Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Knob Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ldino21
I recently received the Crush Sleeve so I could reinstall the original shift knob on my 73-1.7 but I cant seem to get it to stay on tightly. What is the Secret?? The only thing that seems to work a little, is putting the sleeve and knob on together and then pulling the knob up slightly as it tightens, it holds somewhat but if I put any force on it either way it comes loose.

HELP PLEASE???
TheCabinetmaker
Put the washer on the end of the shifter
Put the knob over the washer
Smack with heel of hand
fiid
I didn't get the original shift knob with my 914. The one that came with it had a porsche crest on the top, and I could never get it tight. I changed to an aftermarket MOMO shift knob, which is helf to the shaft with 3 pointy grub screws. Since the change the shift knob has been rock solid, plus it is easily removed and re-set in place. I heartily recommend this approach.
SirAndy
i used JB-Weld and black electrical tape.

works ok for me cool.gif
Andy
Brad Roberts
You did what ?? I guess that knob NEVER needs to come off again.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 25 2003, 11:57 AM)
You did what ?? I guess that knob NEVER needs to come off again.

long story ...
the shift lever is hollow, the shift-knob (with the scorpion) is threaded.
so, i screwed a long stud into the shift-knob, secured it with a nut, then used JB-Weld around the stud to bond to the shift-lever.
didn't work quite as expected. the JB-Weld didn't bond well, but the material i added around the stud is enough to hold it in place. when i hooked up the electrical to the shift-knob, i used electrical tape to secure the wires.

the knob doesn't move up/down but if you try really hard, you can rotate it left/right.
works for me until i get a rennshift ...

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.