Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [OT]50°f (or less) in garage, I need heat !!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
okay, it's starting to cold here and working in the garage is not fun at this moment (cold floor, cold tools...everything is cold !!! )

how good are the heaters that use a propane tank?

~how long to they last??

I finally had to turn on the heater inside the house this week....even as cheap as I am, 60° is getting into the uncomfortable zone.....damn, there goes my PG&E bill sad.gif
rick 918-S
I have slab heat but I screwed up on the size of the water heater. So until I correct the floor heat. I installed a rec. room wall heater. Runs on propane. Ventless. Works great. I just move the air agound with a bow fan. I have to shut it off after about 15 min.
Aaron Cox
use a small thermonuclear device
Pnambic
If you've got a Magnesium engine case or tranny sitting around, I hear they burn nice and warm....
rick 918-S
When they come out with the new F150 you could get lots of magnisium from the body shops. There making the radiator supports out of the stuff. Un-repairable part when they start crashing them. They would cause one hell of a fire.
Joe Bob
I have one of those Bazzooka heaters that hook up to a propane tank.....don't use it no more. What ya got in trade?

You can adjust to heat up a room to sauna temps and as low as 80F.....a five gallon tank will last 8hours at top speed....has an electric ignitor and blower....
fiid
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Nov 24 2003, 08:10 PM)
When they come out with the new F150 you could get lots of magnisium from the body shops. There making the radiator supports out of the stuff. Un-repairable part when they start crashing them. They would cause one hell of a fire.

I don't get how people "forget" that magnesium burns like a mofo - it's not really THAT light compared to aluminium is it????
Qarl
You can adapt this method...
GWN7
I've got a propane/fan blower unit also. It takes the chill off in my garage till the wood stove catches up. Next summer I hope to put a natural gas furnace in there. Have a oil burner, but never used it.

Do you have room in your electrical panel for a 220v fan unit? The units are easy to get and no worrys about fire. Mount it up on the wall and point it toward the floor.
fiid
Bed Bath and Beyond have a vornado fan/heater unit that plugs into a 120V outlet and puts out a fair bit of heat. Vornado fans are also nice and quiet - I installed a fixed one in my server rack for that exact reason.

Fiid.
redshift
I am for C:Burn you waste oil.

Proud to be an American!

M
J P Stein
MUUHAHAHAH.....A CA puke gets cold....go figure laugh.gif

A pellet stove keeps my shop nice & toasty.
eresener
I have a wood burner in my shop...it was 25 this AM when I went out to play...wood is basically free... so the heat cost me the expense of a match and used newspaper....recycling...isn't great...

BTW magnesium is lighter than alumimum...and will burn your place down in a heardbeat...our family business was a foundry...we poured alum, mag and brass...mag was by far the most dangerous...if you get it burning...don't try to put it out with anything but sand... much experience at this...
Ed cool_shades.gif
joea9146
This is what I use its a Hot Dawg Heater by Modine, I run it off a propane
tank have a 3 car garage 24x36 I have the 60k BTU..... I like it beacuse there is
no open flame or pilot light.

Modine Hot Dawg Heater
rhodyguy
i was at costco yest. they have those dish shaped radiant electric heaters. the suckers really throw some heat. around $80 or so.

kevin
Bruce Allert
got a torpedo propane heater & a wood stove... the propane is nice & quick like mike said so the stove can get up to high heat then I can turn it off & watch the temp go down.... stove's not big enough. mad.gif
mikerose
costco they have those dish shaped radiant electric heaters.

This is what I use It work's Great. $ 50.00 and it will heat you right out of the shop.[COLOR=blue]
Joe Bob
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 25 2003, 05:51 AM)
i was at costco yest. they have those dish shaped radiant electric heaters. the suckers really throw some heat. around $80 or so.

kevin

You can also watch your electric meter spin like a top when you crank THAT puppy up....
r_towle
Mueller,

There are a few things I do.

I have many heaters, but I hate open flames in a garage with all the fuel etc sitting around.

I found in the local want ad a used home force hot air furnace, circa 150,000 but's, runs on oil...

Paid 25 bucks, no ducts, just sitting there blowing out into the space which is 36*36 cathedral cieling and no insulation on the roof, keeps it nice and toasty..

More important, because the concrete never really gets warm, I use a sleeping mat from the local camping supply place when I lay on the floor,,,keeps me nice and warm..Its amazing how much heat is sucked out of your body when on the floor.

Also, rubber mats at the benches keep you from getting tired and cold feet...look at Horse stall mats, cheap and very solid, thick and durable,,,

Rich
Joe Bob
Mueller, here's the one don't use no mo.....
Mueller
Thanks Mike, but I'll have to pass...........

I've decided to go with this unit, it's about 50 bucks or less when on sale and it'll work to heat/melt some larger powdercoating that I will be doing.
airsix
Why hasn't anyone suggested putting on pants and shoes? lol3.gif (just kidding Mike)

-Ben M.
Joe Bob
When it gets cold here....I put on socks with my Ugg boots and shorts..... mueba.gif
Qarl
Did I mention it's about 80 degrees outside today?

Ooops... Sorry!
jonwatts
Try to brag all you want Ellzey, you get about 2 weeks of nice weather a year; the rest of the time it's either too hot (usually) or too cold (occasionally). I can envy your cars and your house but I refuse to envy your weather.

Mikeeeee, try raking up some leaves before you work in the garage, does wonders for warming you up.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(kellzey @ Nov 25 2003, 09:47 AM)
Did I mention it's about 80 degrees outside today?

Ooops... Sorry!

Oh ya thanks.... mad.gif
scotty
Heat with wool wink.gif

Seriously, stay away from flame! I hate it when 914's go boom.
SteveSr
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Nov 24 2003, 07:19 PM)
I have slab heat but I screwed up on the size of the water heater. So until I correct the floor heat. I installed a rec. room wall heater. Runs on propane. Ventless. Works great. I just move the air agound with a bow fan. I have to shut it off after about 15 min.

I have slab heat........

Hey Rich,I plan on putting slab heat in my pole barn next year,what size tubing did you use?

Steve
Dave Avery
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 25 2003, 12:25 PM)
Thanks Mike, but I'll have to pass...........

I've decided to go with this unit, it's about 50 bucks or less when on sale and it'll work to heat/melt some larger powdercoating that I will be doing.

Mueller, I'm interested in something like that... does it have any sort of flame? What about exhaust... will it kill you off in one hour from all the CO?

I'm also worried about heating a garage with my car half full of gasoline in it.
Mark Henry
My shop is a 1800sq/ft pole barn with R-20 walls and R-40 ceiling built to R-2000 standard. Wood heat, it takes 1 1/2 bush cords to heat each winter. It costs me $350 Canadian for 2 bush cords, that is cut, split and delivered.

I built my shop myself in '96, my house was built in '83 and takes 4X that to heat it. mad.gif
Eric_Shea
Try This Link
mightyohm
As Brad knows I do almost all of my work OUTSIDE because my roommates think it is more important to park CARS in our garage than let me use it as a workshop. mad.gif

I want to know how I can heat our whole backyard in the winter. smile.gif
r_towle
Eric,
That is one scary looking contraption....

I would be fine with it in my still out in the woods, but not in my garage......

laugh.gif
Dave Avery
Eric, rofl... I like it, but did you read the ignition section? Yeargh! Soak XX with some YYY and light it with a lighter. Heh.

I am looking for something that is safe to use with a gas engined car around... I would not use it much, and would use it in bursts, not continuously. And certainly never unattended... anyone?
Eric_Shea
but did you read the ignition section?

Toilet paper right? laugh.gif

Hey... for $36 buck you too could burn your entire house down! beerchug.gif
ss6
I tried the non-vented propane heater and electric baseboards.

A 30 lb tank is only good for about a weekend, and the air tends to smell funky after awhile if there is any dust / paint / solvent / etc in the air.

Since I ran 220 out there for the welder, I just snagged a couple of baseboard heaters from HD and throttle the temp by plugging them in or not.

Electric is a tad more expensive than propane, but there are no open flames, and I don't have to worry about stopping and shlepping a tank out for refill, or running out when the place is closed for the day.
Dave Avery
What about a couple of these?

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDet...09976-1504-7260

Safe, bomb?
Dave Avery
Got two that look good: One, the 7060, which is a 5100BTU rafter mount radiant electric, for $59.00

http://www.heatershop.com/7060_overhead_ra...ace_heater.html

And another, which uses propane,
http://www.heatershop.com/mr_heater_portab...able_buddy.html

I'm thinking the first, pointed at my work area would probably work smile.gif

I tell you, this is nearly reason enough to move out to SoCal...
ss6
depends on what you're doing. The radiants will be good to keep you warm while standing over your engine stand fondling parts. If you're under the car and aim it there, you'll be broiling one side while freezing the other. For all around use, get something designed to heat the air, not an object.
joea9146
David:

John SS6 is right you need something that heats the Air not objects here in the Northeast
where it gets pretty cold the radiant heaters do not cut it ...... see my earlier post with the Hot Dawg heater link. I had a radiant heater and it only heated close to the area it was in. My Hot Dawg heater now heats the entire space. And it only burns about a gallon of Propane per hour
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.