Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust and 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
itsjeremy
So there's this early 70's 914 that has been sitting in the driveway of a house for about 20 years in Washington weather. I am concerned about aquiring an auto that will require major renovation. Never owned a 914 and always wanted one. What should I look for before making an offer? Certain spots like the Hell hole?
McMark
There are a few buying FAQs out there, but look at the hell hole (I'm assuming you know where it is), the rear trunk under the tail lights, behind the seats (floor pans and longitudinals), and bubbling in the door handle/sail panel area. You need to pick which is most important to you: driving a 914 or building/working on/fixing a 914. If it's driving, then you need to save pennies and buy a good car. 914 restoration can easily overwhelm people who are expecting a quick project. wink.gif But be patient and the perfect car will come along.
rjames
If it's been in the driveway for 20 years then I suspect there will be some rust issues. Checking the longs can be tough because if it's rusting there at all you might not be able to get the rocker panels off to check 'em without breaking the screws off. There are plenty of local guys (myself included) who would help you with an inspection if need be. Where is the car located?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.