Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quieting "SRS"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
I recently replaced the rear targa seal where the targa top meets the rear of the roll bar.

Now (especially on cooler days) the seal squeaks incessantly.

Is there anything I can do to help cure the squeak? I know that a tighter seal (or a firmer clamp) would help reduce the movement of the roof and therefore the squeak. I've done what I know to do in terms of making the clamp tighter.

How I'm a bit lost for ideas... confused24.gif

Anyone ...

jasons
Brainstorming....... Rub the seal with parrafin wax?
r_towle
QUOTE(jasons @ Feb 21 2007, 10:03 AM) *

Brainstorming....... Rub the seal with parrafin wax?

the seal is not squeaking.
Since you put in the new seal, the roof sits just a tad bit higher.
What is squeaking is the rubber blocks on the roof that are part of the rear roof attachment setup.

These blocks are hard rubber, and slide into the targa roof latch.
They are attached to the roof, just behind the pin that the latch catches.

Look at those rubbers, they can be adjusted, and they can be "lubed" with Glycerin from the local pharmacy.

Once you adjust, and lube...the squeak will be gone.

rhodyguy
you can put a little piece of felt that has adhesive on one side in each indent for the standoffs and the noise will be gone. the felt will fray, just replace it.

k
Grelber
Doug: Mine squeaked a bit, and I did what "Dr. 914" said to do: The roof latches are adjustable. I just moved the latch so they were a bit further away from the locking pin. They then clamped tighter, and held the top down firmer.
So.Cal.914
You can put a little piece of tubing on the catch, or do what I do...take it off smile.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Grelber @ Feb 21 2007, 11:08 AM) *

Doug: Mine squeaked a bit, and I did what "Dr. 914" said to do: The roof latches are adjustable. I just moved the latch so they were a bit further away from the locking pin. They then clamped tighter, and held the top down firmer.

agree.gif

No squeaky on either 914....

Oh. and it is nice to hear that you are able to address problems like this, instead of nasty carburetor problems. biggrin.gif
Betty
Doug,

I know this'll sound strange... but you have no idea how HAPPY I am that you have this problem!

It means you're finally getting to drive it enough to even know that the top squeaks. biggrin.gif

driving.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Johny Blackstain
You could also weld a custom fabricated steel roof on... biggrin.gif I'm sure that would get rid of the squeek... laugh.gif cool_shades.gif
dagdal1967
Thanks for all the info... I'll look into the adjustments when I get home.

And yes, Thanks to Clay (and to Betty's patience with my monopolizing Clay's time) I've finally got a car that I can drive and enjoy on a day to day basis.

Betty: You think YOU'RE happy. You should see the smile on my face! It's like driving a different car since we put the FI back on. aktion035.gif mueba.gif boldblue.gif

I'm even making excuses to go drive at lunch time!

Now it's just down to little niggles and the ever continuing day to day maintenance of a 30 year old car.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll let you know what I do.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.