM) *

Had the head to the machine shop while still warm from running.

pray.gif

i had to switch motors in my car; take out a carbed racing motor and install a street D-jet motor. i took the floor jack out sunday evening and drove the car the next saturday. do i get a prize for being the slowest at removing an engine?

cool.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 21 2007, 09:03 AM) *

Supposed to leave for the MUSR on Thursday morning. Drove it into the garage on a Monday after work, exhaust stud pulled and the head blew a hole from the combustion chamber into the exhaust stud hole. Had the LH head in my hand in 30 minutes. Had the head to the machine shop while still warm from running. The machine shop fixed the head, and had it back to me Tuesday evening. I put the car back together and drove it around the block Wednesday afternoon. Drove it to Arkansas on Thursday, and it was the most trouble free trip I have ever had in a 914. It has not had the heads off since.

That is fast....

I think the lift makes it so you dont have to get up and down so often...

Its the one part I dont like about it...
I have to go from one side to the other to let the lacks down slowly..
So, I get tired getting up and down all the time...

You and Ron take the prize....
I think your motor must have been out in what, 15 min...

WOW

Rich
Aaron Cox
i can do it in about 40 with carbs... best i could get it down with an FI motor
byndbad914
Had a new Kennedy pressure plate fail/bend the forks in my 901 one night just after 10pm on the way home from college - mechanics classes nonetheless! - and had to be to work the next AM. I had the old clutch still laying around - stock 72 with FI I had the motor and trans out, the clutch replaced, and back in the car in 90 minutes!

That was when I was thin, in shape and in my 20s happy11.gif I had a floor jack, two stands, and had to use hand tools because an air compressor in my housing complex at the time at 11pm would have certainly meant a fight from someone. I was really proud of that time back then, but as someone mentioned, it took practice and a 914 will give you a lot of practice headbang.gif 'Course I had just done that swap maybe a couple weeks before so the whole disassembly process was fresh in my head.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 21 2007, 09:54 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 21 2007, 09:03 AM) *

That is fast....

I think the lift makes it so you dont have to get up and down so often...

Its the one part I dont like about it...
I have to go from one side to the other to let the lacks down slowly..
So, I get tired getting up and down all the time...

You and Ron take the prize....
I think your motor must have been out in what, 15 min...

WOW

Rich

More like 20 minutes. I kinda freaked Betty out. I drove her car to work that morning because I had replaced a sticking throttle cable. She sees me leave for work in her perfectly running 914, and she comes home to me in the garage with the motor out of her car and the cylinder head off. She was sure we would have to go to the Ramble in our BMW.

I have to thank Lyle Cherry. He did a great job fixing it right and in a hurry. It wasn't cheap ($$$) but it got done!

alpha434
What about fastest 901 build?

I got 45 minutes with 2 guys.
URY914
I got mine out in 12 seconds once.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 21 2007, 06:03 PM) *

I got mine out in 12 seconds once.

huh.gif
No way! How big was the puddle of gas?
Brando
About 30 minutes.
Crazyhippy
30 min is about right... just working, not rushing.

Anyone want to go for fastest V-8 conversion? I drove a car into the shop on a sat morning w/ a 1.7 and out on sunday for a late lunch w/ a 5.7 biggrin.gif

BJH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.