Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: maaco enamel paint job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
i assume this does no chemically dry/harden - it drys by air ??

do any auto manufacturers use enamal paint on their cars ??

i am cool with the price and don't require awesome quality - 15 footer is ok : )

jim
nomore9one4
It is the way to go Jim if you want to save big money and you do not care about a show finish. I had my daytona painted there and they actually baked it. Just be sure you remove everything you don't want painted. I was told if you "tip" the painter he will spend alittle extra time with the gun. If you keep in mind that you get what you pay for and do not expect show quality you will be happy. smile.gif
jimkelly
very cool : )

jim
rmital
Last time I left a 914 at Macco it got smashed...but they do have great insurance!
...thank God...
jimkelly
that was at maaco - i did not know that.

cool about their insurance though : )

jim
rmital
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 21 2007, 12:57 PM) *

that was at maaco - i did not know that.

cool about their insurance though : )

jim

...they were actually really good about it...took into account all receits/monies put into the car.

more damage ($$) was done to their spray booth than to my car.
1bad914
To answer your question, yes it is one part paint. Most places bake it on. Great and simple, but will not return the OMG gloss that bc/cc can with proper rubbing and buffing. A frinf had a beetle done, it looked good and was still looking good a couple of years later. He did stip the car before he took it, they did repair some dings and chips and charged him $600. I can barely buy the materials to do it myself for that.
r_towle
I had my car done at Maaco.
While the paint is a fine product, and I am sure they use some cheap paint...cant see how they could afford to do it otherwise.
I did not think about tipping the painter...I think that the extra 100 dollars would ensure a great paint job.

Rip a bill in half, give him one half prior to painting...promise the other half afterwards...

I had runs and drips in the fenderwell, and under the rockers...
But it still looks ok after 6 years.

I did a beetle with single stage paint...if you pay for a good quality paint, and dont try to do with a metallic single stage...its fine.

Rich
736conver
Maaco sucks..........

I had my truck painted by them, by the 3rd day the paint was peeling on the lower rockers. My molding on the sides came off as they didnt attach it very well and my passenger side wiper flew off on the highway as that was also not attached well.

The mechanical things didnt piss me off as much as the paint peeling off. When I looked at the peeling area I saw they didnt even scuff the area and just painted over the existing factory paint. Didnt know I would have to ask them if they were going to prep the truck before they paint.

They are all independent so your maaco may vary. But ask lots of questions about everything they will or wont do.
Rusty
When I was taking my auto-body classes, the subject of Maaco came up. The instructor's head about spun around.

Anyways... he said that they buy lots of paint that are seconds, near expiration or overstock. Just what I was told. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. single stage is going to be cheaper than a BC/CC. I suppose if I was looking for the perfect concours shine (not perfect, but as close to original as I could get) then I'd go with a single stage enamel.
rmital
QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 21 2007, 01:48 PM) *

They are all independent so your maaco may vary.

agree.gif
Justinp71
I am not sure about Maaco but Earl Schieb's makes there own paint, so part of the sale is selling their own product.

I knew a guy that got his 914 painted red (non-metallic) from Maaco and I thought it looked really good, but he said he had to bring it back. They had to redo the paint around the front window.
kart54
A buddy and I did quite a few cars through both Maaco and Earl Sheib in college IN Santa Barbara. The trick to a good paint job by them was always the same. We prepped the car; scuffed the old paint, fixed small dents, removed all the hardware we wanted removed and not painted and then took the car in and taped it. We would look at several jobs by the various painters and then pick the guy who could lay on a decent paint job without runs.
Several times when we wanted really great paint jobs we made arrangements to bring the car in after hours, pay the best painter a little extra and have him do the final prep and shoot the car. I saw a black 2002 we did almost 20 years ago the other day at Schneider's in S.B. and it still looks great! The owner takes very good care of the car. I got a chance to talk to him and it's the same paint job we had done. No waves, very little bondo and the job has held up well.
Most painters will tell you its all about the prep.
Good Luck,
Randy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.