Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What eles could it be?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shelby/914
Thought it was just a loose belt but it seems I'm getting 16+ volts out of the alt. Assumed it was the voltage regulator so put a different one in. Still 16+volts, so should I just buy an new alternator or could it be something else?

Speaking of alternators a new Bosch is $125, I heard that there is an Autolite that's a direct substitution for a lot less $. Anyone tried this?
Brando
There was a member here posting a while ago about remanufactured alternators with higher amperage outputs... I think they were in the $100 to $125 range.
SGB
I've run this path too, and ended up buying a new alternator. Mine was a reman Bosch and only lasted a year, replacing another reman Bosch which lasted a little longer- like 2.5 years. Find an alternative if you can. I don't think you can buy "em new, and the quality of the rebuilds seems to be consitanly bad.
drive-ability
I would say that 16 volts is too high, that would cook a battery in my humble opinion. Given the high voltage you may have a sulfated battery (high resistance), battery's in that condition will trigger regulators to ask for more charging voltage. I would look at the battery, a simple test is to place the battery on a charger (10 to 20) amp setting and place a volt meter on the battery as well. Turn on the charger and watch the voltage rise, if within the first 3 minutes the voltage goes above 15.5 volts your battery is skewed, it may work fine but will be pushing your alternator harder than a good battery.
McMark
agree.gif

Watch out for exploding batteries. ohmy.gif
Brando
"Did someone boil another battery, or is that the Snap-On man?" *

^ Oldie but goodie

You should see no more than ~13.7 volts at the battery to chassis ground when charging. 16 is way high. In most instances I've dealt with charging issues, it was either the alternator, the alternator and battery, or the battery. Failure of one can lead to failure of the other...

* I think only a few would know where that quote comes from.
eg914
IF you buy an alternator at your FLAPS be very careful. I purchased one last year that had to be returned. The back was notched in such a way that it would not seal to the back cover. I am talking about gaps about 1 inch by about 4 inches. Sorry I didn't get a picture to share. I returned it and bought a rebuilt from the local bug shop. More money, but Bosch and usable!!
jr91472
Slight hijack, but is it possible to rebuild alternators yourself? Seems like I have heard of people buying new brushes and bearings and doing it all at home.

confused24.gif
banger
You could replace the bearing and brushes yourself. Transpo sells the bearings and brushes. Dont know if they sell to the general public though. I have had problems in the past, where a repair shop just slaps new bearings in, without checking the bearing seats. When a bearing goes bad, the vibration can sometimes ruin the seat as well. You can put a new bearing in, but it wont last long if it is loose in the seat. I had to take a VW jetta alternator back 4 times to pep boys, since they wouldnt last more than 4 weeks. Finally I asked them who the rebuilder was, went there in person and told them to change the end caps on the alternator. That alternator has lasted over 70,000 miles now.

QUOTE(jr91472 @ Feb 22 2007, 04:48 AM) *

Slight hijack, but is it possible to rebuild alternators yourself? Seems like I have heard of people buying new brushes and bearings and doing it all at home.

confused24.gif

toon1

confused24.gif

QUOTE(banger @ Feb 22 2007, 07:08 AM) *

You could replace the bearing and brushes yourself. Transpo sells the bearings and brushes. Dont know if they sell to the general public though. I have had problems in the past, where a repair shop just slaps new bearings in, without checking the bearing seats. When a bearing goes bad, the vibration can sometimes ruin the seat as well. You can put a new bearing in, but it wont last long if it is loose in the seat. I had to take a VW jetta alternator back 4 times to pep boys, since they wouldnt last more than 4 weeks. Finally I asked them who the rebuilder was, went there in person and told them to change the end caps on the alternator. That alternator has lasted over 70,000 miles now.

confused24.gif

I just ordered new brushes from NAPA. They are $3.. I tried to get the bearings from them but they where unavail..

I am going to try Motion industries.

What is Transpo??
banger
I was looking at the regulator on my 914, and it said Transpo on it, so I looked it up. Transpo electronics sells regulators, bearings, brushed, sliprings etc. Pretty much everything you need for rebuliding alternators and starters. Here is their website Transpo Electronics

What is Transpo??
[/quote]
Brando
Save yourself the trouble, buy a new internally regulated alternator. Bypasses another possible fault point (external regulator).
SLITS
QUOTE(eg914 @ Feb 21 2007, 10:52 PM) *

IF you buy an alternator at your FLAPS be very careful. I purchased one last year that had to be returned. The back was notched in such a way that it would not seal to the back cover. I am talking about gaps about 1 inch by about 4 inches. Sorry I didn't get a picture to share. I returned it and bought a rebuilt from the local bug shop. More money, but Bosch and usable!!

The rebuilders have a problem with putting a to long stud for the battery connection (red wire) and it will ground out against the back cooling plate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.