Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake hoses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
I was searching for Staubli disconnects for the clutch on my GT3RS, and came across this article.

Of course its biased towards SS brake lines..Then again it shows testing of SS lines per required standards.. and the SS line exceeds the requirements of the tests..

FYI of course

http://www.goodridge.net/usa/pdf/all_marke...ss_v_rubber.pdf
TimT
BTW I need a (one) Staubli SPH05/BA connector... female

Ill buy a male/female set if necessary
SirAndy
interesting read, but it seems that lots of their data for the rubber hose came from other sources and not tests performed by them ...

i think we'll be hardpressed to get a completely unbiased look at this question.
too much money involved on both sides ...
dry.gif Andy
TimT
I did mention it was heavily biased by towards Goodridges hose..

Ive been using SS hose on my cars for 20 years or so without any issues....

My GT3RS came from Porsche with SS hose..

SS hose cant be that bad. Reading some threads here you would think using SS for brake hose on your car will cause immediate fatalities..

TimT
Also it doesn't matter whether or not they tested rubber hose..

The hose they manufacture exceeds the minimum requirements easily.
SirAndy
QUOTE(TimT @ Feb 24 2007, 05:53 PM) *

SS hose cant be that bad. Reading some threads here you would think using SS for brake hose on your car will cause immediate fatalities..

like i said, it'll be hard to get a completely unbiased look ...

i think the main issue some people have with the braided SS hoses is not that they are of inferior quality, but rather that *if* they fail, they fail without warning signs.

on a rubber hose, you can easily check visually if they're in good working condition. you can easily spot cracks developing or the hose "bulging" from a cracked inner lining.

on a SS hose, there is no such thing as a visual inspection.

especially in a race car, there certainly is a benefit to using a SS hose. but i would replace them regularily and run them no longer than a single season before replacing.

of course, that's just my (totally biased) opinion ...
biggrin.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.