Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So what would it take?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
OK, I will get all my nomex on....this is not intended to be hurtful or negative in anyway.

the two site thing is kind of a drag....what would it take from both sides to merge the two (almost identical) sites back into one big wonderful site again..?

thanks for thoughtful responses. smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
I wish I knew. Honestly I feel that some egos on both sides need to step back and sit down and talk with out fighting about who said / did what to who.

For what it is worth, I do miss the old non club.
DanT
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Feb 20 2007, 09:49 PM) *

I wish I knew. Honestly I feel that some egos on both sides need to step back and sit down and talk with out fighting about who said / did what to who.

For what it is worth, I do miss the old non club.

Right Garold, I think there are more folks with that feeling/attitude than the alternative....now to just get the powers that be to adopt those same attitudes.
Dave_Darling
I think it would take a large application of explosives...

Uhh, or maybe just the agreement of about ten people to drop everything that has gone by and kiss and make up.

Of the two, the former one seems by far the more likely. It appears that a number of people wound up with a very "personal" (ego) stake in the exact disposition of the club or community or non-club or whatever you wanna call it. Some of them are people who were only indirectly involved. (Read over some of the postings on the Club, World, and NARP sites from the time before World showed up. You'll get some idea of what I mean.)

I don't see it happening. There has been too much posturing, too much name-calling, and too many hard feelings under the bridge for everyone to kiss and make up. It's kind of stupid in many ways, but it is also human nature. And it only gets magnified when money is involved, IMHO.

I have tried to stay out of all of the mess as much as I could, partly to preserve my own (limited) sanity, and partly in an attempt to act mature about it. (One of few ways I make an effort to be mature! wink.gif )

I think the "split board" system is here to stay. Eventually one or the other may die off. But I don't see that happening soon, nor do I see any kind of "re-merging" of the BBSes and the saved content.

--DD
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 20 2007, 10:03 PM) *

Eventually one or the other may die off. But I don't see that happening soon...

I disagree with the part in bold.
Chris Pincetich
Several possible situations could eliminate one site, I am not endorsing either or any beerchug.gif
1) Mike Z and Brad in a no-holds barred cage match armed with 19mm wrenches and dueling till death
2) Brad making all new Boxter friends and not posting about 914s, reducing club traffic by 60% and alienating teener friends
3) Eric Shea offering free caliper rebuilds for anyone that trades in their club badge for a world sticker, no core charge
4) Devlopment of 914 3-D PET interactive Wikki with hyperlinked build tips to make one or the other site obsolete and in the stone age
5) Dare I say this: One site gets the E-commerce act together and offers killer deals, group buys, quality swag, and bro-to-bro trading of used parts and tools
6) One site charges users a fee driving everyone off
7) Drama queens run so rampant on one site that the "Ignore User" function deletes 90% of posts at one site vs the other

I feel too much free 914 info is never enough....but the arguements that drive a wedge pin between fellow 914 die-hards is just toooooo baaaaaaaad sheeplove.gif
laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 20 2007, 09:43 PM) *

OK, I will get all my nomex on....this is not intended to be hurtful or negative in anyway.

the two site thing is kind of a drag....what would it take from both sides to merge the two (almost identical) sites back into one big wonderful site again..?

thanks for thoughtful responses. smile.gif

I cannot exactly step out of admin role, and reply as a member, because i was involved in it firsthand, and cannot dismiss those details.
***this is my personal opinion***
Its not an ego thing. Its not a pride thing. Its a vision thing.

kind of like political parties, you dont have to agree with their 'view' but you should still remain civil. If you do not agree with their 'view', you would not become a member of their party smile.gif if you share some of their views, become an independant chairfall.gif

remain civil, and visit whichever party you want to, one or all.

no hard feelings between myself and any other people. you can have 4 homes if you choose. just please dont go into someones home and say your other home is better smile.gif

pretty simple.

night all.
AA
736conver

you can have 4 homes if you choose. just please dont go into someones home and say your other home is better smile.gif

pretty simple.

Couldnt have said it any better. Go where you like it and be happy.
bondo
I think there is a group that I am a part of that may be underrepresented. I've been quiet about it because I'm not one to be vocal about my opinions, but I think in this case it's worth mentioning.

I think the split was a good thing. Of course the way it happened was bad, but I think it needed to happen and would have eventually one way or another. I have chosen to make world my home, and I am pleased with the direction it has gone since the split. I do not believe the old non-club could ever have become what world is now. Trying to re-merge the sites would be like trying to un-do the big bang.

As an added bonus there are several people (who shall remain nameless) that didn't transition over to world, that frankly, I don't miss. I can't be the only one that feels this way.

This is the only pot-stirring I intend to do. You now know how I feel. I don't need to discuss it further. Good day.
Rusty
Like Aaron, it's difficult to not wear an Admin hat when commenting... but i'll do my best.

It's been a rough road. There are differences in leadership and style among all of the various sites. I believe that variety and friendly competition are great things... they encourage people to strive for excellence. Also, they allow people to find a home that best matches their needs.

I hope that our friends enjoy hanging out here. But if another place is more to their taste... I'm glad they found someplace that will make them happy. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. If you happen to know who has been logging into other sites and posting trash - please ask them to stop. It's not constructive and just prevents old wounds from healing.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Feb 21 2007, 12:42 AM) *

P.S. If you happen to know who has been logging into other sites and posting trash - please ask them to stop.

IPB Image
chairfall.gif
EdwardBlume
I agree with Dan. Its too many sites which means we all end up online longer, which means that we'll all get fatter, which means that we'll all end up snaping our cars in half because we didn't do anything about the battery rust.

Sure, people have different visions, but its still the same awesome car, the daily postings end up being pretty much the same, and we all have a common interest (to keep our cars on the road).

While admins may not feel the pangs of unity in their hearts or hear the National Anthem in the background, wouldn't it be nice to have things the way they were before all this happened?

As an unfrequent poster, I really appreciate this site and the ability to get a hard fix on my 914 addiction. Like many people, I hate the feeling of having to choose when I decide which site to go on, because to me its not about the content or colors, its about the people - ALL of the 914 folks.

That said, I get it. We're going to have different sites until the ones with the least traffic fall off.

ThinAir
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Feb 20 2007, 11:47 PM) *

... trades in their club badge for a world sticker...

If only world stickers existed. I keep trying to make some, but can't get an answer about permission to use the world logo.
jimkelly
i don't care really - this is where i hang my hat : )
warrenporsche
A lot of red asses about old VW's with the engine in the middle, that's my .02
blitZ
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 21 2007, 09:44 AM) *

i don't care really - this is where i hang my hat : )

Ditto...

I still have the same number of sites to visit regularly. Here, Aircoled Tech forum and PP.
DanT
thank you to Rusty and Aaron for your candid comments....this was not meant to be a he said, he said thread...I am just interested in seeing what folks think about this without being nasty or hateful....

This is something I guess we will all have to get used to since it does not appear the primary parties in the split will ever be able to have a common vision/feel for what the 914 community should be or want...
ws91420
To me this has more the feel of the club site before the blow up. I go to the club site and I see in the OT thread a thread asking for votes for a guys sister/ cousin to win a contest. It had been moved there from the main forum. In the pre split that would have remained in the main forum. To me the people are important as much as the car. We are a bunch of people that are building friendships that happen to have a common interest a 30+ year old car. The other site has become more just about the car it seems to me. What attracted me in 2003 was the people and willingness to help. I do not get the perks that the left coasters do of having someone less than 20 min away to help or the ability to get a large volume of people around for a BBQ once a month.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Feb 21 2007, 06:14 AM) *

If only world stickers existed. I keep trying to make some, but can't get an answer about permission to use the world logo.

Ernie - send McMark a PM. He is an Admin here and had some made, I just got mine in the mail and it is now stuck to my 914. beerchug.gif

I agree with others tht stated that this place feels more like the old club
Mark Henry
I used to hang out...now I only think of these sites as a tool. I'll only be here if I have a question (OT or not) or I'm selling something.
You guys are still my on-line buds but the honeymoon is over.
I take no sides...frankly I don't care.

Not on-line much anymore and to me that's a good thing. With that the wife and kids agree.
r_towle
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Feb 21 2007, 09:14 AM) *

McMark answered this one a long time ago.
At least a month ago.

He posted the JPG, offered it to anyone who wants to step up and make anything they want.

Ask McMark for the file, and print up as much stuff as you want.

Rich
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Feb 21 2007, 08:47 AM) *

To me this has more the feel of the club site before the blow up. I go to the club site and I see in the OT thread a thread asking for votes for a guys sister/ cousin to win a contest. It had been moved there from the main forum. In the pre split that would have remained in the main forum.

She was kinda hot. drooley.gif It should have stayed in the main forum happy11.gif

(that oughta increase their traffic today chairfall.gif )
Bleyseng
I voted for another girl dry.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Feb 21 2007, 07:48 AM) *

IPB Image
chairfall.gif

Your cartoon reminds me of those two old guys in the Muppet Show... lacking any proper names, I'll call them Slits and Howard. biggrin.gif
McMark
av-943.gif

Nice one LB.
cooltimes
This is my own opinion. Yours will be different. LOL

When it's like the beginning, about the fun of owning, driving and working on the car as well as the people who drive them, not about a person or their control of what content MUST be to post in the mainline forum.

Not a rigid forum favoring those who already knows it all, or those who think their input is and should be about changing the character of why we like the 914 to begin with, rather than helping all the other "newbies" wanting info to get it back on the road and keep it there.

Those choices have a menu on the forum here at 914world. Hit the button that rings your own bell but don't think you can ring mine for me. I visit them all.

Which is why if you prefer one site over the other, who cares. Suit yourself. Where the friends go and communicate, like in their garage, BS included is where most will probably be found so seems likely I will see most of you right here.

Mike

Howard
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Feb 21 2007, 08:47 AM) *

IPB Image
chairfall.gif

Your cartoon reminds me of those two old guys in the Muppet Show... lacking any proper names, I'll call them Slits and Howard. biggrin.gif

WTF.gif

I ordinarily don't respond to stuff like this, but Ron and I have really stayed out of the ego battle here (and there). Ron rarely posts at club or com lately. Your loss. This guy has been free with his parts, expertise and time.

My place? I tried to 'buy' the club with an offer to pay Z off and keep things running the way they were. It was OK with Andy, OK with Brad, OK with Z. But the deal never happened. I wonder why. Really.
Rusty
Dude... it was a friendly joke. I hold both of you in high regard.

I hoped you'd come by and play. sad.gif

Sorry. I can delete it if you'd like.
TROJANMAN

popcorn[1].gif
Carlitos Way
QUOTE(Howard @ Feb 21 2007, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Feb 21 2007, 08:47 AM) *

IPB Image
chairfall.gif

WTF.gif

I ordinarily don't respond to stuff like this, but Ron and I have really stayed out of the ego battle here (and there). Ron rarely posts at club or com lately. Your loss. This guy has been free with his parts, expertise and time.

My place? I tried to 'buy' the club with an offer to pay Z off and keep things running the way they were. It was OK with Andy, OK with Brad, OK with Z. But the deal never happened. I wonder why. Really.

HOWARD FOR PRESIDENT![size=7][font=Arial Black][b][color=#FF0000]
TROJANMAN
i'd vote for howard, but it owuld be like a wasted vote.
jack bauer's going to win laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
It was OK with Andy, OK with Brad, OK with Z. But the deal never happened. I wonder why. Really.

It was OK with "all" the other admins as well... really.
tdsmoonchild
Don't really care, I like this one! Haven't been to the old one since.
SLITS
Thank you Howard .... I'm just me.

As for the subject of this thread ...... if it ever happens, it will be a long time from now. I have my friends on World ..... Most of them even visit us at ClubNARP. I have posted on Club to let Brad know he is still welcome at the G & R festivities.

Sometimes I think that the whole entire truth will never come out and that is fine with me. When it really comes down to it, I fault the current Admins of World and the Admins of Club for not taking Howard up on his offer. And kudos to Howard, the "content" wasn't worth a plug nickle (that's still $0.05 isn't it).

So it is at it is ..... leave it be ..... the events will still be held no matter who's banner someone chooses to fly under. The questions will still be answered no matter on which site. And when we do all arrive at one place or another, we are still friends (well most of us anyway).

That's it for me ....all of this is really mentally tiring so put it to bed ...... now I'll just return to my normal asshole and shit-stirrer mode.
slothness
deadhorse.gif

This stuff is still going on? Who cares anymore.
Eric_Shea
I fault the current Admins of World and the Admins of Club for not taking Howard up on his offer. And kudos to Howard, the "content" wasn't worth a plug nickle (that's still $0.05 isn't it).

This is all bs.gif

Who's site was it to sell?

It was OK with Andy, OK with Brad

If it was OK with them (the sole partners in the LLC)... it would have been sold to Howard. P-E-R-I-O-D. If you want to stop the drama, then please do. Ron, Howard you know how much I care about you guys but... this simply doesn't make sense. And I, like you Ron, am getting sick and tired of us vs. them threads.

This latest go round points the finger at the collective known as "Admins" That's pretty fucking stupid in my book:

Aaron - Did you block the sale of Brad and Andy's site?
Z - Z's been cleared.
Gint - Did you block the sale of Brad and Andy's site?
Eric - Not me... it's not my site. I swear to god, cross my heart and hope to die.
Rusty - Did you block the sale of Brad and Andy's site?
Clay - Did you block the sale of Brad and Andy's site?
Mark - Did you block the sale of Brad and Andy's site?
Jeroen - Did you block the sale of Brad and Andy's site?
Brittian - Did you block the sale of Brad and Andy's site?

You had an LLC with two partners. Howard said he got an OK from both. Ron says he blames the admins... NOW I get it. If K-Mart goes down in flames blame the cashiers. Howard, sounds to me like you got "lied to"... you're a smart guy, figure it out.

Oh, almost forgot. This is the Internet. This is my business. Content is fucking King... check the stats and call me if you have any questions. I'll walk you through it.

Can we DROP THIS SHIT?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 21 2007, 05:50 PM) *

Can we DROP THIS SHIT?

agree.gif

This stromberg.gif is getting really old.

Picking at a wound means that it will never heal.

dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif
SLITS
Eric .... you took that way to seriously .... The fault was "the groups that were in power" at each site failed to sell it to one person who would have held it together.

So, since my statements are now a point of contention .... I feel no need to visit here anymore.

Enjoy!
Eric_Shea
Waaaaaaaaaaaa... that's mature.

How much more literal does "I fault the current Admins of World and the Admins of Club for not taking Howard up on his offer" get?

Sorry I failed to see the hidden meaning... or the joke. You've got a phone... fill me in.

Enjoy? What I don't enjoy is threads like this. You say "leave it be ....." and "put it to bed" and then blame the situation on "others" WHEN YOU KNOW THE TRUTH. I know you know the truth... you've said it to me many times over the phone. How can you do that Ron?
Pat Garvey
ENOUGH ALREADY!

I'm dug in here! But if this crap starts all over - I'm gone for good. Not to the "other" site, just plain gone.

I'm serious - this should have never been permitted to start again.

Why can't you people move on?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.