Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O/T the big Kahuna oil filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
ar15.gif I got a Passat wagon with the 1.8T motor in it for when Bubba turns 16. It is a good running car and should be a good first car for him. I went onto Passatworld.com looking for what filter they all recomend. They said to search out the Big Kahuna filter. I found one at my local Napa store and had to take a photo of it next to what Fram lists for this car. huh.gif Its suposed to give me about a quart more oil over stock aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
pfierb
If it were me I would buy an O.E.M.filter.....you know it is right and probably is cheaper...just my 0.02 cents
jd74914
Maybe the extra oil helps it from roasting the too small turbo when people shut it down hot?

OT: I would ask about it on vwvortex.co I don't know how passatworld is as far as tech advice, but I know that a lot of the guys on the vortex forums are really good.
Mark Henry
Same oil filter NAPA will give you for a 911

I use malhe OC51 filters which I believe is made for the diesel engine.

Use a high quality syn-oil (I use ELF DLX 5w-40 that is VW505.5 certified) and pray that the PO changed the oil regularly. They can suffer from an oil sludge problem that can kill the engine (because of that little hot turbo) if you neglect the oil.

BTW changing the filter on a 1.8T Passat is a real joy. The malhe OC51 filter has a slot on the bottom that you can stick a 1" flatbar into to loosen it off...saves a lot of swearing...
Tobra
mahle filter here, NAPA generally has good stuff, I think their filters are made by WIX, don't like filters by Allied Signal(fram)
McMark
agree.gif

NAPA is WIX.
spare time toys
OT: I would ask about it on vwvortex.co I don't know how passatworld is as far as tech advice, but I know that a lot of the guys on the vortex forums are really good.
[/quote]

They link to the vortex in the thread about it. If you want a good laugh read this chairfall.gif

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=691260
pfierb
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 22 2007, 10:58 AM) *

agree.gif

NAPA is WIX.

Needed a filter for my MB C-280 couldn't get to the dealer so I bought a NAPA gold filter....Opened the box when I got home there was the bigest piece of junk....Made in India stamped on it... uneven pleats jagged metal end plates....Brought it back never again ....Bought a OEM filter from the dealer surprise it was cheaper than the NAPA Gold.
Cap'n Krusty
Given the problems associated with the 1.8T motors, I would NEVER use anything other than the OE 068 115 561B oil filter, in Mann, Mahle, or Hengst. I think buying a filter from ANY source which tells you that "one size fits all" is BULLSHIT. For VW/Audi cars, there are more than a half dozen different filters, most replaced by a single Fram. Don't you think that VW would simply specify one filter for all if that's what would work?

The filter I mention above is for diesel applications, and VW went to it for both filtration and volume. It was a running change and is a retrofit for cars built before the date of change. It's reasonably priced, widely available, and YOU KEEP YOUR WARRANTY! This is important because there's an extended warranty for many 1.8T engines. I have a good friend who lost a motor and couldn't prove he used dealer filters. There was a $7K difference in the bill ............................ Still wanna use CRAP filters? Maybe save a buck or 2 per oil change? BTW, ALWAYS use the VW supplied Castrol Syntec oil. Cheaper than Mobil 1, and keeps the engine alive.

The Cap'n
Tobra
Forgot about Mann, there was one of those in the rear trunk too when I bought the car, nice piece. The Bosche oil filters are crap too, BTW
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Tobra @ Feb 22 2007, 01:28 PM) *

Forgot about Mann, there was one of those in the rear trunk too when I bought the car, nice piece. The Bosche oil filters are crap too, BTW

Yup. Made in USA. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.