Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One Headlight Stuck in Up Position
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nick mironov
I searched and read the topics I found on the subject. The topics mostly describe how the headlight motor system works. None describe what the typical problem is and how to fix it.

In my case, (1975) the headlight motor itself works. The right side headlight always comes up, but recently does not always go down. Is there a problem with the motor, a relay, something else? There is no obvious adjustment.

Nick
boxstr
Remove the realy on that side and reinstall, spray a little wd 40 in the socket holes.
CCLINUPANDDOWN
URY914
Spray it with some cold water. biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
Your trusty Haynes manual shows how to lower it in a jam. There is a non-obvious knob on the back of the motor, turn the knob A LOT and the light raises or lowers. The first time(s) I did it, I accidently unscrewed the knob...it works going either way.
Swap the relays side to side and see if that identifies a bad relay. beerchug.gif
Johny Blackstain
Disconnect the battery so you don't fry anything. When you turn the knob, check to see the "eye lids" aren't jamming up against the bottoms of the plastic headlight surrounds, (held on by 3 screws). You should also check for bad fuses, loose wires, grounds/shorts, etc... cool_shades.gif
ClayPerrine
Also try tapping on the motor with a screwdriver handle. There are wiper contacts in the motor, and they get dirty or corroded over time. If the contact is open, the headlight won't go down. Tapping on the motor may get the contact to reconnect, and the light will go down.

If that is the case, the easiest way to fix it is to replace the headlight motor assembly.

Project 6
If after four hours and it is still in that condition, call a doctor.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Bass Fisher @ Feb 22 2007, 12:51 PM) *

If after four hours and it is still in that condition, call a doctor.

You watch WAY too many commercials on TV. blink.gif

Rand
Any results Nick?

Swap the relays from side to side. If the problem trades sides, you have a bad relay.

If they both work, it was a dirty connection at the relay contacts.

If the right is still bad then it's the motor or wiring on that side.
MJHanna
I just took a hammer to mine. It stays down real nice now. piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.