Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie questions...Rennshift and possible rear end noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hi all...

I sold my 914 a couple of years ago and just bought it back (in much better shape than I sold it in - THANKS DAN!) Anyway, I frequently bump reverse going into second and 4th is hard to get into. It will also pop out of first sometimes upon leaving from a stoplight after being at highway speeds, while driving around town is ok. All of the bushings have been replaced and shift linkage adjusted as per the Haynes manual. I've inspected the tunnel to make sure there's no interference. Motor mounts are new and tranny mounts on the way (bought solid mounts - OK?). The tranny is from a low mileage (60k or so) car. Is a Rennshift a worthy investment to help my problems?

Second, there is a growling from the right rear while driving. It happens independent of braking (in other words not brake noise) and gets faster/slower sounding with speed change. It also gets much worse in cornering but only in one direction. What do you gurus think?

THANKS!!!
Jeremy
ws91420
The growling may be a wheel bearing going out. Linkage may not be adjusted right. First popping out may be the expensive one as it sounds it may be the dogteeth wearing out.
So.Cal.914
If the linkage is not adjusted correctly it could cause all those problems, well

maybe not the growl.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif with Welby. It's a wheel bearing. (might be a CV... check there as well)

Also agree with Paul. Adjusting per the manual can be tricky, there's many ways to get there...

That being said, a Rennshifter would "never" hurt. wink.gif
jim_hoyland
Popping out of first is advanced dog tooth wear, recently went through this. My experience with Rennshift is that everything else needs to be sorted out first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.