Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tranny shifter question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zen motorcycle
my shift linkage seems to be eating the nylon bushings for breakfast lunch and dinner. Has anyone run across this before? Also I am leaking gear oil throught the shift linkage attached to the case. How hard is that bushing to change?

thanks
SLITS
You will find it to be an "O" ring. 40mm X 1.5mm part # 999 701 359 40

or

Bushing 914 303 273 00
Seal 900 112 001 50
Greenguy
QUOTE(zen motorcycle @ Feb 22 2007, 03:56 PM) *

my shift linkage seems to be eating the nylon bushings for breakfast lunch and dinner. Has anyone run across this before? Also I am leaking gear oil throught the shift linkage attached to the case. How hard is that bushing to change?

thanks

I just recently removed the cheaper version of a shortshifter from mine (it had gotten into the clutch tube and caused all kinds of problems). Anyway in the process of doing this I disassembled and overhauled the entire shift linkage: replaced all of the bushings, resurfaced both the front and rear shift rods-which I then primed and painted-replaced the spedo angel o ring, shift selector shaft, seal, and o-ring, and replaced all cone screws. The shift selector shaft, shaft seal and o-ring, is the area that you mention is leaking on yours and is a pretty easy fix. In one tech article that I had read it stated that roll pins in the shift selector shaft would have to be pressed out, but I was able to get mine out with a hammer and punch. The hardest part of the whole project was getting the firewall bushing installed. With the overhauled linkage and the original shifter, the car shifts as well as any car that I’ve ever owned, and is a 100% improvement over the short shifter that was in the car when I purchased it.

Dr Evil
Bushings for the shifter are available and not expensive or hard to change. If oil is ending up dripping from teh shifter ont he tranny then it is the inner seal which is a PITA to do if you do not have a seal puller. Just collapse it gently and avoid gauling the housing. You will have to remove the whole shift console (2 nuts) so you might as well get the O-ring too. I recommend driving out the roll pin on the inner comb so you can more easily slide the shift shaft back into the housing once the new seal is seated. Doing it the other way involves a little risk of goofing the seal up.
Twystd1
Zen Motorcycle,

I have a special Motorcycle pic just for you.

If I had a motorcycle with a Blown 914 engine

Cheers,

Clayton
zen motorcycle
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Feb 23 2007, 03:04 AM) *

Zen Motorcycle,

I have a special Motorcycle pic just for you.

If I had a motorcycle with a Blown 914 engine

Cheers,

Clayton

I guess you rest your feet on the valve covers biggrin.gif

so you can supercharge a type 4 just not turbo poke.gif
Justinp71
Check your transmission mounts. If they are loose or broken it can lead to worn out bushings.
zen motorcycle
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 23 2007, 04:35 PM) *

Check your transmission mounts. If they are loose or broken it can lead to worn out bushings.

I replaced the transmission mounts with the sport 911 mounts and have checked them several times since install for torque. Thanks for the idea though
Dr Evil
Check your engine mounts as well. You will be supprised how they will look fine, but when you jack your engine up you will see that one may be separated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.