Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 california 914 smog test?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
does a 1976 914 have to be smogged? Is there a way to get around it? Guy from california on the phone wants to know
drive-ability
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 23 2007, 02:53 PM) *

does a 1976 914 have to be smogged? Is there a way to get around it? Guy from california on the phone wants to know

Yes is the short answer, sorry
dr914@autoatlanta.com
thank you. Poor guy. Hate to sell him any of that crap to bolt on his car.
brp914
agree.gif

all the smog crap needs to be on. Also, shops are not obliged to test any car that comes in. I've had shops refuse to even look at my '76. And if they do, their references for vac hose routing, ignition timing, and whatnot may be wrong leading to confusion with the visual inspection. But a '76 in good condition will pass the emissions test.
Hammy
Any idea where in California? Just heard of a guy in my town buying a 76 from out of state.
DanT
QUOTE(Hammy @ Feb 23 2007, 03:48 PM) *

Any idea where in California? Just heard of a guy in my town buying a 76 from out of state.

not quite sure of your question....any '76 car to be registered anywhere in CA will need to pass the normal bianual smog inspection/test
the cutoff for no longer needing a smog test is '75.
highways

Everywhere in the state requires smog for at least 1976 forward, upon purchase and every two years after that for the rest of the car's life. No plans to grandfather 1976 cars into 'no-smog' status ever.

Does anyone know the precise cutoff date for smog/no smog? Is it 1975? Any month? Year manufacutred, or year sold?
highways
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 23 2007, 03:55 PM) *

So a car manufactured (or is it sold?) in december 1975 does not need smog?
DanT
below is copied directly from DMV website. this should cover it all.

Smog Information

Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or vehicles 1975 and older.

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles.

When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when one of the following occurs:

The transfer occurs between a spouse, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?

Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

Hybrid
1975 year model or older
Diesel powered
Electric
Natural gas powered and has a Gross Vehicle Weight rating of 14,001 lbs. or more.
Motorcycle
Trailer
When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?

The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

The inspection is not required on a transfer if a biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).

Note: Smog certifications are not required for transfers that occur for any motor vehicle that is four or less model years old. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner.

What if my car fails the inspection?

DMV cannot provide technical information or advice in this area. We recommend that you call the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) toll free number at 800-952-5210. You may be eligible to participate in the Voluntary Accelerated Vehicle Retirement Program (also known as the old vehicle buy back program).

Which counties require a smog inspection for the registration renewal?

Alameda Butte Colusa Contra Costa Fresno
Glenn Kern Kings Los Angeles Madera
Marin Merced Monterey Napa Nevada
Orange Sacramento San Benito San Francisco San Joaquin
San Luis Obispo San Mateo Santa Barbara Santa Clara Santa Cruz
Shasta Solano Stanislaus Sutter Tehama
Tulare Ventura Yolo Yuba
There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:

El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.
Follow this link to determine which Zip Codes are included.

Is there a military exemption from the smog inspection?

No, a smog inspection certification is required.

My car is new. Am I still required to get the biennial smog inspection?

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Starting January 1, 2005, owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles

Counties that require biennial smog inspections are listed above.

A family member gave me a car. Is a smog inspection required?

If you acquire a vehicle that is currently registered in California from a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild, you are entitled to an exemption from the smog inspection. Other family members or relations are not exempt and are required to obtain a smog inspection certification.

drive-ability
QUOTE(highways @ Feb 23 2007, 03:55 PM) *

Everywhere in the state requires smog for at least 1976 forward, upon purchase and every two years after that for the rest of the car's life. No plans to grandfather 1976 cars into 'no-smog' status ever.

Does anyone know the precise cutoff date for smog/no smog? Is it 1975? Any month? Year manufacutred, or year sold?

Normally its the model year, IE no smog on 75 and smog tests on 76.
The build date doesn't fit in the equation.
There was some talk on the old 914 club regarding first registration date, meaning a 76 first registered (in or out of Ca. I don't know?) before April may not need a smog but in the thread you got the impression you had to argue you case because the law didn't come into effect until April, hence cars first registered before that date weren't included. This may not be the right situation and I may have the facts all wrong and I have no first hand experience with this, but did here of a member who did. Don't remember who, maybe someone does???
Cap'n Krusty

In most California counties, if not all, 1976 MY cars have to be tested, and must have all emissions related equipment in working order, and it has to pass the tail pipe test. Cars registered in "enhanced testing areas" must be tested on a dyno, otherwise they get the 2 speed idle test.. There is an exemption for parts NLA, either new or used, but all that stuff is available from smog parts brokers, so that's out. There are some "hardship" waivers, but they're for 12 months (IIRC), and are one-time-only. They involve spending to a certain level and retesting, but there's a catch. If the magic number is $400, and the job involves a top-end overhaul, you still have to do the overhaul.

MY is the MY, NOT the production date. The clerks have heard every story you could ever imagine, but the answer's always the same: "No dice, pal."

The Cap'n
grantsfo
So answer is have him convert the car to either natural gas or electric power and the car will be exempt from smog.
DanT
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Feb 23 2007, 04:22 PM) *

So answer is have him convert the car to either natural gas or electric power and the car will be exempt from smog.

Natural gas if he adds balast to the tune of about 6 tons....see above.

and HYBRIDS are exempt yipeeeee. I knew there was a good reason to buy a Prius as my daily beater.
Twystd1
George,

If the guy has a problem getting the car smogged in kali......

Send me a PM.... I know peeps.... cool.gif

Twystd1
anthony
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Feb 23 2007, 04:22 PM) *

Or do a diesel or hybrid conversion as neither need the smog check in CA. I wonder when import hot rodders are going figure out that they could buy a Civic GX or Civic Hybrid chassis and mod the shit out of it without ever having to see a smog check.

Rockaria
sorry for the shameless plug, but I have a 914 cat and egr system available if anyone needs them. (the cat is Hollow) wink.gif
Crazyhippy
How hybrid does it have to be? I can make my car move under strictly electric power for brief periods, then the gas motor takes over and re-charges the battery....

BJH
Hammy
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 23 2007, 03:55 PM) *

not quite sure of your question....any '76 car to be registered anywhere in CA will need to pass the normal bianual smog inspection/test

I know it's all of California. I read dr. 914's question wrong. I thought he said he sold a 76 to a guy in Cali, rung a bell with me because I just heard there's a new '76 in town here and thought maybe the same guy.
Tobra
QUOTE(brp914 @ Feb 23 2007, 03:45 PM) *

agree.gif

all the smog crap needs to be on. Also, shops are not obliged to test any car that comes in. I've had shops refuse to even look at my '76. And if they do, their references for vac hose routing, ignition timing, and whatnot may be wrong leading to confusion with the visual inspection. But a '76 in good condition will pass the emissions test.

To get my old bug(a 49 state car with no cat) to pass, had to lean it out, and the timing spec was too far advanced for the car to run at a reasonable temp. Smogged it, then put it back to where it would run right. L jet 1600 type 1. I bought my 914 due to the elimination of the rolling exemption.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.