Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: How to paint my motorcycle?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
The patient:
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/goldwi...ldwingstats.htm
I ride her when the weather is not raining, any time of the year.

The goal:
To paint my motorcycle plastic parts at home. To be honest, if I can use a spray can to do it, like the type that have the new vertical (or horizontal) spray head (as opposed to the traditional cone style), I'd rather do that. I do have a nice air compressor BUT I do not have a spray gun nor do I wish to add that particular tool to my collection.

This is a small job and I'll be removing the parts from the bike and the carbon fiber from the parts. The greenish coloration looks ugly and it's also starting to lift from the parts in spots.

What I need to know is:
Prep. Sandpaper grit to use at each step. I do have an orbital air sander.
Paint to use. Brand recommendations, paint type (enamal, acrylic, etc.).
Clear coat if necessary. Like paint recommendations above.

I have painted small parts in the past with good results as I do follow directions (clean, temp, etc.).
Click to view attachment
burton73
If you want to go with factory Honda candy colors, there is a company that sells them in cans. You need to take your time and apply the under color then the top color. For just a non-candy color it is easy. You do have to prep before and then in between each coat and then color sand and polish the paint. It can all be done by hand. Look up on the web for the way to do it. You have to buff it out or you will never get it right but with some work it can look great. I started on motorcycles at 16 before cars. The size was right and you could get lacquer that would buff out great. 1970 CB750 still in high school, brand new $1,440. Out the door.

Bob
PORobinSCHE
hello, i painted my 81 interstate a few years back. most important thing; don't skimp on the prep. the plastic will hold paint very well. but make sure all your sanding marks are taken care of. i had to redo a couple of pieces ,because i didn't get the part smoooooth enough..

Robin aktion035.gif
Rusty
If you're doing the job yourself, talk to the folks at your auto-body supply company. They'll steer you right when it comes to flex-additives, which you'll need if you're going to paint plastic.

I've had excellent luck with PPG products. YMMV.

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.