Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing paint overspray from seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
Anybody got a good way to remove paint overspray from seals w/o damaging the rubber? Not my bad - previous owner so paint has been there awhile.
Johny Blackstain
I know this might sound a bit absurd however I'm quite serious... try "creamy" peanut butter. Does wonders for removing wax from rubber & black plastic. Can't hurt the seals/rubber/etc... cool_shades.gif
Spoke
I've used both acetone and paint stripper.

The acetone I've dampened a cloth and rubbed until the paint released.

I think paint stripper uses acetone along with some jell stuff to keep the active ingredients from evaporating too fast.

Spoke
jasons
Lacquer thinner? Test and make sure it doesn't eat the rubber. Whatever you use wear rubber gloves!
markb
If you can remove them from the car, soak them in Simple Green. This will make the paint come right off, and it rejuvenates the rubber nicely, too.
r_towle
or goof off and steel wool.

Rich
Porsche Rescue
I have used lacquer thinner and fine steel wool many times with great results. Frankly, I usually didn't use gloves but probably should have.
Goof Off is also a great product, but I'm not sure it will work on all paints.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(markb @ Feb 21 2007, 02:42 PM) *

If you can remove them from the car, soak them in Simple Green. This will make the paint come right off, and it rejuvenates the rubber nicely, too.

i send my seals to a health spa when they need rejuvenation chairfall.gif
vertigo
I use the cheap autozone carb cleaner (1.19/can). Have no idea if it is actually good for carburator, but for removing paint it is great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.