Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 towing for newbies?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass
I need to get my 914 to Brad Mayeur at 914 Ltd. Then I will spend a day going through my car with him and hopefully learning valve adjustment, sort out my ignition, and then whatever his experienced eyes might find. I can't wait for the weather to get nice so I can go for a drive, and it will be much more fun when some of the bugs that surfaced since buying the car last spring.

I have a '96 Cherokee, but no hitch.

I could recruit my father-in-law and/or his truck which has a hitch. He's a cross-country trucker so knows about, uh, towing and trailers and stuff. But I'd kinda like to go it on my own.

Do I just go to whatever shop can install a hitch and have them put one on my Jeep? I don't know how many more years I'll have the Jeep.

Then I rent a trailer or a dolly? Or get a VW tow bar and a David Lee 914 tow bar brackety? (Assuming I can install it easily in my cold crowded garage.)

Then I somehow get the 914 onto the trailer, tie it up to the wheels, and be careful while driving with a trailer for the first time?

Or do I just have my father-in-law come and run the show? smile.gif
biggrin.gif
jimkelly
you seem to be fully aware of your options. note: a jeep wrangler type vehicle I hear is not the best for towing due to short wheelbase. your FIL's truck and rent a dolly may be best.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 21 2007, 08:06 PM) *

you seem to be fully aware of your options. note: a jeep wrangler type vehicle I hear is not the best for towing due to short wheelbase. your FIL's truck and rent a dolly may be best.

agree.gif

Just use a tow dolly. Uhaul rental would come close to $100 for the day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.