Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I need to drop the tranny only to change the clutch fork ball but don't want to pull the entire engine.

My plan was leave the entire motor mount bar in, support the engine at the oil pan and pull the tranny back.

Is this possible?

Thanks
TROJANMAN
i custom cut a 2x4 to hold the engine in place while working on the tranny
jr91472
Yes I have done this by using a coke bottle jack (because it is narrow and doesn't interfere with the floor jack which I use to support and then lower the tranny). I positioned the coke bottle as far back on the motor as possible. There is actually a small flat spot on the bottom of the oil pan that is ideal.

Once you remove the tranny mounts and begin lowering, the entire drive train will rotate. Then you can unbolt the tranny and pull.

Of course, once the tranny is removed and out of the way, I double up the motor support with a jack stand for redundancy.

good luck.
Dave_Darling
I used a jack stand (with a piece of wood for "padding") under the rear of the engine, near where the trans attaches. That was after loosening the motor mounts, putting a jack under the rear of the trans, unbolting the trans mounts, and lowering the back of the trans. When the engine was resting on the jack stand, I unbolted the engine-transmission bolts, then lowered the jack out of the way.

A few quick yanks on the trans, and it should slide off into your arms. Then you can set it down on some cardboard or whatever is handy. It's not all that heavy (~75 lbs).

--DD
Air_Cooled_Nut
http://www.icbm.org/cmgallery/thumbnails.php?album=62
yarin
Ok... that was my plan. I wanted to make sure I wasn't putting anything at risk.

I'm curious if there is any tranny fluid in there, I wouldn't be surprised. I ordered 4 CV rebuild kits from PMB performance. Can't wait to get this thing back together and start the 2007 autox/DE season.

drunk.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.