Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: valve spring pressures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
I'm interested in spring pressure preferences and the ideas surrounding them.
installed height
seat pressure
open pressures
dual
single
beehives

maybe the best place to start would be stock.
would someone like to throw that in, and maybe an opinion as to why it is good/bad?

brer
so how about stock installed heights and pressure
bd1308
Some of the questions you request are regarded as highly secretive--not many people are willing to divulge details on creating a more bullet-proof engine
McMark
Installed heights are more about seat/valve grinding than spring pressure.

Also, look at variable rate valve springs. wink.gif

The factory manual states 160-185 lbs springs.
brer
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Feb 28 2007, 07:42 PM) *

Some of the questions you request are regarded as highly secretive--not many people are willing to divulge details on creating a more bullet-proof engine

that seems like the case I guess.

Now that we've broken the seal on this box hopefully some will contribute.
Keep your sources. I dont care. But there must be a level of knowledge here that can be discussed without giving away secrets.

No big deal right?

beer.gif

or we can do this the hard way.
smash.gif
bd1308
It's sad this knowledge isnt more freely passed on between aircooled engine builders.....
brer
I have some info,.
and sources for cool stuff.

Its amazing how free discussion is about this in the subaru forum I read.

custom beehives
super alloy made to order valves 6mm stems

when I can cover ground on this subject
i'll post it. and you all should too.
flag.gif
Bleyseng
Well, it just that the thinking has changed recently. We used to install HD dual springs in order to be able to rev high. That caused problems elsewhere in the cam,lifters as high pressure results in high friction too. Plus the high pressure slams the valves shut which beats the seats into the head.
Now, the thinking is lighter valve train parts with less spring pressures to rev higher equals a engine that revs without so much abuse on the cam/lifters/heads.

This is one reason Jake is going with a roller lifter/cam combo so he can reduce the stress/friction of the valve train to rev higher.
Jake Raby
I take it that you guys didn't listen to my valvetrain radio show back in 2006....

It costs us thousands of dollars to gain information and thats not easy or smart to give away!
brer
height pressure
1.450 90lbs
1.350 122
1.150 185
0.950 255
0.875 bind

accomodates up to about .520 lift
1.100 bottom O.D.
spring mass 42g

installed height on my 2L Type 4 1.5
so it looks like with a little shimming I could run this spring
with not far off stock seat pressures.

with .5 or so of lift (still waiting on my cam specs)
I'd be looking at 250lbs

Since the shift is towards lighter components then the old way of thinking..
meaning heavy springs and such should no longer be "classified" right. laugh.gif
what did people used to think?

lets talk about it! smile.gif
brer
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 1 2007, 08:40 AM) *

I take it that you guys didn't listen to my valvetrain radio show back in 2006....

It costs us thousands of dollars to gain information and thats not easy or smart to give away!

no one expects you to give away the good stuff.

smile.gif

there is a level of information that should be discussed though.
otherwise the interest in type 4's will dwindle instead of grow IMO.

Bleyseng
I kinda like racing against the guys that still get their engines done by local guys who do stuff like in the 80's. They brag about their big motors, high lift cams, dual modo valve springs, huge 48x40 valves and suffer many mechanical breakdowns with typical problems - dropped valve seats etc. biggrin.gif

brer
so what was the worst valve size/spring combo that used to be Hot.
bd1308
I'm not wanting info on secret new innovative developments--

Just stock info would be great
brer
when i have that info i'll post it.
along with some other things.

brer
why am I even wasting my time here.

yawn.gif
bd1308
Obi Wan Brernobi, you're my only hope
Jake Raby
I now share all the data like this on my forum, if we do share it..

I'll be more than happy to share anything with anyone, thats why I offer consultation services.

Yes, even stock specs are hard to find that have any amount of research put into them for validity and understanding.

The valve train of the type 4 engine is its most important reliability and longevity aspect, giving information pertinent to it's operation opens the doors for guys like our old shadow Stromberg to copy and paste it to their own sites and use it against us in the future. I personally don't prefer to train my future rivals.
bd1308
no but I feel that stock information wouldn't hurt anybody's business--since there are many who dont use stock technology anymore.
Jake Raby
What is "Stock" exactly???

What specs are you looking for?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.