Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for the carb guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
FYI - Running Dual Dell DRLA 40's. Is there supposed to be a gasket between the manifold and the head?
SirAndy
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Feb 24 2007, 05:50 PM) *

FYI - Running Dual Dell DRLA 40's. Is there supposed to be a gasket between the manifold and the head?

usually a thin paper gasket. i ran the much thicker, stock FI gaskets. they create a heat barrier between the heads and the manifolds that prevents the fuel from boiling in the carbs after a long run.
while the car is driven, the manifolds and carbs stay cool, but as soon as you get to a stop, the heat creeps up the manifolds from the heads and the carbs can get pretty damm hot.

the thicker FI gaskets help preventing that ...
smile.gif Andy
SGB
Definitely want the thicker heat barriers. Hot manifolds can induce some strange re-starting difficulties. I've had a few gas percolating in the carbs events in July or August still, but it was tons worse without bariers.
ahdoman
This is what came off. This seems to be a plastic center with paper on either side. It also has some sort of black rubber / sealant on it as well. Does the paper gasket on both sides get replaced?
Aaron Cox
thats the stock FI phenoloc type andy was talking about...

you replace that whole piece...
ahdoman
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Feb 24 2007, 06:09 PM) *

thats the stock FI phenoloc type andy was talking about...

you replace that whole piece...

Thanks Aaron. I found an old thread where you mention some really nice ones from Raby. I went to his website but since there are no pics nor good description I can't tell which ones are the right ones. Any idea what the part number is?
Aaron Cox
his are some new material.... i think he said 50 bucks for his super ones.

you can get the OE ones at pelican for around 5 bucks each i would guess.
andys
Or, make some gaskets using gasket material.......Got some, so we can make 'em on Sunday. Yup, paper gasket on each side.

Andys
ahdoman
QUOTE(andys @ Feb 24 2007, 06:30 PM) *

Or, make some gaskets using gasket material.......Got some, so we can make 'em on Sunday. Yup, paper gasket on each side.

Andys

Thanks Andy. So should I peel the paper off the plastic or leave it there?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.