Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear 5 lug conversion- what rotor to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
Hey guys the previous owner of my 75 chassis had the rear rotors/hubs redrilled to the 911 5 lug pattern. I have to look at them closer but it appears that the rotors were drilled and tapped with a thread so you would install the wheels with a lug bolt rather than a lug nut. I am thinking now that the hub is already drilled wouldn't it be better to have studs installed? But what rotor do you then use? Is it as simple as buying 914-6 rotors and bolting them on? Or is there another rotor that will bolt on? I don't like the idea of every time new rotors are needed that they have to be drilled by a machine shop. And yes I am converting the fronts to 911 struts/hubs/brakes etc. Any advice is appreciated. bye1.gif
Gary
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Feb 25 2007, 06:10 AM) *

I am thinking now that the hub is already drilled wouldn't it be better to have studs installed? But what rotor do you then use? Is it as simple as buying 914-6 rotors and bolting them on?

Studs are good - you'll have to have the holes reamed to the correct size. A search on this forum should help you with that.

The 914-6 rotors are a bolt-on affair. They even have the hole for the machine screw to hold them to the hub.
rfuerst911sc
Thanks Gary. After I asked this question I did a search and found info from Eric Shea and I have emailed him. It appears the most cost efficient is studs in the existing hubs and use 914-6 rotors that way you can keep stock calipers.
Eric_Shea
914-6 Rotor as per Gary. However!

With the price of 914-6 rotors these days, it may actually be advantageous to get a 914-4 rotor and take it to a competent machine shop to have them drilled to 5-lug. It will probably end up being about $20 clams less.

You can also go with a vented 911 rotor but you'll need to do some calipers massaging.

Haven't received the e-mail yet but, we've got stacks of hubs for ya wink.gif
rfuerst911sc
Eric I sent the email to the address on your website, let me know if it doesn't show up as I've got questions. Thanks
Aaron Cox
E dawg.... (eric)

could you use solid 911 rears? same 'offset' from the hub so to speak?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.