Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ignition switch and fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve Thacker
I have a wierd issue maybe one of you know what is happening. I have a intermitant fuel pump problem. I was wondering if the ignition switch has anything to do with it? I know dumb question, but I have to ask. 95% of the time I turn the key to the on position. I hear the fuel pump kick in for its 1.5 sec prerun. Here lately that has not been the case. I hard wired the pump up to the fuse box to test the pump's consistant functionality, All is ok in that dept. Would a bad or going bad ignition switch cause this symptom?

Thanks!!!!
r_towle
Replace the fuel pump relays and the fuses in the control box, drivers side engine compartment...
One of the fuses and one of the relays is for the fuel pum, forget which one...
The fuses do very frequently jiggle loose...also the relays are quite old and due to moisture etc, they need to be replaced every 20 years or so...

All parts are cheap.

Rich
SirAndy
agree.gif

check the relay first.
clean the contacts on the relay and the socket (disconnect battery to do so) ...
if the relay seems to wiggle in the socket, pry the pins out a bit to give it some preload.

move relays around to check, they're all the same, you can use them in any socket.
you can also use your headlight relays for testing, they're the same also.

later,
Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.