Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to use to get the 901 cases to look very good.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
What would you use to clean first? I have bought a new large beading case that I think the trans would fit into. There are doors on each end. Any warnings beside pressure at 50lbs or so? What would you do to clean before and what can you do to keep it looking clean for some time? Can you clear coat with catalyzed topcoat? I have a true industrial 5 HP 3ph compressor with lots of clean air.

Picture is sporto trans but clean.

Thanks,

Bob
914werke
I dismantled mine then glass beaded the case.
Even though now clean after 30 years of gime its pretty stained.
I then repainted with Wurths but I have the same question about
sealer / clearcoat /sealer?
bondo
I put mine in an industrial parts washer, then powder coated it.
PRS914-6
Yes, glass beading works well even at high pressure. You should assemble the bare case and plug all openings to prevent the media from going inside though. I clear coated mine afterwards just to aid in future cleaning.

Here you go.....
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
I had mine tumbled before assembly.

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Walnut.
burton73
That is clean. The PO says there was a rebuild done 2,000 miles ago. That was 15 YEARS AGO He says it has 906 gears hand polished. I do not know shit but if I did not have it apart to clean it the better for me unless it will get screwed up. Dr. Evil? I have never taken apart a trans.

Bob

burton73
Eric, you just switch between materials in your cabinet? Where do get your walnut. Not the same stuff I used to clean my brass for loading ammunition.

Bob
Eric_Shea
No I just take it to a guy that does walnut. My cab. is too small and too much of a PITA. I find it's cheaper in the long run to job that stuff out.

Walnut does make them look brand spanking new though.
brant
I think the picture in the very first post is an aluminum case'd 901
you'll never get magnesium to look quite as good as aluminum

Dr Evil
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 24 2007, 04:46 PM) *

That is clean. The PO says there was a rebuild done 2,000 miles ago. That was 15 YEARS AGO He says it has 906 gears hand polished. I do not know shit but if I did not have it apart to clean it the better for me unless it will get screwed up. Dr. Evil? I have never taken apart a trans.

Bob

Sup Bob? Follow my link in my sig line for instructions on pulling the stack. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Where is T H O M A S? He did his and then clear coated it. Also, talk to ScottyB as he was working on diong the same thing. You can get them to look very nice with clear and it is not a problem. But, for those of you that are blast cabinet challenged, I recommend taking the chunky stuff off with a scraper and then hitting it with some easy-off oven cleaner. Works like a champ!
9146FAN
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 24 2007, 11:25 PM) *

I think the picture in the very first post is an aluminum case'd 901
you'll never get magnesium to look quite as good as aluminum

Looks like a sporto to me. Very nice to look at.
zymurgist
Oh man.

Can't think of a better way to start the week than by checking out some tranny pr0n. biggrin.gif
PRS914-6
I thought I should mention that I use a combination of media not just glass beads. I toss in a bag of aluminum oxide with the glass beads. The nice part about glass beads is that they leave a great finish but don't cut worth a crap. The aluminum oxide cuts really well because it is a sharp media but the finish is not real good. a 30% blend of the aluminum seems to be a good balance of finish and debris removal.
Eric_Shea
Brant's spot on. Mag never looks as good as you want it to.

Paul's looks the best of anything I've seen here.

Motorsport here in SLC uses the walnut and the ones I saw there looked like they came off the line. Much like Paul's.

idea.gif (Paul's just a quick jaunt to the left on I-80... maybe I'll just drop a tranny off on his front porch, if I can find the place) biggrin.gif
MrKona
Here's my donor next to the good case, plastic media blasted...

Eric_Shea
Beautious...
scotty b
Where is T H O M A S? He did his and then clear coated it. Also, talk to ScottyB as he was working on diong the same thing. You can get them to look very nice with clear and it is not a problem. But, for those of you that are blast cabinet challenged, I recommend taking the chunky stuff off with a scraper and then hitting it with some easy-off oven cleaner. Works like a champ!
[/quote]

Yes. werking on it .....slowly....Now that I have coated all of the suspension, and the Mazda from hell is done MAYBE I get get back to the tranny dry.gif I'm going to be coating my dads with a silver but I would bet that a glass beading and a SEMI gloss clear powder coat would look pretty much like stock, maybe even better aktion035.gif
914werke
What clear would you use that wouldnt yellow or flake off from the heat? blink.gif
xitspd
http://www.tagnite.com/dow_coating.htm

Terry Caldwell used used Dow 17 on the Minor/Beck magnesium Top Fuel Injectors. Next time I do a Mag 915 or a 901 I will try it.

Dan
burton73
Dan,

I was looking over the Dow 17, what I could understand on the web. It did say it was for Magnesium. It looks like it is green. I take it that it gives you a good base to paint over if you do not like green? I have questions but could call one of the vendors on the Google page. The question is the case of the trans. Mag.

This was something I was reading in the Porsche 914 Wiki
The 914/11 and 914/12 are the stock transmissions used in the 914 car. It is believed that Porsche set 138 lb/ft (sand cast aluminum) and 148.5 lb/ft (die cast aluminum) maximum torque values for the 901.

A finish that would not change that much over time would be nice.

Bob

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.